Roof bars - what do you have?

I need to get some roof bars for my Octavia Estate and am set on the Yakima flush bar set (around £210 here in the UK). I have been a loyal Thule user before but their flush bars are £100 more which seems excessive!

Not interested in the Skoda OEM ones. 

I can’t seem to see any pics of Mk4 Octavias with roof racks on - so what do you have and can you supple a decent pic of the roof rack? Not just a pic of the whole car!

I am going to be putting 2x bike holders on only BTW. 

8 minutes ago, zetzet said:

Why aren't you interested in OEM bars?  They are probably made by the same companies you're picking from. It's not like Skoda makes roof bars. 

They are

a) ugly

b) expensive (more than Yakima)

c) not very aerodynamic

d) not available in flush style, only through style. 

I don’t know who they are made by, but it’s not Thule/Yakima/Atera as far as I can see, probably a budget brand by their looks. 

I have come from the Volvo world and all Volvo roof gear is made by Thule, and you can often get Thule stuff branded as Volvo a lot cheaper online. 

FFEA4683-0348-409D-9789-3565834B7F53.png

I had Thule Wingbar Edge on my earlier Audi RS4 Avant and they were a perfect fit onto my Octavia 3 Combi - they went with the car to my ex, and I've bought Thule WIngbar Edge to fit on my current car.

I've always used Thule but when I got the Octavia Estate last year couldn't get stock locally and prices on the Web were high, I'm told down  to supply and demand (staycations). Ended up with a set of budget bars from Amazon as I needed to get some timber home urgently (ordered M Way brand but they sent Summit Brand, the budget ones may all be the same anyway). Seem to be fine very solid and quiet believe it or not but not sure long term if you intend to keep them fitted for long periods. Seems to take my Thule bike rack OK. A chap round the corner from me has the same bars and he uses them for his job. Fitted year round.

I'm not so sure about the flush mounting rails on the Octy 4, prefer the raised rails as on the old Karoq. 

I've got the to Yakima whispbars. Good bars but a pain in the backside to fit, they're a fit and forget bar. Where as the Thule ones are easy to remove.

Feet are cheaper to upgrade than the Thule ones though when you do change the car. Must be honest though I don't find any of the quiet bars quiet.

42 minutes ago, Jmagee said:

I've got the to Yakima whispbars. Good bars but a pain in the backside to fit, they're a fit and forget bar. Where as the Thule ones are easy to remove.

Feet are cheaper to upgrade than the Thule ones though when you do change the car. Must be honest though I don't find any of the quiet bars quiet.

Thanks. 
I suppose the only issue with the bars is that if you change car and the new car needs a different length bar you still have to change all the components but that would probably be the same for other makes too. 

The noise thing does concern me. I would probably leave the bars on but attach the bike mounts when I wanted them on, the Yakima ones have quite a neat attachment system. 

Yes they do. I had the Thule wingbars and found those weren't silent either. I now have pads on the whispbars which helps. It is a nice system. I think Atera make a set where the rubber strip is separate to the T track which like pretty cool. 

22 minutes ago, Jmagee said:

Yes they do. I had the Thule wingbars and found those weren't silent either. I now have pads on the whispbars which helps. It is a nice system. I think Atera make a set where the rubber strip is separate to the T track which like pretty cool. 

Thanks - which one would you choose if you had to buy again? I like the new Thule bars but blimey they are expensive. 

Out of the two I do prefer the Yakima. Especially as a fit a forget person myself. They do look good and changing the feet is cheaper than Thule.

I do quiet like the look of Atero signo bars but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. 

13 hours ago, Jmagee said:

I have the wingbar edges and literally can't tell when they're on the roof. No noise at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 00:49, parsey83 said:

The Skoda bars are Thule items. I have them and they are Thule branded underneath so they’re not some cheap brand

If they are Thule they must be an old design they are fobbing off on Skoda as they look nothing like the current Thule products.

On 03/03/2022 at 14:53, liveseytowers said:

For those with a vRS with the black roof rails, do they scratch when you attach the roof bars?  I'm worried that if i used some they would scratch the roof rails and any scratches would stand out as they are gloss black.

Nope. Taken mine off and back on a few times now and no problems.

10 hours ago, Zedboy said:

Okay so I had a 67 Audi Avant and rather hoping the bespoke roof bars will fit straight onto my Octavia IV ... fingers crossed 

The Thule bars from my Audi B7 RS4 (06 plate) fitted my Octavia 3 Combi with no mods.

The Thule website lists their part numbers by vehicle, if the same part numbers are shown for both your vehicles then they will fit.

• Love it! 1

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The Thule bars from my Audi B7 RS4 (06 plate) fitted my Octavia 3 Combi with no mods.

The Thule website lists their part numbers by vehicle, if the same part numbers are shown for both your vehicles then they will fit.

Thanks Dave - super helpful info 

If I remember my Mk3 had totally different roof rails to my Mk4, I will be very surprised if the rail connecting ends fit. However you might be able to just get replacement ends. 

• Like 1