Anyone dead set on Sportline estate, but then changed to an L&K and glad you did ?

Morning .  I know the differences between the two and that subjective, and been done to death a bit ( apologies ).

I'm on the verge of plumping for a new Superb 280 estate.  been talking myself in and out of it for ages.  lead times now getting a bit better, getting a good deal, and will get a good trade in on current VRS.

Planning on black, DCC, towbar prep, possibly winter pack and possibly sunroof.  I know that won't be as agile as a VRS, but would definitely look like a big VRS .

However, taking into account that an L&K already has a good bit of extra kit ( of which DCC is my must have ), a comparable L&K is coming in about £20 a month cheaper!  arrggghh! 

I keep thinking I'm young ( 49 and 11 mths! ) , and that the L&K looks ( and might feel ? ) a bit more like an old man's car.   Possibly in black and maybe with 19inch wheels would look more "sporty" ( I know that's not the point of an L&K ) .  Or maybe on certain 18 inch wheels still good . 

Question is,  whether 280 or not, has anyone been in the same position, looking at Sportline, then decided to go for an L&K, and glad they did ? 

I'm a terrible one for "what if" !! 

thanks 

• Like 1

I have a fascination and desire for leather so that wipes out the Sportline for me, why they can’t have leather seats I’m not sure. 

If I had to make a choice it would be L&K though purely because it’s top of the line and don’t need to spend extras on the nice things.

There’s a new superb out next year or year after if you can wait, adds another “what if I waited longer” though 😬

• Like 1

If you currently have an Octavia VRS and were planning to get a Superb Sportline, I would recommend making absolutely sure you are happy with the amount of side bolstering you'd get from the seat back of the L&K versus the Sportline.  I find myself too narrow to get much lateral restraint from the leather seat backs and wish I'd got a Sportline because the seats hug you better in those.

• Like 1

Agree with @DB72 regarding the lack of bolster support. They also seem higher in the L&K, even at the lowest setting.

In saying that, I was in the same position only with an iV.

I choose the L&K - I only regret it when I see a dragon green sportline. Incidentally the L&K also gets the Sportline front bumper

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billblacoe said:

Morning .  I know the differences between the two and that subjective, and been done to death a bit ( apologies ).

I'm on the verge of plumping for a new Superb 280 estate.  been talking myself in and out of it for ages.  lead times now getting a bit better, getting a good deal, and will get a good trade in on current VRS.

Planning on black, DCC, towbar prep, possibly winter pack and possibly sunroof.  I know that won't be as agile as a VRS, but would definitely look like a big VRS .

However, taking into account that an L&K already has a good bit of extra kit ( of which DCC is my must have ), a comparable L&K is coming in about £20 a month cheaper!  arrggghh! 

I keep thinking I'm young ( 49 and 11 mths! ) , and that the L&K looks ( and might feel ? ) a bit more like an old man's car.   Possibly in black and maybe with 19inch wheels would look more "sporty" ( I know that's not the point of an L&K ) .  Or maybe on certain 18 inch wheels still good . 

Question is,  whether 280 or not, has anyone been in the same position, looking at Sportline, then decided to go for an L&K, and glad they did ? 

I'm a terrible one for "what if" !! 

thanks 

the question your asking is difficult for any one who went for an l&k over a sportline to answer, because they dont have a sportline to compare it too  😀

reading your post , it looks like it's the sporty look you want,  if your spending the kind of money needed to get into a superb, what's an extra  £20

if your hearts set on a sportline, best to get a sportline,   or that's exactly what you'll be saying to yourself afterwards  'what if'

• Like 2

thanks so far, yes I think  I'll go and try and sit in an L&K to check the seats .   extra toys on an L&K , not sure if I would actually miss them -  park assist, lane assist , rear camera being the main additional ones .  pretty rubbish that someone that is now pretty standard like lane assist, isn't standard on the Sportline .  got it on the VRS but to be honest rarely use it,

FWIW I have the basic lane assist, not the dynamic one. It's not too intrusive but I a bit pointless, the upgraded version with traffic jam assist might be better.

It sounds like you're heading towards a sportline with a few boxes ticked, which is a good shout

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patent said:

FWIW I have the basic lane assist, not the dynamic one. It's not too intrusive but I a bit pointless, the upgraded version with traffic jam assist might be better.

It sounds like you're heading towards a sportline with a few boxes ticked, which is a good shout

You can be upgraded to dynamic lane assist depending on what model you have. Also can have traffic jam assist too.

11 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

You can be upgraded to dynamic lane assist depending on what model you have. Also can have traffic jam assist too.

What's the difference between basic and dynamic lane assist?  Can these be enabled with OBD?

28 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

I had considered this but i got to thinking about the whole purpose of the dynamic system and whether I want the car to intervene any more than it currently does. 

I think I'd just be paying to make the car more irritating to drive, so I'm happy to stick with ACC and doing the steering myself :)

• Like 1

YEAH, to be honest I'm happy having the car interfering less. One of the reasons that not going for VRS mk 4 is obviously the infotainment, but also comments about it auto braking on the motorway when nothings there....plus of course the "need" for 4wd and 280bhp for the 1 mile school run and then 3 mile drive to work 

You get quite a few more toys on the L&K - the Sportline is a lower spec, and more expensive if you include all of the options that the L&K has as standard.

The seats in the L&K are fine, but don't hug you unless you're very wide - the Sportline seats would be more supportive.

The L&K is more subtle, if that's important to you.

I went with the L&K (second hand) and don't regret it one bit.

Just a thought, if you’re going to be buying this new, then go into your local dealer and ask for a long test drive in each for a couple of hours.

You’ll then be able to get use to it, then after your first test either remember your thoughts or write them down.

Most test drives is around a 10 minute loop which is ridiculous, but I can’t see them saying no especially if they know you’ll be getting a new car as that’ll be their bonus

• Like 1

I love the "elegant business class" look of the L&K model.

The extra bells n whistles u get r a nice touch.

Apart from the sport seats, flat-bottom steering wheel, black trim & wheel design on the Sportline trim, the L&K gets the same things, plus more, as standard.

We don't get the L&K model here in Oz, but the cars come specced like an L&K with the Tech & Comfort packs.

This is my slightly less elegant look.....

1002367537_PXL_20210927_0608357683.thumb.jpg.605a27437288164771fb1b66440e8f6a.jpg

846268288_PXL_20211221_2313029172.thumb.jpg.c9d9ec4f21268be5f63075c98cb0e9c8.jpg

• Like 1

I went for the L&K but it is not a straightforward decision. A Sportline also makes a strong case for itself and is probably better in some aspects, so I think it comes down to weighing up the pros and cons according to your own personal taste. I like the more understated look and extra chrome touches of the L&K, as well as the bare metal look of the alloys (18s for me for a more comfortable ride), rather than the half-painted 19s on a lot of the Sportlines that I see.

But although the L&K seats are fine I would love some more side support and I actually prefer the look of the quilted seats and flat-bottomed steering wheel of the Sportline, which I would say has the nicer interior.

Personally I would not be influenced too much by the extra toys in an L&K. Park assist is a great party trick but I find it fiddly to use and on my relatively narrow street it actually refuses to engage because it thinks the kerb on the other side of the road is too close and will impede the driver's side front wheel as you reverse into the space (but I can do it manually no problem). And lane assist can be a pain - try to swerve to avoid a pot hole and it will fight to steer you straight back into it! I don't have a reversing camera in mine (I guess they weren't standard fit in 2017) but the parking sensors are great so I don't feel I am missing out particularly.

Do they still offer a Sportline Plus? I thought that was essentially a Sportline with more kit, so could be the way to go for you...?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, billblacoe said:

thanks ChrisCh .  What colour, leather, wheels did you go for ? Park assist actually useful? 

It was second hand, so it was all selected for me. Business grey, black leather, 18 inch wheels.

Park assist is a necessity I would say (I would also upgrade to the reversing camera too). The car is very long a I use park assist (the all-around sensors at least) on a daily basis.

More details of my particular car on my project log (link under my avatar).

The L&K would be ideal if only Skoda had not really cut down on engine - drivetrain options so much. You can spec a L&K from a sportline and even from a SEL to a certain degree but then you are approaching V90 price ranges..... and the 2 are not necessarily on a par level.

I didn’t buy a Superb  for belting around twisting roads. It’s a comfortable quieter car than the VRS. Yes the L & K seats are wider and don’t squeeze you in like a an Octy VRS.  It does however, fir it’s size, take bends surprisingly well in DCC sport mode. I wouldn’t like to do the same bends without DCC, even with Sportline seat bolsters it will be more of a handful. 

• Like 4