E10 petrol!! ahhhh

NascarMike

After using E10 petrol in my Karoq, I noticed an immediate drop in fuel consumption and after reading various report in the general press, I believe other motorists are having the same issue.

If you have petrol, that is only 90% petrol and 10% other liquids (ie ethanol) then logic dictates it will NOT perform the same.

I have reverted back to Shell V Power and noticed an immediate improvement, I know it's more expensive, but it's a price worth paying for this type of quality fuel.

I believe Esso also have a premium fuel,  Esso Synergy 99+ , which contains no ethanol and is slightly cheaper than Shell V Power, not tried it yet, as no local Esso stations, but will give it a go.

Has anyone tried this Esso fuel?

And if so, their opinions-good, bad, no difference?

I know this does not answer your question, but have you calculated the cost per mile for E10 and for the Shell V Power?

I got my Karoq at the same time that E10 hit the forecourts and have only used that fuel.

I would be interested in your costs before trying a premium fuel.

I have always used ordinary unleaded in our otherr (non Skoda) car and the computer mpg reading certainly hasn't dropped. You can never drive the same way in identical conditions on two consecutive tanks of fuel, and consumtion will be worse in cold weather than warm (assuming you don't use aircon).

Also, see this with regards to Esso 99 Octane fuel.

From the Esso Synergy website. Ii appears that Synergy 99 is not necessarily ethanol free, it depends on where you get it.

'Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.'

Edited by Routemaster1461
  • Like 1

I found that the consumption was a little better or the same for me.  I expect the "little better" was due to variance in driving style etc. but for me it seems no worse.   I have to say though that my average for any given trip does vary wildly from 34mpg to 42mpg with no real discenrible difference in journeys and speed etc.

Edited by smipx

12 hours ago, NascarMike said:

After using E10 petrol in my Karoq, I noticed an immediate drop in fuel consumption and after reading various report in the general press, I believe other motorists are having the same issue.

If you have petrol, that is only 90% petrol and 10% other liquids (ie ethanol) then logic dictates it will NOT perform the same.

I have reverted back to Shell V Power and noticed an immediate improvement, I know it's more expensive, but it's a price worth paying for this type of quality fuel.

I believe Esso also have a premium fuel,  Esso Synergy 99+ , which contains no ethanol and is slightly cheaper than Shell V Power, not tried it yet, as no local Esso stations, but will give it a go.

Has anyone tried this Esso fuel?

And if so, their opinions-good, bad, no difference?

Nonsense

Following the sheep on other forum/social media no doubt. 

Reading the profits of doom on other sites I fully expected the fuel consumption to drop on my 2019 1.5 TSI, and was quite surprised that nothing seems to have changed and it averages overall about 42-43 mpg on the readout.

I undersatand that in some countries petrol contains far more ethonol than in the UK ( E85) and as these engines are presumably designed to operate worldwide one would expext few problems with E10.

6 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

Nonsense

Following the sheep on other forum/social media no doubt. 

You seem to have mis-posted - unless your Tesla uses petrol?

• Like 1

The consumption readout is not a good indicator

About 3 years ago I compared normal unleaded with Shell V power 99 for three full tank fulls each.  On my then commute in SW London / Surrey border I was getting upto 11% better mileage. (On an Arona with 1.0tsi DSG)

Its less on open road, but with people reporting about 4% worse consumption on E10 then suggests difference is now 10-15% in mileage.

Therefore with fuel at about £1.42 per litre, it’s a no brainer to choose E5 super unleaded as long as it’s no more than about 14p litre more.  (probably nearer 10p / litre more if no city driving)

• Thanks 1

I filled up our Karoq 1.5TSi 4 x 4 with Tesco Momentum 99 0ctane for the first time the other day to see if it makes any difference vs E10. I've not driven it since as it's my wifes car but according to her it's a bit "livelier". I'll keep an eye on the mpg / range figures & see if it feels any different when I get the chance to drive it next. 

Been running my 2.0 Tsi Sportline on mainly Esso super unleaded since new(Mar 20) and although it's 5p a litre more expensive than E10 the car runs really well and I regularly get 40+mpg on a run. Wouldn't touch E10,heard of too many problems,poor running and poor consumption.

2 hours ago, DockerBob said:

Been running my 2.0 Tsi Sportline on mainly Esso super unleaded since new(Mar 20) and although it's 5p a litre more expensive than E10 the car runs really well and I regularly get 40+mpg on a run. Wouldn't touch E10,heard of too many problems,poor running and poor consumption.

Dont believe everything you hear my vrs wagon runs like a dream on it ,not affect mpg to notice and seams a little livelier on it 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot of the issues with the fuel is down to price really. 

No MPG changes reported here. 

Price of fuel is silly currently. 
MPG can be effected by tyre pressure, outside temperature, weight, altitude change etc 

On 21/01/2022 at 21:30, Karock said:

Reading the profits of doom on other sites I fully expected the fuel consumption to drop on my 2019 1.5 TSI, and was quite surprised that nothing seems to have changed and it averages overall about 42-43 mpg on the readout.

I undersatand that in some countries petrol contains far more ethonol than in the UK ( E85) and as these engines are presumably designed to operate worldwide one would expext few problems with E10.

E85 is available in Australia but there are very few engines that can use it safely. The now defunct locally made Holden brand produced a 'flex-fuel' V6 3.0/3.8L engine that could use our famously poor 91 Octane fuel through to E85. The engineering consisted largely of using appropriate pipes and seals that would not perish under the high ethanol content and probably a bit of variable engine mapping.

The trouble is that E85 has relatively low energy content per litre and but a very high Octane rating whereas 91 ron fuel is the opposite, so there was too much compromise in the engine design to burn either efficiently.

Despite the relatively lower tax rate and price of the E85 the higher power outputs were achieved by burning a lot of ethanol and consumption was awful.

Apparently an experimental modified turbo diesel specifically engineered to run on Ethanol by Ricardo Engineering managed to achieve respectable efficiencies but never went into production.

To the best of my knowledge European engines are only rated to run E10 after a certain year (guessing 2002-ish???).

You may wonder why Australia with successive governments committed to higher carbon outputs should support a supposedly 'green' alternative fuel then you should know that is because the local shonky company that produces Ethanol has made substantial political contributions to both major political parties....'nuff said.

Brazil is the big player in ethanol production and use. 

• Like 1

Generally across the UK this winter it has been quite mild so far.

Those that monitor their fuel use and know how the tyres / pressures / weather etc affects their fuel use from November to now sort of period might know if using E10 has made any difference to how much they have had to buy for their regular usage.

Also if their vehicle has been affected in any way, cold starts, smooth running etc.

There might be those that usually used E5 but when 95 went to E10 they changed to Super Unleaded E5 and have noticed a benefit in using that or no changes in any way that they are aware of.

Others might never have even given it a seconds thought.   

It has been different for many still from a pre Covid winter with changed driving habits.

My partners car dropped a couple of MPG (around 5%) when the switch to E10 happened, but it is hard to attribute those changes with so many other variables.

I filled it with E5 last week as there was no E10, the only difference she has noticed so far is that the occasional lumpy idle hasn't happened (yet).

• 1 year later...

UK filling stations will mostly now have Summer formulation E10, E5 and diesel standard or premium in their tanks.   Maybe more bio in the E10 or even E5 than there has been since November.     Lots of posts about Engine Lights on or fault codes being read might be expected.   Then there are plenty cars that could maybe do with new spark plugs now the air filter at least looked at, and the brakes and other stuff having a post winter service or inspection.   Diesels getting a new fuel filter if not done for a few years.   Maybe a AdBlue top up. 

Edited by toot

26 minutes ago, toot said:

UK filling stations will mostly now have Summer formulation E10, E5 and diesel standard or premium in their tanks.   Maybe more bio in the E10 or even E5 than there has been since November.     Lots of posts about Engine Lights on or fault codes being read might be expected.   Then there are plenty cars that could maybe do with new spark plugs now the air filter at least looked at, and the brakes and other stuff having a post winter service or inspection.   Diesels getting a new fuel filter if not done for a few years.   Maybe a AdBlue top up. 

If heading to France in one's Fabia VRS, early Audi TT or the like, that needs E5 fuel, will up before you get on the Ferry as France has not got any......

https://www.spartacommodities.com/oil-market-commentary/short-and-mid-term-consequences-of-the-french-strike/

As a consequence, 13% of French gas stations have now run out of fuel. The biggest impact can be seen in the Med, Brittany and Normandy, where fuel is becoming scarce. Given these conditions, one would expect French players to be resupplying in ARA very soon.  In the meantime, and oddly enough, a large French refiner continues to be the most aggressive winter grade seller in the ARA window. This must be linked to a disposal of winter grade as the market transitions to summer grade, yet it remains quite  surprising.  Friday was the first day of summer grade on the Argus window, and we could already see that summer grade was already trading in steep backwardation (trading at a whopping April swap +$28/MT for early April loading).   In the meantime, ARA blending margins remain mostly negative. Despite gas-nap rallying back to $160/MT in April, blending margins for summer grade E5 remain at historical lows, .......

i'm not sure my lawn mower likes E10. It was chuntering a bit after a fresh tank. Need to try the bugger on Super.

18 minutes ago, Aspman said:

i'm not sure my lawn mower likes E10. It was chuntering a bit after a fresh tank. Need to try the bugger on Super.

How about some nitrous as it becomes a controlled substance and kids have to move on to something else it might become cheaper as manufacturers try to find new outlets, or a turbo to get better air-fuel mixing ? 

On 16/04/2023 at 19:04, lol-lol said:

How about some nitrous as it becomes a controlled substance and kids have to move on to something else it might become cheaper as manufacturers try to find new outlets, or a turbo to get better air-fuel mixing ? 

Sounds good to me. What could possibly go wrong?

29 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Sounds good to me. What could possibly go wrong?

On two stroke machines I would see melted pistons ................  Perhaps you need some 102 Octane racing fuel.

Damage due to abnormal combustion 3/3 · Technipedia · Motorservice

Edited by lol-lol

On 17/04/2023 at 21:16, lol-lol said:

On two stroke machines I would see melted pistons ................  Perhaps you need some 102 Octane racing fuel.

Damage due to abnormal combustion 3/3 · Technipedia · Motorservice

It's a 4 stroke so should all be fine. Some 102 + nitros might be the way forward. Maybe a wee blower to keep things rolling along

Edited by Aspman

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found this chap who normally posts vids of the history of different Motorways, but occasionally posts about other things. He has just posted this vid about the true Ethanol content if E10 fuels. The results are surprising. 

• Thanks 1

It would of been good if he just said the date he collected the fuels, hardly that hard, he just needed to say.

It is quite important when he did the tests and got the E10 from filling stations because from in the UK from late October to November Winter Formulation was delivered until the end March and even later sometimes. So less Hygroscopic so possibly less Bio Ethanol was in it, and then around the UK it can vary.

But he does say that kind of.  Maybe he actually knows more but just kept it simple for the reason that KISS works for many.

As is the case with E5 in the UK, Summer & Winter formulation and even in summer the Bio content car vary. 

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1