New 19” tyres required, which ones

My P7’s starting to have more cracks on the tread now.

As I need all 4 at once I’m expecting a big bill so I really want excellent replacements.

I don’t want a jack of all trades master at none all season tyres as sometime next year I’ll be buying a winter set.

I’m not too fussed if I go back to P7’s as they’ve done many miles but I have noticed I’m getting wheel spin in 3rd when it rains a bit but I do only have 3mm left and tyres almost 6 years old.

For some reason I prefer the better known brands.

Any recommendations?

Go for Michelin PS4! Good grip in all conditions (for summer tyres), sharper steering, better feedback information through the steering wheel. Not too noisy.

Just search on this forum, PS4 often come back with positive comments. ;) 

Edited by Bap33

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

Go for Michelin PS4! Good grip in all conditions (for summer tyres), sharper steering, better feedback information through the steering wheel. Not too noisy.

Just search on this forum, PS4 often come back with positive comments. ;) 

As much as I agree with all of this and they are an amazing tyre.

they are so amazing as they use a slightly softer compound meaning they will also wear slightly quicker.

brilliant tyre all round though!

Id go for either of these 3 as the best all round performance 

PilotSport4

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Pirelli P7

2 hours ago, Simon TDI Sport said:

Running Uniroyal rainsport 5 on my Mercedes e class. Will be putting them on the superb when the time comes.

40 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

As much as I agree with all of this and they are an amazing tyre.

they are so amazing as they use a slightly softer compound meaning they will also wear slightly quicker.

brilliant tyre all round though!

Id go for either of these 3 as the best all round performance 

PilotSport4

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Pirelli P7

From my memory there’s PS4 and PS4S. Is there a particular one you’d recommend

4 hours ago, Danoid said:

From my memory there’s PS4 and PS4S. Is there a particular one you’d recommend

If you've been happy with the P7s (at 6 years old they'll be well past their prime), the PS4 will still be a solid upgrade. PS4S won't be necessary or worth it unless you're a B-road thrasher, IMO. 

That said it depends on what's available where you are, in Australia you usually have the choice of PS4 or PS4S in a given size, not both.

5 hours ago, FTTNope said:

If you've been happy with the P7s (at 6 years old they'll be well past their prime), the PS4 will still be a solid upgrade. PS4S won't be necessary or worth it unless you're a B-road thrasher, IMO. 

That said it depends on what's available where you are, in Australia you usually have the choice of PS4 or PS4S in a given size, not both.

I’ve got the choice of either in UK :)

One more question regarding both, does it come with good rim protection? The P7’s have saved me a few times with roads which have horrible kerbs. Google searches the PS4/S is coming up as inconclusive hmm

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

I’ve got the choice of either in UK :)

One more question regarding both, does it come with good rim protection? The P7’s have saved me a few times with roads which have horrible kerbs. Google searches the PS4/S is coming up as inconclusive hmm

Couldn't say, I haven't paid much attention to it on the PS4 I've seen on other cars. Photos of them aren't helping much either.

My Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5s have excellent rim protection though (on my other car which is running 235/40R18 and 255/35R18). I've been really happy with them, and reviews say they're comparable to the PS4 with better steering response.

• Love it! 1

21 hours ago, Danoid said:

As I need all 4 at once I’m expecting a big bill so I really want excellent replacements.

I don’t want a jack of all trades master at none all season tyres as sometime next year I’ll be buying a winter set.

I’m not too fussed if I go back to P7’s as they’ve done many miles but I have noticed I’m getting wheel spin in 3rd when it rains a bit but I do only have 3mm left and tyres almost 6 years old.

Any recommendations?

Pirelli P7s don’t like cold rain, brilliant summer tyre, but poor in wet below about +10c which is why you can spin them.  But not a problem if you use winter tyres from end October to about Easter.

If you want a performance summer tyre then Michelin Pilot sport 4S, or Continental sport contact 6, or Pirelli P zero PZ4

The P7s are more of a general sporty touring tyre (rather than ultra high performance P zero) so perhaps if you have been happy with these, come down a notch with other brands too, to their sport touring ranges (eg Michelin primacy, Continental premium contact etc).  I would personally avoid anything labled Eco as these tend to be very hard and not grippy unless weather is warm/hot

I’ve just fitted Goodyear Asymmetric 5s to mine. They’re great compared to the Bridgestones which were fitter previously. They ride more smoothly, are quieter and have more steering feel too. I had Michelin PS4 on my previous Octavia VRS and I don’t think most people would notice the difference. Both excellent options. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Danoid said:

Any recommendations?

This Goodyear is a stand out tyre, due to the good Euro label B A 70dB, low rolling resistance, good wet braking, low noise, and the 94W rating should make the tyre more flexible and therefore more comfortable compared to 98Y, (ie. lower load index and lower speed index). Many wide low profile tyres that would fit the 19" Superb MK3 rims, are 72dB which would make them noticeably more noisy than 70dB.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 245/40R19 94W (Euro label B A 70dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s326p191492/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_5_-_245_40_R19_94W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Outside Diameter

235/40R19 670.6

245/40R19 678.6

Therefore, 245/40R19 has an outside diameter 1.2% bigger than 235/40R19 (which is hardly noticeable).

235/40R19 and 245/40R19 both fit the same width rims, ie. 8J to 9.5J

Rim Widths for 235/40R19 (8J to 9.5J)

https://www.toyo.co.uk/tirefinder/index/width/235/aspect/40/rim/19

Rim Widths for 245/40R19 (8J to 9.5J)

https://www.toyo.co.uk/tirefinder/index/width/245/aspect/40/rim/19

The wider 245/40R19 will protect the 8J rims better from kerbing than the narrower 235/40R19.

Edited by Carlston

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

This Goodyear is a stand out tyre, due to the good Euro label B A 70dB, low rolling resistance, good wet braking, low noise, and the 94W rating should make the tyre more flexible and therefore more comfortable compared to 98Y, (ie. lower load index and lower speed index). Many wide low profile tyres that would fit the 19" Superb MK3 rims, are 72dB which would make them noticeably more noisy than 70dB

It's worth repeating that the noise level is measured from outside the car, and doesn't necessarily mean louder or quieter inside. Also, fitting a tyre with a lower speed rating than that specified by the car's manufacturer gives your insurer a convenient get-out in the event of a claim.

10 minutes ago, ArisaigDavid said:

...fitting a tyre with a lower speed rating than that specified by the car's manufacturer gives your insurer a convenient get-out in the event of a claim.

The Superb MK3 has never been fitted with Y speed rated tyres.

@Danoid

2 answers for you:

Differences between PS4 and PS4S:

A picture of my PS4 regarding rim protection:

1312732463_4Bap33.jpg.e82c16e535ca2b7a4c

Quite efficient. I really thought I had dammaged it when I hit a kerb this summer, but the rim was ok. Pfewwww!!!! Severals quids saved! ;) 

• Thanks 1

Pilot Sport 4 might just be the best all round summer tyre. It has a perfect balance between performance and comfort. 
Falken FK510 is another good choice. Similar performance than PS4,  but a much lower price. 
Recently I find P Zero PZ4, in 245/40/19 94W with seal inside tech is super cheap here in Australia, at about $160-170 per corner. As contrasts, PS4 priced at $280, FK510 is about $210, PZ4 98Y without seal inside tech is more than $300.

According to the EU label, the cheaper version PZ4 has a noice level at 68dB, so it should as be very quite.  
The only concern is P Zero’s sidewall is always very very very soft.  I have seen dozens of P Zero owners compliant about it.  

19 hours ago, Carlston said:

The Superb MK3 has never been fitted with Y speed rated tyres.

I seem to provide more in the way of apologies to this forum than useful information, and you are undoubtedly correct in what you say.

SurreyJohn had it right about P7s and cold rain. Some time ago I suffered a slightly nervous side-slip from P7s on a wet bend with a lorry coming the other way - not what I bought a £38k AWD car to experience, so I got rid of them with almost 5mm of tread on and have used better tyres ever since because, ultimately, not crashing is more important than anything else. To be honest, the P7s were only there because that's what the car came with. I am using 98Y Michelin PS4 for the summer and, currently, 98V Goodyear Ultragrip Performance+ for the winter (I know, I should have checked that before I wrote my last contribution, but V was the highest available and I checked with my insurer first). Both feel far more capable, and with no obvious differences in noise or comfort between them or compared with the Pirellis.

I can only blame my confusion yesterday on the fact that I had just finished failing to renew my photo driving licence. A brown envelope came through the door on Christmas Eve with "Tax it or lose it" printed on it. Panicking at the thought of my car being crushed when I had taxed it just two weeks earlier, I tore open the envelope to discover that, along with a whole selection of other threats, it was a 'reminder' to renew my driving licence. Now, the letter said that I had two options. Option 1 was to apply online, and they would use my passport photo (taken 3 years ago) to replace my driving licence photo (taken 10 years ago). I look exactly the same in both photos, for better or worse, but if that's what makes them happy..... After much concentration filling out electronic forms, the DVLA decided that my information was incorrect and that I couldn't proceed. OK, option 2 then - apply in person at a participating Post Office branch, even though that would involve being in an indoor public space with no mask on while I had my picture taken. I got on to the Post Office website, to find that my nearest participating Post Office is in Oban - a 170 mile round trip! No chance, but what was I to do? I then spot a sentence on the back of the letter saying that I can get Form D1 - brilliant but, you guessed it, only online or from a participating Post Office! I finally managed to request Form D1 online, and it will apparently arrive in 7-10 days. I don't know why they couldn't have put Form D1 in the envelope in the first place. If anyone is remotely interested I will keep you informed as to progress.

I am definitely right about the noise rating on tyre labels, though.

15 hours ago, elfensin said:

Pilot Sport 4 might just be the best all round summer tyre...

I would prefer a more balanced tyre like the Primacy 4. The PS4 is an UHP (Ultra High Performance) tyre so is likely to have stiffer sidewalls for maximum cornering performance.

Here's an example:

Michelin Primacy 4 245/45R18 96W (Euro label B A 68dB)

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/primacy-4/245/45/R18/W/96/m?tyre=39475655#reviewsOverviewOuter

Michelin PS4S 235/40R19 96Y XL (Euro label C A 71dB)

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4-s/235/40/R19/Y/96/m?tyre=35790930#reviewsOverviewOuter

As you can see from the above, the Primacy 4 has a much lower 68dB noise level (as measured outside the car) and better rolling resistance.

As they are both likely to be fitted to 8J rims if standard Skoda Superb MK3 rims are used, the 245/45 tyre's sidewalls will bulge out more. This not only protects the rims much better from kerbing damage, but provides a more comfortable ride...especially taking into account the higher sidewall height of 245/45 compared to 235/40.

Sidewall height

235/40 94mm

245/45 110.25mm

So the 245/45 tyre has a sidewall height 16.25mm higher than the 235/40 tyre, or over 17%...again resulting in a much improved ride.

The example above, shows the PS4S to be a Y speed rated and XL (eXtra Load) tyre. This will also add to the stiffness of the tyre compared to the Primacy 4's W speed rating and Standard Load tyre.

235/45R18 is the standard 18" tyre size on the Superb MK3...but 245/45R18 only increases the outside diameter by about 1.1% compared to the 235/40R19 tyre size.

So to summarise the above example, the Michelin Primacy 4 in size 245/45R18 with a 96 Standard Load index and W speed rating will ride much better than a Michelin PS4S in size 235/40R19 with a 96 XL (eXtra Load) index and higher Y speed rating...especially when fitted to the same width rims...8J in this case...and be quieter when measured outside the car...have lower rolling resistance...and is a cheaper tyre size. It looks like a win, win, win, win, win, win situation for the 18" tyre compared to the 19" tyre in these specifications.

Edited by Carlston

21 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

@Carlston As far as I've read hear, only an extreme minority of Mk3 owners do use PS4S. PS4 is probably what you meant and much more common among Mk3 owners. ;) 

The example I gave was for a PS4S, but I could have used the similar PS4 to reach exactly the same conclusion. The PS4 in the link below has exactly the same specification including the Euro label as the PS4S that I linked to in my post above.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 235/40R19 96Y XL

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-4/235/40/R19/Y/96/m?tyre=36913765

The main point that I wanted to make, was that a seemingly small change in tyre including size, can make a very big difference to the ride.

For Superb MK3 owners, they may prefer the hard core PS4 or PS4S in size 235/40R19. But for many, a more balanced tyre like the Primacy 4 in size 245/45R18 would provide a much better ride, plus the other benefits that I mentioned above.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlston said:

I would prefer a more balanced tyre like the Primacy 4. The PS4 is an UHP (Ultra High Performance) tyre so is likely to have stiffer sidewalls for maximum cornering performance.

Likely correct to some extent, but the PS4 is often criticised compared to its main Goodyear and Continental alternatives for not having stiff enough sidewalls, to the detriment of steering feel and turn-in response. 

15 hours ago, FTTNope said:

Likely correct to some extent, but the PS4 is often criticised compared to its main Goodyear and Continental alternatives for not having stiff enough sidewalls, to the detriment of steering feel and turn-in response. 

You are talking about petrol heads driving around a race track comparing UHP tyres. This is a world away from setting up a luxury comfort car like the Superb, Mercedes S-Class, etc.

On 31/12/2021 at 00:53, FTTNope said:

Errrr.. Which tyres are you referring to regarding Goodyear and Continental? I've never read such comments here (may be I missed some...)

PS4 sidewalls are quite stiff. I've driven Continental SportContact few years ago, which are direct alternative to PS4 AFAIK. I didn't notice any awesome difference. IMHO They seem me very similar (regarding sidewall stiffness). No advice about Goodyear, I've never driven any equivalent to PS4 from this brand.

Additionally Superb Mk3 (even a TSI280 one) cannot be compared to a 'GTI'... (at least if still stock). ;) 

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

Errrr.. Which tyres are you referring to regarding Goodyear and Continental? I've never read such comments here (may be I missed some...)

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5, Continental PremiumContact 6. Not here, elsewhere, and professional reviews.

Thanks for all the replies.

just to clarify I’ve got the 19” Sirius alloys standard is 235/40/19 can I put on 245/40/19” with zero problems?

The price for 235 compared to 245 is crazy, more tyre with 245 yet about £45 cheaper per tyre :o 

20 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Thanks for all the replies.

just to clarify I’ve got the 19” Sirius alloys standard is 235/40/19 can I put on 245/40/19” with zero problems?

The price for 235 compared to 245 is crazy, more tyre with 245 yet about £45 cheaper per tyre :o 

It’s ok for the car, I’m planning to put 245/40/19 on my car when my customized alloys arrive. But better to check with your insurance company first.