Do you feel mis sold on your mk4

17 minutes ago, Wonderloaf said:

Car is nice, infotainment is utter tripe.

On mine all the Skoda stuff works perfectly fine, climate, radio, phone. It boots up almost instantly too. Android Auto has a bug and it sometimes decides to start at reduced volume like as if I'm backing up. Also it's generally a bit laggy if you want to do something quickly. 

Just now, zetzet said:

On mine all the Skoda stuff works perfectly fine, climate, radio, phone. It boots up almost instantly too. Android Auto has a bug and it sometimes decides to start at reduced volume like as if I'm backing up. Also it's generally a bit laggy if you want to do something quickly. 

This is some of my email to Skoda... lol

1. Car is converting MPH road signs to KMPH when using Travel Assist or Adaptive cruise - I.E. 60MPH signs are seen as 60 KMPH and as such the car is slowing to 37MPH. 37MPH will show in the cruise speed indicator while 60 is shown in the speed sign display. Happens for all speeds.

2. The 'SYNC' function in climate never stays active after the car is turned off and back on.

3. Occasionally the infotainment will not start. It gets stuck on 'Loading Settings'. Fixed by turning the car off, waiting a few minutes for everything to fully power down, then restarting.

4. Occasionally the speakers make a loud popping noise.

5. Satnav refuses to remember settings after a power cycle. It will not save favourite locations, history etc and it will not save the speech guidance as off.

6. When using ACC/Travel assist on dual carriageways my car occasionally brakes for a car I'm overtaking in the left hand lane. On the cruise control display in the dash the other car is shown highlighted white even though it's not in my lane (Cars that aren't detected as an obstacle are shown as grey). Tapping the accelerator pedal will make the display ignore the other car and allow me to pass as normal. Doesn't happen on every dual carriageway, it's almost like the car thinks I'm on a single lane road?

7. Reversing camera sometimes doesn't activate.

1 hour ago, Wonderloaf said:

This is some of my email to Skoda... lol

I see, I don't have sign recognition or satnav. But everything else works on mine, it's a newer build though. Hopefully the update finally comes!

6 hours ago, Wonderloaf said:

Android Auto has a bug and it sometimes decides to start at reduced volume like as if I'm backing up

I have that too but I am not sure it is just Android Auto. While I mostly listen to music streaming through Android Auto I seem to recall that this applies equally to music playing through Bluetooth or radio stations.

And the level of reduction in the volume seems variable.

In any case the workaround is to do a full restart of the Infotainment system (hold down power button for 10 seconds) which, by the way, would not be restarting the Android Auto app in the phone.

Of course I still hope that one day Skoda will issue a software update that cures this.

3 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Of course I still hope that one day Skoda will issue a software update that cures this.

Whether they release it or not should not be the issue imo.

Tell me one thing please, Acc and travel assist cause problems mostly in the UK (different units and driving on the other side)? I have to say I didn’t expect such bad aftersale support, I seriously thought Skoda was better than Renault for example (Megane was also one of the options I considered before ordering Octy). Unfortunately I can’t give you my experience as I am still waiting for mine to be made and delivered. But am following this thread to be prepared.

3 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

In any case the workaround is to do a full restart of the Infotainment system (hold down power button for 10 seconds) which, by the way, would not be restarting the Android Auto app in the phone.

Huh, on mine switching apps and waiting a bit restores the volume without a restart. 

27 minutes ago, zetzet said:

Huh, on mine switching apps and waiting a bit restores the volume without a restart

I have never tried that  and it may also work but switching apps requires more concentration which is distracting.

Even holding down the power button for 10 seconds is distracting.

But I remember switching from Android Auto to the radio and finding the sound was still absent, even though the volume controls appeared to work in terms of the bars visible on the screen which could be adjusted from 50% to 100% with still no sound.

And it was not a case of an accidental press of the Mute button either.

5 minutes ago, DaveFromSydney said:

But I remember switching from Android Auto to the radio and finding the sound was still absent, even though the volume controls appeared to work in terms of the bars visible on the screen which could be adjusted from 50% to 100% with still no sound.

And it was not a case of an accidental press of the Mute button either.

It's probably a different bug. On mine the sound does not disappear, it just gets reduced and it shows an icon of a person speaking when adjusting the volume instead of a speaker. I think it's some kind of sound reduction, like when parking or something. But it happens randomly when starting the car sometimes, even before I start driving. 

3 hours ago, zetzet said:

On mine the sound does not disappear, it just gets reduced and i

I should have said that although it often seems that the sound has gone on other occasions I heard the sound faintly.

And the volume controls then had an effect but only to the extent of 0-100% of the maximum that had already been set.

And it was always on starting the car. Not just first trip of the day but maybe after parking at the shops for half an hour.

Actually it has not occurred for a few weeks now, but with the Covid situation here and also having another car I am not driving the Skoda as much.

That icon of a person speaking sounds as if it is in the notification mode or the voice control mode and you are adjusting the level of the announcements, rather than the media or the navigation.

I love mine '22 Tsi. Just a few bugs on infotainment like equaliser resets (i have to jungle through presets to get it back to normal). Other than that everything works perfect. As of sound, check max startup volume, this setting sets the maximum volume upon start, maybe thats the case. As for sound volume, it is different wherever it is playing throughout BT or android auto/carplay i think it uses different codecs or smth, there is setting called BT sound or smth like that. The only thing i fell missold is that passenger mirror doesn't have auto dim, and I'm pretty sure booklet read that both supposed to have that function :D

Ive had a VRS Estate for just about a year now with about six returns to the dealer for a number of reasons (Heater, Fan Noise, Sat Nav issues) but most importantly is the problem with the Front Assist system applying the emergency braking for no reason what so ever. I have been driving at 40mph on a straight road with no obstacles or potential risk to the car and suddenly the alarm goes off and the brakes go on. I have taken it back to the dealer and they did a software update to rectify the problem but its come back. Quite frankly this is a very dangerous system. I have now turned it off completely before I have an accident. Anyone else suffering from this?

This is the final straw, the car is lethal. I think it will be going back. Its a shame as it is a great car to drive etc..

29 minutes ago, Gussyfishfood said:

Ive had a VRS Estate for just about a year now with about six returns to the dealer for a number of reasons (Heater, Fan Noise, Sat Nav issues) but most importantly is the problem with the Front Assist system applying the emergency braking for no reason what so ever. I have been driving at 40mph on a straight road with no obstacles or potential risk to the car and suddenly the alarm goes off and the brakes go on. I have taken it back to the dealer and they did a software update to rectify the problem but its come back. Quite frankly this is a very dangerous system. I have now turned it off completely before I have an accident. Anyone else suffering from this?

This is the final straw, the car is lethal. I think it will be going back. Its a shame as it is a great car to drive etc..

I had the same thing on a ‘67’ Audi A4… dealer turned downed the sensor to the lowest setting which almost cured the same problem. They couldn’t turn it off as lease company refused. I’ve got the same issue on my new vRS, but am just driving around it now. Not an exclusive Skoda issue, more of a VAG setting to

optimise safety NCAP scores I imagine? Darned regulators  

1 hour ago, Gussyfishfood said:

I suppose you have tried changing the sensitivity as shown below (Advance warning - set to "Late") ? That improved it for me. When it goes off now it is usually justified.

(Mine does not have the Swerve support or Cornering Brake function that are shown in this manual)

Capture.JPG

Edited by DaveFromSydney
  • Like 1

Yes, The infotainment system isn't fit for purpose. The garage had mine in to fix for 8 months. It still has bugs. I'll never get a Skoda again.

Glad others have had no issues though. Makes me wonder how when they have the same software. 

On 09/04/2022 at 10:42, DaveFromSydney said:

I should have said that although it often seems that the sound has gone on other occasions I heard the sound faintly.

And the volume controls then had an effect but only to the extent of 0-100% of the maximum that had already been set.

And it was always on starting the car. Not just first trip of the day but maybe after parking at the shops for half an hour.

Actually it has not occurred for a few weeks now, but with the Covid situation here and also having another car I am not driving the Skoda as much.

That icon of a person speaking sounds as if it is in the notification mode or the voice control mode and you are adjusting the level of the announcements, rather than the media or the navigation.

Mine does this often whilst using android auto, I go to turn the volume up on a song I like and it turns up the I presume alert volume (person speaking icon) what I have found works 100% of the time is by pressing the below button on the wheel then pressing X when it pops up on the infotainment screen. It's very annoying, I need to get it looked at ASAP as also my touch screen is very laggy when inputting addresses its almost impossible to use the screen.

IMG-20211012-123654964-3.jpg

10 hours ago, pokerking01 said:

what I have found works 100% of the time is by pressing the below button on the wheel then pressing X when it pops up on the infotainment screen.

That sounds worth trying. Much faster than a full reset, although a distraction from driving to find the X and press it. Perhaps I could just wait out the timeout while it waits for me to say something.

I will give it a go the next time this happens to me.

13 hours ago, neonplanet40 said:

Glad others have had no issues though. Makes me wonder how when they have the same software. 

We don't. Even the hardware is probably new on the latest builds. I'm on 1889 software, that's not available for older units. 

54 minutes ago, DaveFromSydney said:

That sounds worth trying. Much faster than a full reset, although a distraction from driving to find the X and press it. Perhaps I could just wait out the timeout while it waits for me to say something.

I will give it a go the next time this happens to me.

Let me know if it works, leaving it to time out is a good shout. Other than the two issues I have, every other aspect of the car is perfect! I'm hoping in time software fixes will resolve the issues.

Yes - Had my 22 plate Octavia estate 3 weeks and the SOS drama has raised its head! Every trip now I get the 2 loud clunks from the unit above ya head, 3 phone calls to the dealer who promised 3 times to call me back and didn't till today when I lost my rag and told em what I thought of em . Apparently for anyone who has the SOS fault, there is a new release out at the end of the month, mine is now booked in for it on the 3rd of May.

On 22/04/2022 at 19:08, Royrover said:

Apparently for anyone who has the SOS fault, there is a new release out at the end of the month, mine is now booked in for it on the 3rd of May.

Sorry to say this - it'll be gaslighting, they claim fixes on an almost bimonthly basis now, never seen any.

Had mine for 7 months of living hell.

Delivered it back June last year and got a Passat. After almost a year and 20.000 km. I know know that Vag can make fault free cars.

I hated that faulty piece of junk from inside and out. Was my Skoda number 5, but the last. 

On 22/04/2022 at 19:08, Royrover said:

Yes - Had my 22 plate Octavia estate 3 weeks and the SOS drama has raised its head! Every trip now I get the 2 loud clunks from the unit above ya head, 3 phone calls to the dealer who promised 3 times to call me back and didn't till today when I lost my rag and told em what I thought of em . Apparently for anyone who has the SOS fault, there is a new release out at the end of the month, mine is now booked in for it on the 3rd of May.

May the 4th be with you. 

• Haha 1