the truth about electric cars

310golfr

15 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

By that logic no road legal high performance cars should ever exist and people should never buy them.

Yet here we are, people driving around with all sort of cars.

The benefit with EV is that one can experience the power safely from 0 mph to legal speed limit. But I drive around in chill mode and let autopilot do the speed as much as possible. A squirt of power to jump out of blind spots never hurts.

The average driver just is not capable of handling them safely, just like guns. You have the money, you can walk into a car showroom slap your money on the desk and drive away behind the wheel of a lethal killing machine. My 2 litre diesel 150hp car has all the squirt of power you would need to jump out of blind spots, not that you should be applying power in blind spots, because as the name implies, it's a blind spot and so are you at that moment, and you could be hurtling into a massive crash

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

The average driver just is not capable of handling them safely, just like guns. You have the money, you can walk into a car showroom slap your money on the desk and drive away behind the wheel of a lethal killing machine. My 2 litre diesel 150hp car has all the squirt of power you would need to jump out of blind spots, not that you should be applying power in blind spots, because as the name implies, it's a blind spot and so are you at that moment, and you could be hurtling into a massive crash

Good for you, and by your logic, no one would ever need more than 150 hp of power.

Reminds me of this misquote:

68a75x1v2ez21.jpg?auto=webp&s=ac4682fe1e

• Like 2

Well, as I said earlier, we are getting better at the efficiency of cars and my old diesel Superb Mk2 was 170HP and the new one is only 150HP and yet it as quick 0 to 62 mph as the old one was so yes, I think for, certainly for the UK roads 150HP is enough, top speed of 135mph with the highest legal speed limit of 70mph is more than enough really. It is not quite a pocket rocket, but it certainly is very easy to lose your licence with it if you don't hold it in check.

Speaking of RAM, I currently have 32GB in my pc.😂

Edited by Graham Butcher

3 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Both is achievable with EV :D

Yes. But Unfortunately unlike Ampera/i3 REx, the Nissan e-power is 100% fossil fuel powered. No option to plug in.

In terms of capability it's not special at all. 100% of its energy still comes from combustion and 100% of its energy still produces tailpipe emissions.

But the fact it de-couples ICE from wheels mean it has potential to have good EV driving feel. It's about time we de-couple ICE from cars, de-couple the idea that ICE is the soul of the car.

so it really is just like a goold old British Rail Type 40 loco lol

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Re E10.   Just so that there is no internet myth. 'Up to 10% Bio ethanol'.   Not all has. 10%

E5 up to 5% Bio-Ethanol. not all has the up to amount. 

There is an updated version of this. 

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg.8ddc6b08650f943c4c82d9410a61fbbc.jpg

Screenshot2024-02-0314_07_34.jpg.041ab826a1236ac2d99eda447f61f7f1.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Groan 1

Just as happens pretty much all the time & has been for decades with Automatic cars and people that should maybe no longer be driving even if it is only down to the shops.

Many of them can barely park a car and has to drive in forwards and can not reverse out are often in a Hybrid / PHEV now and there are ones in BEV,s.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

In expectation of the question why would the Fuel Suppliers not use as much Ethanol as they can.

The answer the DfT, DVSA, HMRC, Treasury, Transport or Environment ministers, PM or anyone in Government in the UK will not give.

The UK Government never backed the UK Ethonol Producers and some or all went to the wall.

The UK is an Island Nation, or 4 island nations and there are import issues, costs and storage.

The fuels with Ethanol can cause storage issues due to how hygroscopic & depots and equipment is what it is.

Lots of UK fuels are not bunkered in the UK but where they are there can be issues, and then fuels are imported already formulated / refined and some are bunkered at sea in tankers just as oil is pre refinining. 

Long story short, bio ethanol might not actually cost the producers / importers less than the Gasoline, Butane etc. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

148 pages and some of the posts are even about EV,s / BEV,s and are we nearer the truth.

It is noted that some posting like in the past days have not even posted about EV.s.   Oddish. 

As to Nit picker.  I

f the hat fits wear it, and groan at others posts.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 13.16.52.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Thanks 3
  • Groan 1

Good recount of an American (?) EV owner renting an EV over here from Hertz:

It's clear Hertz way of operating is not friendly to EV renting and generally gives a bad experience. Requiring 80% on return and forgetting to provide public charging roaming RFID.

The more friendly way is to have destination charging at drop off, require drop off at above 30% and only dash out penalty if the car wasn't plugged in. The car can be geo-fence auto set to 80% to preserve battery health in case it doesn't get rented straight away.

The video reminded me to look on Hertz direct. I previously booked an EV for 5 people summer holiday around Faro, Portugal. Multi-provider site returned around £260 for a "standard car", a bit more for similar size hybrid (so don't have to listen to engine drone running air-con). I originally booked an "ID4 or similar" for £330. Looking on Hertz direct, it's £180 for Polestar 2 and £199 for Model 3. Sufficient to say I'm booking the M3 with Hertz on Monday. There's a Tesla supercharger a bit up the road near motorway (I think) junction. Booking any other EV means I'd have to navigate the confusing mess that is Portugal public chargers. The hotel slow charger requires signing up to something in Portuguese and fill in a VAT number.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, olddog said:

Do any of ye know what the title of this thread is ?

I think that if you look hard enough, that most of them are in some fashion, even loosely related to the threads title 👍 Ones truth will be another's untruth, just all things in life, it's a matter of a person's viewpoint. 

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

Good recount of an American (?) EV owner renting an EV over here from Hertz:

A brit Ex Pat living in the US :)

I really like his Big (& Small) car series

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wyx087 said:

The more friendly way is to have destination charging at drop off, require drop off at above 30% and only dash out penalty if the car wasn't plugged in. The car can be geo-fence auto set to 80% to preserve battery health in case it doesn't get rented straight away.

The video just highlights a few of the drawbacks of EV cars in general, although these are particularly bad in the case of a rental at an airport. AS he said, he got diverted off the motorway due to road works etc, and this type of thing can happen at anytime of the day or night for a variety of reasons, all of which are outside the drivers control and so it is easy to find maybe find yourself arriving below the 80% threshold with very limited time remaining in order to make checking in time for your flight. So what do you do? Hunt down a charger and hope that its free and working and also that you can top the battery to just over 80% and get back to the rental depot, and still make the check in on time? Unlike a ICE car, it only takes a few more seconds to fill an empty tank  than it does to put in a couple of gallons???

I think EV cars do not make a good choice to rent under those circumstances.

^^^ Exactly the issue at the Capital City of Scotland's Airport.

The City of Edinburgh / CPS / BP Pulse rapid chargers @ the Airport Park & Ride have been out of commission since last October.

Those returning with a non Tesla hire car discover this, and might then head out to the BP filling station for the 2 chargers there, or along to the BP at Newbridge for the new chargers, then get back to the airport. 

Non of this can be less than 20 minutes longer than if they had got on the Park & ride as far as travel.  Actually can be quicker though as they are Ultra Rapid chargers.

79 pence a kWh instead of 55 pence, bit that is the least of their expenses / worry.

It is a farce.  An actual scandal. 

• Like 1

Ok, this is the type of thing that makes zero sense to me, this amount of insane HP on a BEV which already have bonkers acceleration from the get go, why do they think that anybody actually needs that amount of power, 1100HP?

BYD to test appetite for huge, 1100bhp Defender rival at Geneva | Autocar

1 minute ago, Graham Butcher said:

Ok, this is the type of thing that makes zero sense to me, this amount of insane HP on a BEV which already have bonkers acceleration from the get go, why do they think that anybody actually needs that amount of power, 1100HP?

BYD to test appetite for huge, 1100bhp Defender rival at Geneva | Autocar

To get to your destination before you need to recharge....? 🤔

• Cheeky 1

There is more chance of seeing these knocking about and very likely at the same speeds as any other fast cars there are on the roads or even slower ones.

They do not wear a cloak of invisibility.  

At least when someone boots one up a road you do not have to hear them for ages like many a Warm or Hot hatch or bucket of rust that do make more noise than speed.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1