Looking at buying 2015 Superb 2.0 TDI - high mileage an issue? Upgrade HU to Android auto?

I believe it's the Mk3 as it has the black/silver badge and newer look.

Mileage is 138,000 and I am told it has full Skoda Main Dealer service history so inclined to think cambelt etc has been done to service schedule.

It has the Columbus head unit of the time. Wondering if there might be a way to swap head unit for a later one that is Android Auto capable. I guess if I did that I would lose the TV tuner (L&K spec).

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by anewman

I've got a 2011 VW CC 2.0 TDI 170BHP DSG with 243,000 miles on it an still going strong.  Regular servicing including engine oil changes (8 - 10k miles) and DSG oil changes (40k miles). 

My 2017 Superb Sportline 2.0TDI 190 BHP DSG has 210,000 miles on it an it doesn't miss a beat either with routine servicing.

• Like 1

Are you sure it has a TV tuner as that wasnt normally specced in the UK models.

Regarding swapping, its far from a simple job and isnt just a plug and play, these cars have a lot of hidden coding and features. The radio can be upgraded to a newer mib2 or mib2.5 unit but it isnt a cheap or easy process. 

The screen may be compatible (due to being Columbus). If it is then you need to replace the head unit in the glovebox. Looking at £300-400 minimum. Then remove component protection at roughly £150 at a dealer that wants to play ball. Then get it coded to the car at roughly £200 by @pab567.  Costs may have changed so these are guide lines. Looking at £600-1000 total for a low end unit. £1-1.5k for a replacement Columbus. More if a new screen is needed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

The screen may be compatible (due to being Columbus). If it is then you need to replace the head unit in the glovebox. Looking at £300-400 minimum. Then remove component protection at roughly £150 at a dealer that wants to play ball. Then get it coded to the car at roughly £200 by @pab567.  Costs may have changed so these are guide lines. Looking at £600-1000 total for a low end unit. £1-1.5k for a replacement Columbus. More if a new screen is needed.

Plus i believe on the very early mk3's they used a lower spec gateway and bcm, so not saying you would run into issues but there may be issues down the line with error codes or faults without these being upgraded.

Im still very interested to see this TV tuner in a uk spec car

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Im still very interested to see this TV tuner in a uk spec car

I believe it's only in L&K spec.

26 minutes ago, anewman said:

Wonder what would be lost upgrading to aftermarket HU (with Android auto)?

OEM integration with settings. There may be some settings you can get to with an aftermarket system but without looking at specific models it's hard to say for certain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anewman said:

I believe it's only in L&K spec.

L&K doesn’t have a tv tuner as standard sorry, it was a very rare extra that I don’t think was optioned in the U.K., have you got any pictures or specs to show it?

and regarding aftermarket - you can’t fit aftermarket, the infotainment system is integral to the operation of the car and it needs to be there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

L&K doesn’t have a tv tuner as standard sorry, it was a very rare extra that I don’t think was optioned in the U.K., have you got any pictures or specs to show it?

Recently came across this post which suggests it only appeared in UK models ordered before April 2016. Also seen a couple of photos on AutoTrader clearly showing a TV image.

Edited by anewman

My December 2016 150 HP DSG Executive Combi has the TV tuner installed.

Bought it second hand, so I don't know whether it was paid for as an extra or rolled in with normal Columbus system at that time.

Can't say that I've ever found much use for it myself.

11 hours ago, ApertureS said:

and regarding aftermarket - you can’t fit aftermarket, the infotainment system is integral to the operation of the car and it needs to be there.

https://www.joyingauto.eu/skoda-superb-2015-android-car-stereo-replacement-android-9-inch-4g-head-unit.html

37 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

You can get generic units like this, but like the advert says you only get the following functions retained

"It Comes With Canbus Adapter and Pre-installed CarInfo app which instead of OBD2, Support Steering Wheel Control,Air conditional display,Radar/Parking Sensor and Door Information display."

Youre gonna loose all your vehicle settings menu, service indicator, driver assistance menu, if you have canton or virtual cockpit will make both of them not function.

Basically youre loosing a lot more than youll gain

• Like 2

There may be a few things that you can't view. However, service intervals can still be got at via vcds it similar. Virtual cockpit was not available at that age of car as far as I know. Canton may be an issue. Particularly in an L&K as many of those had them as standard. Sounds like a high spec car so quite likely.

TPMS is an important one as you need to be able to set that as a user. Some of the android units had those settings available when I was looking for the Octavia.

Incidentally there is a good thread in the Octavia section on this sort of unit.

9 hours ago, cardo said:

My December 2016 150 HP DSG Executive Combi has the TV tuner installed.

Bought it second hand, so I don't know whether it was paid for as an extra or rolled in with normal Columbus system at that time.

Can't say that I've ever found much use for it myself.

Mine was registered in October 2016 and I bought it when it was eight months old, but it doesn't have a TV tuner installed.

My 2012 Superb MkII had a TV tuner.  As SWMBO doesn't drive, I'm often taking her shopping, to the doctors' surgery, etc and waiting in the car, so I miss being able to watch it whilst I'm waiting, so I take something to read instead.

My UK spec March 2016 L&K has a tv tuner as standard though it was dropped to being an option not long after.

It also has Android Auto as standard too though I think it's wired only. I tried it once then never used it again.

Maybe you won't need to change anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Good day. 🙂
I need your advice.
My car Skoda Superb 2014
I have long been thinking to replace the original car stereo, and install Android.
I do not like the original system, on youtube I found information, also a product that fits.
Found this option, the product seems good to me, wanted to check with you who have already installed similar.
Do you have similar experience?
Thank you.
P. S. I am no some spamer just need some help with it because without experience, thank you for understending)) 

On 11/03/2022 at 17:39, MunsterScot said:

I've got a 2011 VW CC 2.0 TDI 170BHP DSG with 243,000 miles on it an still going strong.  Regular servicing including engine oil changes (8 - 10k miles) and DSG oil changes (40k miles). 

My 2017 Superb Sportline 2.0TDI 190 BHP DSG has 210,000 miles on it an it doesn't miss a beat either with routine servicing.

Wow. My 2017 2.0 TDI 240bhp Passat is on 144,000 miles and no issues yet, maybe a weakening battery, Have you replaced anything over them miles?

10 hours ago, Micky 32 said:

Wow. My 2017 2.0 TDI 240bhp Passat is on 144,000 miles and no issues yet, maybe a weakening battery, Have you replaced anything over them miles?

On the VW CC I've had to do the following over the 6 years I've had it:

• Front and rear discs and pads
  • Front wheel bearings
  • New battery
  • Alternator rebuild
  • Dual Mass Fly wheel replaced
  • 1 rear shock - car has DCC and replaced it with a 2nd hand unit from a breaker
  • Front drop links
  • Front bushings
  • A power unit failed and had to be replaced (2nd hand unit) and coded.  It failing caused strange things to happen like: The front fog lights wouldn't work, the main beam headlights would not come on, flashing the headlights didn't work either till you tried 3 times with the stalk then they worked.  There was a couple of other strange electrical things as well that I can't remember.
  • Amplifier for the Kanton sound system had to be repaired as it was causing a drain on the battery even when switched off.  Sent it to a place in Germany for repair

So other than the power unit & amplifier nothing you wouldn't expect to have to change over time as they are wear and tear components.  I should add, that the above was even with the engine and DSG being remapped 6 years ago.  So the remaps haven't caused any issues. 

On the Superb Sportline I've done the following in the year I've had it.  Some as preventative based on above so I knew they'd be needed relatively soon anyway:

• Front and rear discs and pads
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Dual Mass Fly wheel replaced
  • Front bushings
  • Rear shocks
  • Front springs - Driver side snapped when sitting in car

Thinking on changing all shocks for Koni Special Actives as I've read good things about them making improvement to the handling.

• 1 month later...
On 11/03/2022 at 21:12, ApertureS said:

My Oct 2015 L&K has a TV tuner. Pretty surprised when I found that.

5 hours ago, petrolcan said:

My Oct 2015 L&K has a TV tuner. Pretty surprised when I found that.

Turns out I was wrong on this, basically for the first 12 months they were on L&K then after that they didn’t bother really in the uk