Weather

skomaz

Walking dog in rain on West coast and charging car and heading home to the north east before the weather really hits.  Taking this Amber Warning seriously as the ground is really wet from last week in Tayside and Aberdeenshire and there will be road disruption.  

PS.  Home to what is an upgraded RED weather warning for this area inland.  Seemingly very rare when it is just to be rain.  The amber and yellows are near and on the coast for wind, sea surges and river flooding.     Time will tell but the upgrade in the warning is seemingly because possibly unrelentless and a month's rainfall in 48 hours.   Lovely and warm and calm just now. 

2 of my railway lines in my area are currently closed due to flooding since about 11am.

might get one of them open tonight, but the other will do well to be operational tomorrow as theres signalling damage done by it 

https://www.thejournal.ie/midleton-flooding-cork-6200763-Oct2023/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not sure I'll sleep much tonight, new field drain got us through the bad weather the other week just but this is supposedly worse.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

Torrential already in Forfar, windy & 9*oC but feels much colder.

My sister reports "Vicious easterly wind, horizontal rain, power off 30 mins ago" from near Bridge of Cally - about 15 miles East of you.

Good luck all ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've got water coming in the ceiling of the front room already, started with the last storm. Something is unsealed at the front so when the wind hits in it comes.

Rain is like a hosepipe in a hurricane right now. Weather apps showing this as the worst part of today so I'm hoping that's right.
Checked the drainage system a few days ago and  lo, one of the pumps isn't working. They only work one at a time anyway so as long as it keeps running we're no worse off but we have no backup.
I ordered a petrol pump from amazon yesterday. Could only get a a little 2 stroke for delivery today but it can shift 15000l an hour in theory.

Not feeling great I have to say

• Sad 9

53 minutes ago, Aspman said:

We've got water coming in the ceiling of the front room already, started with the last storm. Something is unsealed at the front so when the wind hits in it comes.

Been there done that 18 months ago on the front of our house in both bays and through the window frames as well - ended up the getting both front bays re-roofed and all the front windows replaced (turns out there weren't enough frame drainage holes drilled in the latter and the rain was so heavy it was filling them up and overflowing inside from the beading.

All I can say is good luck, punch some holes in the ceiling if needed to let the water out and get some buckets under them (string pushed into the holes in the ceiling and led to buckets etc. can also act as a 'guide' for the water / drips etc, if needed)

• Like 3

No travel from 6 o'clock in this area is a laugh really.

It is serious out there now dodging breaking branches, blowing about bins and corners of junctions and and dips are flooding now and a wind that will take you off your feet.

Wind up radio, batteries, torches at the ready. Flasks filled.   If there are no power cuts it is a miracle.

There are accidents blocking / closing roads already and this is not the time for recovery of vehicles / people.

I was talking to Care Home staff about getting home to Dundee tonight, it is time to head there pretty much now as there will be chaos around Dundee from any direction.

Edited by Rooted

39 minutes ago, Rooted said:

I was talking to Care Home staff about getting home to Dundee tonight, it is time to head there pretty much now as there will be chaos around Dundee from any direction.

Can you not stay where you are for the next day or so, George?  All the weather guesses are saying the next 24 hours or so are the worst.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paws4Thot said:

Wind sounds to have dropped on the West Coast...

Despite the doom & gloom warnings it's a lovely sunny Autumn day here on The Wirral.  Rain overnight but clear now and light breeze.  Makes me wonder when the "gotcha" will land ...

3 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

Wind sounds to have dropped on the West Coast...

Just now, MikeTheThinker said:

Despite the doom & gloom warnings it's a lovely sunny Autumn day here on The Wirral.  Rain overnight but clear now and light breeze.  Makes me wonder when the "gotcha" will land ...

@AnnoyingPentium Ryan?

@MikeTheThinkeri have no place i need to go really other than nearby and taking the dog out,

i have all the gear and plenty ideas, just not good at walking far so i just need to head up hill a bit from home in the 4x4 to let her run.

Sea jumps in rivers and swims in the sea but not happy in the rain.

Drain flooding and backing up into the toilet or shower will be more of an issue. 

35 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

@AnnoyingPentium Ryan?

In Glasgow at the moment where its cauld damp and windy... what's new? :D

Wasn't too bad leaving Ayr earlier, just a bit to the chilly side. 

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Been there done that 18 months ago on the front of our house in both bays and through the window frames as well - ended up the getting both front bays re-roofed and all the front windows replaced (turns out there weren't enough frame drainage holes drilled in the latter and the rain was so heavy it was filling them up and overflowing inside from the beading.

All I can say is good luck, punch some holes in the ceiling if needed to let the water out and get some buckets under them (string pushed into the holes in the ceiling and led to buckets etc. can also act as a 'guide' for the water / drips etc, if needed)

We've poked holes and let the water out the string is a good call.
We think the little juliette balcony is retaining water, there is a pipe out of it but it's not running well, I checked it for blockages the other week and there were non but I don't think it's set at the lowest point. Half-arsed as usual. It's letting water build up then then pressure just pushes it through any weaknesses.

I ended up taking a core bit and cutting a hole in the composite plank to let me feed in a wet vac and sucked out about 20l of water. It'll come back but it has reduced the drips for now.
Rain has been off for about the last 90min but just restarted for round two.

Tonight is looking the worst with heavy rain midnight to 6am.

My Dad is local to George so getting the same updates, he's at the top of a hill in town so will be ok unless he gets a leak.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

@AspmanNot much traffic coming in or out the  Kingsmuir / Carnoustie road but just spotted the Fish van from Arbroath. 

For anyone that does not know the South Esk & the North Esk starts in the Cairgorms.

South Esk through Glen Doll the Glen Clova and down under the A90 @ Finavon & to Brechin & down to the the Montrose Basin & to the sea.

North Esk is at Loch Lee through Glen Esk, Edzell, under the A90 and flowing to 4 miles north of Montrose.

Lots of places where they break over the bank and flood.

The river once high in Brechin is quite a sight.

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

In Glasgow at the moment where its cauld damp and windy... what's new? :D

Wasn't too bad leaving Ayr earlier, just a bit to the chilly side. 

Also @MikeTheThinker - Looking like the Met Office may be pessimistic this side then?

Edited by Paws4Thot

The sky has started to cloud over in the last hour or so, but only light and patchy cover.  Wind has died almost completely.  Forecast calls for rain showers developing towards teatime and into the night.  Heavier, more persistent rainfall forecast from the early hours and throughout the day tomorrow but with only light winds.
From what I can see from the assorted weather maps the worst storm effects are quite localised and often banded and linked to higher ground - Snowdonia and the Pennines look to be in for a good drenching.

Edited by MikeTheThinker

South East of Scotland North of England and heading south poor weather in a couple of days.

Weather people already had enough of telling us 2 months of rain will fall in 1 day, it was to start with 1 months worth in 2 days.

The Red Weather Warning start is still 3 hours away. 

Edited by Rooted

The storms seems to be getting squeezed by high pressure over scandinavia making the worse of it into a nasty narrow band over NE Scotland and not that bad in the West.

They've shut one of the bridges in Perth and have closed all the flood gates (must have found the keys or been able to wake Davie at the depot up long enough this time)*.
* Perth council in the last flood didn't shut a couple of the flood gates and the water flooded some of the city. Lots of excuses from Met office didn't say, Pitlochry Dam didn't say they'd opened the sluices. But basically they didn't shut a gate they should have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-67053128