Pets of Brisky - Let's See 'Em...

AnnoyingPentium

My first pet .Another one from days of yore. His girth is self inflicted. We lived in a little village in the Highlands, where it was more usual to see a Cairn than any other breed. He's finish his feed and then ask to be let out. His usual route took him to the downstairs shop, where after avoiding the cat ( or surprising it ) he'd give the assistant his party tricks in exchange for cold meat or any other goodies. Next stop the two butchers and the other grocers stores.

He only had two enemies. One was a Black Lab. The other was the cat in the downstairs store, where he'd try and surprise it when it sat on a bag of chicken feed. One day he walked into the store to be surprised by cat sitting hidden. Cat jumped on his back. Next day ,the bold lad spotted cat sitting on another bag. He crept behind it and got his revenge on it's tail. Exit cat stage left and Cairn walked out of store with ( I'm certain a large grin).

Not a particularly good photo ,but it was from the 50's  taken on an old Brownie.

sandy_zps0xide34c.webp

• Like 3

AP-Post back, I put a photo of Toby. Twice we caught him with a young sparrow in his mouth. We suspect he'd caught it in mid air. Not a bad feat for a 10 year old dog. But I've seen him at 10-year-old catch a mouse and get ready to send a squirrel on it's way . Lexi is rat happy. Yesterday, she hounded a rat out of a tree nest in a local park. Lexi has a thing with Ducks-she loves chasing them. I've never seen any intent on harming them , not even with Geese.

Edited by VWD
  • Like 2

On 31/03/2022 at 19:27, VWD said:

AP-Post back, I put a photo of Toby. Twice we caught him with a young sparrow in his mouth. We suspect he'd caught it in mid air. Not a bad feat for a 10 year old dog. But I've seen him at 10-year-old catch a mouse and get ready to send a squirrel on it's way . Lexi is rat happy. Yesterday, she hounded a rat out of a tree nest in a local park. Lexi has a thing with Ducks-she loves chasing them. I've never seen any intent on harming them , not even with Geese.

Freddie is the same. He bounds out looking for the wee stuckies (starlings) only for them to bugger off. He just stops and turns to look at me, as if to ask why they've flew away. :D

AP- I'm a great Cairn fancier . They come from my neck of the woods. I've rescued two , but when my last one passed away  I could not find another . But on a trip to a RSPCA place, one dog came bounding out to meet us. Fate perhaps, but I've since found out that she's a cross either of Westie or Light coated Cairn ( same breed actually) and a JRT, possibly  parsons due to lenght of leg. But it fits in with us. I'm from North west Scotland and er indoors is a smoggie lass from an Arbroath family. Our kidfs are SCORKYIES ,so why not a dog from the same line ?

• Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 13:54, Cakemonster said:

Buster, our 14 year old lad (blue and tan on left) meeting his new step sisters last week, Ruby (14, front of shot) and Sasha (15, at the back, sniffing)  all regarding each other with complete indifference. When they're settled they're having a trim and a weight loss program 

20220329_134737.jpg

Buster, I've met two over the years in Nuneaton. Doggie owner friends of ours got first one, as a pup, then a second and the breed is so lovely, that if I could not get a cairn ,I'd have a Border.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

My Gran's wee pup Archie went in for the surgery on the doonstairs area. The vet gave him a cone and he didny like it as he couldn't walk about without catching it on the door frames etc, so my Grampa decided to see what solutions the internet offered. The solution he decided on was to cut one of those swimming pool float noodle thingies up and use that instead.

I don't think the pup is taking it too well, mind you. :D

DSCF2986.thumb.JPG.44968cfc1856292bb3bb08637895cdb3.JPG

Poor Archie.

Mrs Cakemonster has threatened me with a similar fate...😅

Kudos Grampa, much better solution than the "cone of shame"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cakemonster said:

Poor Archie.

Mrs Cakemonster has threatened me with a similar fate...😅

Kudos Grampa, much better solution than the "cone of shame"

Ouch, we'll have to get you one of these things too then! :D

DSCF2984.thumb.JPG.49ce47c24bdb746b6d7a6ba6ccbeb036.JPG

I think from that angle he looks a bit like a blue flower. :giggle:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SNH said:

This is syd. 

After losing my last staffie after being in the family 15yrs I said never again could I go through that heartbreak. 

After a few weeks of something missing in the house when I got up or came in from work I was talked into another and tbh I wouldn't be without her lol. She'll be 2 in sept and is like my shadow, can't go the loo, the shower or even in the car without her. The wife and kids say she's obsessed as she can't be without me and they can't come near me without her getting in the middle of us. 

FB_IMG_1648330542804.jpg

FB_IMG_1648330528674.jpg

FB_IMG_1648330539506.jpg

SNH- I'd never seen one of this breed ,until many years ago I saw one with young kids. The kids could do no wrong, the dog just loved them. At this time I livee nearby and owne/was owned by a border Collie, who was the boss in their relationship. My father visited us with his rescue Poodle. Fair game to the Staffie, till Cindy( our Border) took over. I've only seen a Staffie back off twice. Once was over his attack on this Poodle. Other time was when Butch fancied Cindie's bone. But then my son had a large Staffie, that was absolutely terrified of my little Cairn, after they had an arguement over her meat bowl. She was a pssy cat, till he sniffed her food plate.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, VWD said:

They're amazing dogs, we've only ever had staffies and all have been brilliant. The girls used to dress the last one in dolls clothes and alsorts when they were little lol. 

We got syd at 8 weeks old and she's been a barrel of laughs, complete opposite to the last one she was really quiet and loved the quiet life. This one is an absolute loon, loves to play, swim, give you kisses (always on the mouth), lick you to death. She's just full of energy and sometimes forgets she's not tiny anymore when she's jumping all over you with near on 4st lol.