1.5 DSG MPG horrific

Ggsumo

7 hours ago, Ggsumo said:

nearly 3 years 30000 miles and yep it’s Luton...

13 hours ago, Ggsumo said:

We do about 300 to 350 a week in Summer have never seen the long term out of the 20’s. 

13 hours ago, Ggsumo said:

250 miles for a week in winter is about right on average.

12 hours ago, Ggsumo said:

t’s purely to much time spent in town traffic on short journeys, she’s just a beast to get moving I think. 

16 hours ago, Ggsumo said:

I had a Citroen Spacetourer before this it was a 1.5hdi and used to around 50mpg on the combined and over 40 around town which was pretty much on quoted numbers so forgive me if I expected to be a little closer to what was claimed in this one.

You've rightly acknowledged it's a beast to move  Sorry I didn't get what 1.5tsi Kodiaq model you have but it makes little difference anyway. These are the official figures for a 1.5 DSG SE-L ...

WLTP.JPG.1726d2d1d169486548a0aea4c53d53a5.JPG

MPG is calculated in a controlled environment based on Mr Joe Average and is simply a means of comparing different cars on as much of a like-to-like basis as possible. Thru your own admission, you are not Mr Average. You're doing lots of short journeys in a loaded car. The official figure you should be looking at is around 30mpg, NOT the 39mpg.

I can't find the WLTP figures for that Citroen as they've stopped building it. It's been replaced by an EV and although I have no personal experience of EV whatsoever, I can assure you the published range will not be what you achieve in the real-world, moreover that will drop even further in the winter months. Petrol, Diesel, EV, hybrid PHEV whatever - they're all the same when it comes to published figures and economy.

PS - I see people refering to different gearbox modes and coasting or whatever else. None of this is going to make much of a difference - if it did then we're only talking about £50 a year in fuel savings which is feck all.  It's not complicated to understand, especially in an automatic - the more you press on an accelerator, the more fuel the car uses, end of story. So if you're driving a heavy car like an oldman, then in heavy traffic or even just going uphill, you're foot is going to be pressed down on that accelerator for way longer than if if you were to accelerate off briskly..  A diesel provides it's power lower in the rev range so under the same circumstances, even driving like an oldman, you're up to speed before you know it. Eco, Normal, Sport whatever - there's no way round it, if you're not happy with the MPG then it's the wrong engine for your needs and we're back to working out is spending the extra outay on a the correct engine going to make you financially better off? Only you can answer that.

• Like 1

On £60 a week on fuel saving £2 is £104 a year.  Coasting can actually save fuel in a 1.4 or 1.5 TSI even in urban driving.   Every mickle maks a muckle.   On £60 of petrol that might be the cheapest available locally or maybe not.     As it is it is only money and that price paid for fuel needed weekly is going up next week and in the future weeks.  Just as well to the weather in and around Luton will be getting warmer. 

Slightly off-topic... but either my car has finally finished running in, or the warmer weather this weekend has made a massive difference, but my usual Sunday round-town-taxi-for-the-kids driving resulted in an average just shy of 30mpg, whereas each week until now it's been very low 20s. I don't think I was driving any differently... the traffic certainly wasn't any better/worse than usual... and I haven't pumped up the tyres (which I need to do!)... so I can only put it down to the engine finally being bedded in, or the slightly warmer weather.

But a roughly 40% improvement is bonkers, either way. Not complaining... just don't quite understand.

I have a 2021 kodiaq SE-L with the 1.5 dsg.. I agree that it's awful on fuel.. i filled it yesterday and it did 30 mpg over the last tank. I have logged every fill from new which is just over 8k since July... And it generally does 30 ish...

I changed from a 2018 2.0tsi superb which was tweaked to put out 290bhp and with a heavy right foot averaged 32mpg over my 3 years of ownership.. the Kodiaq is doing the same general journeys as the superb but is just worse... 

Ok by way of an update, car took 2 goes to get through mot today on emissions. So I had diagnostic done at garage:

u112300 can comps, intermittent

P0475 exhaust pressure control valve a - intermittent

P0568 cruise set signal malfunction - intermittent

P0303 Cyl 3 misfire - intermittent

P0363 Misfire detected furling disabled - intermittent

still under warranty so can go to Skoda, only 30k mileage but due an oil service in 1000 miles. Wondered if the plugs are knackered from all the short journeys. Assume I can change these myself as spark plugs won’t be warrantied, anybody know what the interval is supposed to be.

any other suggestions greatly appreciated but could account for poor economy 

Quick data point to share from my 1.5 tsi dsg sportline with 1500 miles on it so far.

It averaged exactly 40mpg from several hundred miles driven today, 95% of it motorway or dual carriage way at the speed limit. Very few hills. Average speed 49mph (hardly any delays, a great run). Just me in it - no load. Normal mode, on cruise control for what felt like 80% of the journey.

I guess that’s as good as it’s gonna get for long journeys unless the engine ‘loosens up’ a bit. I’m ok with that figure, it doesn’t seem too bad to me. 

Edited by Doombar

Indeed it probably will be as good as it gets.

My Bear showed 39.5 MPG today on a short 76 mile round trip into Glasgow and back.  Motorway.  City.  Was chauffeur drive style within speed limits, but not overly pussy footing.  On a long run in warmer weather I've seen 45 MPG.

But at the end of the day I repeatedly see 36 mpg overall brim to brim.  And I've been measuring brim to brim for years in different cars. Previous Bear was 38 mpg over 3 years and 30K miles.

This thread is putting me off moving to a wee 1.5 petrol in future.

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

Indeed it probably will be as good as it gets.

My Bear showed 39.5 MPG today on a short 76 mile round trip into Glasgow and back.  Motorway.  City.  Was chauffeur drive style within speed limits, but not overly pussy footing.  On a long run in warmer weather I've seen 45 MPG.

But at the end of the day I repeatedly see 36 mpg overall brim to brim.  And I've been measuring brim to brim for years in different cars. Previous Bear was 38 mpg over 3 years and 30K miles.

This thread is putting me off moving to a wee 1.5 petrol in future.

economy aside / I like the eagerness of the 1.5. It’s hard not to want to put your foot down! I ran it in eco mode for a while, I quite liked it staying in a gear a little longer between changes (seemed to be what it was doing anyway!).

It has a horrible lag when you try to pull away in a hurry sometimes that I don’t understand as it doesn’t seem to be consistent. But I don’t need to do that often so it’s not a big bugbear.

So far the 1.5 is working out ok for me. Let’s see how it changes after a few thousand miles.

If you need to,pull away quick on a DSG then slide it into manual briefly until you are out of the junction or moving, or stick her in sport

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2022 at 02:47, kodiaqsportline said:

Out of curiosity, how long have you owned the car and these short trips - how long are they? What's the terrain like? is it flat or hilly?

42 minutes ago, xspartx said:

I have the 1.5.  Can't say it's particularly bad mpg wise, but then I've hardly been checking.  Maybe 32mpg or so mixed?

Have identified mine definitely has a problem which is likely why mine is so low, mot emissions failure first time, misfire on cylinder 3, hi ho hi ho it’s off to Skoda we go 🤪🤪🤪

1 hour ago, Ggsumo said:

Have identified mine definitely has a problem which is likely why mine is so low, mot emissions failure first time, misfire on cylinder 3, hi ho hi ho it’s off to Skoda we go 🤪🤪🤪

35 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Ggsumohave you or anyone looked at the Air Filter to see the condition of that and if there is anything in the airbox that should not be there?

A fresh clean air filter can do wonders if a clogged dirty one is currently installed.

Cylinder misfire doesn't sound good. If you hadn't mentioned that given it's failed emissions test, I'd put money on it being an air flow sensor issue. If the readings are wrong then it could be running a rich air/fuel mixture hence the emission failure.

I've just been out on a steady run today for around 40miles. It's wet, no wind, the temp around 6C, just me and about 40kg in the boot, and from a cold start, the car returned 41mpg. If this were summer I'd expect to see high 40's from my 1.5 DSG with 20" rims.  I personally don't think that's great, it's certainly less than if I were driving our 1.5DSG Karoq and about 10mpg down on my previous 1.4tsi manual Octavia, but it's in line with WLTP expectations for my car. 'Horrific' is simply not a word I could ever use to describe it.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2022 at 20:21, J.R. said:

Pointless me looking at the fuel consumption display then, I put different tyres on each day and frequently shave some tread off or let air out before leaving!

What?

• 2 months later...
On 24/02/2022 at 23:34, skomaz said:

This may sound daft but that may be part of your problem...   I've noticed that using low revs and changing up early gives worse consumption on ours than allowing the engine to rev and give of its best...   Not to the red line but it certainly doesn't like lugging

Not at all daft. I have found driving lightly loading the engine at higher revs gives a better mpg. For example a flat stretch of road with a 30mph speed limit shows better mpg keeping in 3rd gear than changing into 4th.

Edited by edbostan

• 2 weeks later...

70km is approx 45 miles.

It's not for me to determine what is best for others, but if I had access to another car for towing and longer journey's I'd happily run an all-electric vehicle for a 45 miles per day.

Had my 2019 1.5 DSG SEL 7 seat from new. Now covered nearly 30k miles.

My experiences of the 1.5 DSG are similar. 25 mpg round town unless I put it in eco and then put the DSG into sport (to disable coasting) then switch to manual so I can shift into 6th at 30 & 7th at 40. I can get up into the mid 30s quite quickly then

pump tyres to around 40 psi especially if going on a long motorway run. Low to Mid 40s achievable doing 70mph and high 40s if you go slower

Party piece of this engine; cylinder deactivation is completely nullified because the heavy kodiaq almost always requires too much load on the engine to enter that mode. The same engine in a golf is apparently capable of 60mpg

i have tried other approaches such as those suggested; to keep in lower gears so cylinder deactivation comes into play but I have had better results selecting highest possible gear without labouring the engine. My car has paddles on the steering wheel, am glad I opted for them as I use them a lot!

Edited by PoloGaz

ACT / Cylinder deactivation COD if it is an AUDI is fine in a Kodiaq because to work you have to be off the accelerator so rolling along, going down hill etc.  So the weight of a Kodiaq helps with that.  Just like Coasting it takes a driver using the system effectively.  Roads do go down and not just up. 

I disagree re the ACT...   Our kicks in pretty regularly. 

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I disagree re the ACT...   Our kicks in pretty regularly. 

As does mine, surprisingly how quickly it cuts in after cold start. Very rarely see below 30mpg around town and 41mpg best achieved on a run. Only done around 1.5k miles expecting consumption to improve.

• Like 1