1.6 or 2.0

Hi I'm in the market for new car and i like the look of the superb estate but can't decide which one to go for. It will probably be 2015 or there abouts. I don't tow a trailer and probably drive roughly 12000 miles per year. What engine size do you think would suit me. Thanks

Hi there, I currently have a 2.0tdi 140 hp superb and I feel it is adequate, it pulls pretty well even from low down which is handy, definitely would not want less power. Alternatively I guess you could get the 1.6 and remap it. 

Thanks for the reply. I believe the 1.6 is 120 bhp, I currently have a 1.9 octavia and it's 105 but so it will be a bit livelier

The 1.6 is 105 also. The PD and CR engines are different to drive. You may no like the 1.6. Drive one before you commit. 

I've got the 2.0 140 (CFFB engine) in a 4x4 Superb and it is plenty adequate for every day use.  I occasionally tow a heavy trailer and have no issues.

Plenty of low down power and quick off the mark.  When I first got it I thought about getting a remap to 170, but figured it was fine for my needs.

MPG is approx 42 - 45 consistently, probably be a bit better for non-4x4.

2.0 170 4x4 and chip / remap it ;) either for power or economy ;) chipping gives you the option to switch between maps - remapping is one or the other. Remember to inform your insurance company. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2022 at 21:52, nuala said:

Thanks for the reply. I believe the 1.6 is 120 bhp, I currently have a 1.9 octavia and it's 105 but so it will be a bit livelier

Superb 2 is heavier than the Octavia 2, so will be slower with the same engine. If you're looking at 2015, you are getting into early Superb 3 territory as an option too which has slightly different engine options. As suggested further up, test drive a few and see what you like/don't like. Ignore any advice to buy a plug-in tuning box, they're a bad job. If you really want more power, start by buying the engine that matches your performance expectations.

In NI, you still have the option to buy in GB without getting fleeced for customs (Brexit has destroyed the import market into RoI from GB as we now have to pay VAT & customs on imports), so don't be afraid to cast your net wider there.

• Like 1

I’ll write from a bit different angle. I’m daily driving with Superb II Greenline with 105hp 1.6TDI engine and with 5 speed manual transmission.

In my opinion this is the best car ever:

- reasonably slow, gives you a smooth ride

- fuel efficency is very good with that size of the car

- NO dual-mass flywheel

- very low maintanance cost

- unique passenger side dimming mirror

- lots of space front, back and in trunk

- accesories retrofitable from Passat B7 (HBA etc)

There is no similar car with that fuel consumtion, space, simplicity and features like Superb II Greenline.

• Like 3

Really struggling to find a superb estate that hasn't been to the moon and back.

And prices are totally mental, I've saw some cars with almost 200000 miles on them and they still want 6 or 7 k

I've found a 2015 2.0 superb elegance estate with 137000 warranted miles, is there anything I should be checking for in particular.🤔

On 16/05/2022 at 21:13, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

other insurance companies are also available lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/05/2022 at 18:47, chimaera said:

[...] Ignore any advice to buy a plug-in tuning box, they're a bad job. If you really want more power, start by buying the engine that matches your performance expectations. [...]

Only last sentence makes sense ;)

Can you finally move out from 90s and arrive in 21st century ? ;) It's no longer a resistor or whatever was used to fool the ECU. Now it's a mini computer with a professionally made map on a rolling road - with a lot more options than remap - you can select from a few different curves - either more power or better economy - AT ANY POINT.

99.99% of daily drivers WON'T need professional remap - and by professional I agree with you - rolling road and fine-tuning - but this makes sense ONLY for people who regularly race on tracks.

I've done 62k+ - NEVER EVER I've had any kind of problems related to my tunning box - in fact no problems at all, just regular servicing - and I really have a lead foot ;) DSG gearbox is silky smooth, no problems with Haldex, on original 8 years old battery and starts instantly :)

Good quality tunning box is the same as generic remap - but is A LOT safer for the engine. With bad remap, when person doing it doesn't know what he is doing, he can damage the engine by entering wrong data - by accident or on purpose, when disabling safety features. But with tunning box - all safety features are still in place so even if someone makes mistake or data get corrupted - ECU will protect the engine. And if it stops working - you can just unplug it and drive away - good luck with corrupted remap.

And what is the REAL difference in how it works ?

signal from sensor -> ECU reads data from new map and reacts

signal from sensor -> box translates values (based on maps made on a rolling road)  -> ECU reads shifted data from original maps and reacts

The only difference is in at what point data from the map is used.

Like I've said - 99.99% of the daily drivers won't even feel the difference in performance - but it would cost them a lot more money.

And with 14 or 30 days money back guarantee - they can just test and return the box.

It is also more convenient in case of write-off or changing the car - box can be removed and used in another car - can even be reprogrammed for a different engine.

9 hours ago, jafo said:

Only last sentence makes sense ;)

Can you finally move out from 90s and arrive in 21st century ? ;) It's no longer a resistor or whatever was used to fool the ECU. Now it's a mini computer with a professionally made map on a rolling road - with a lot more options than remap - you can select from a few different curves - either more power or better economy - AT ANY POINT.

99.99% of daily drivers WON'T need professional remap - and by professional I agree with you - rolling road and fine-tuning - but this makes sense ONLY for people who regularly race on tracks.

I've done 62k+ - NEVER EVER I've had any kind of problems related to my tunning box - in fact no problems at all, just regular servicing - and I really have a lead foot ;) DSG gearbox is silky smooth, no problems with Haldex, on original 8 years old battery and starts instantly :)

Good quality tunning box is the same as generic remap - but is A LOT safer for the engine. With bad remap, when person doing it doesn't know what he is doing, he can damage the engine by entering wrong data - by accident or on purpose, when disabling safety features. But with tunning box - all safety features are still in place so even if someone makes mistake or data get corrupted - ECU will protect the engine. And if it stops working - you can just unplug it and drive away - good luck with corrupted remap.

And what is the REAL difference in how it works ?

signal from sensor -> ECU reads data from new map and reacts

signal from sensor -> box translates values (based on maps made on a rolling road)  -> ECU reads shifted data from original maps and reacts

The only difference is in at what point data from the map is used.

Like I've said - 99.99% of the daily drivers won't even feel the difference in performance - but it would cost them a lot more money.

And with 14 or 30 days money back guarantee - they can just test and return the box.

It is also more convenient in case of write-off or changing the car - box can be removed and used in another car - can even be reprogrammed for a different engine.

We've been through this, you're still wrong. I've linked a bunch of my previous responses here rather than typing it all out again for the hard of thinking.

Bottom line, they pass bad data to the ECU which will cause it to run the engine outside of control parameters in a way that cannot be detected/accommodated/corrected by the ECU map. They are not as good as a remap from a competent tuner, which operates on real data and will run within the control parameters on the map put there by the tuner. This latter point is why you should seek out a competent tuner also - a bad remap is as bad as a tuning box.

My brother in law had a 1.6TDI in a Passat estate. Considering that he did a lot of motorway driving the car was fast enough, not a race car and compared to my 2L TDI DSG extremely economical.

22 hours ago, chimaera said:

I have explained the difference several times by now.

So it's all theory for you? 

Because if proper remap was so superior - it should let car fly and have 100mpg - compared to mine? 

2 hours ago, jafo said:

So it's all theory for you? 

Because if proper remap was so superior - it should let car fly and have 100mpg - compared to mine? 

No it's engineering.

Power and economy are not the only things that matter when you tune an engine. For the same result on those, a remap will be better and safer than a tuning box for the reasons I've outlined. And yes, a remap will give more than a tuning box because the tuner can fully explore the performance envelope inside the ECU while a tuning box can only crudely adjust fuel pressure and boost.

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2022 at 20:35, nuala said:

Really struggling to find a superb estate that hasn't been to the moon and back.

And prices are totally mental, I've saw some cars with almost 200000 miles on them and they still want 6 or 7 k

I have my trusty 1.6tdi estate and we are on 370 000 miles now. It still drives really well and doesn't miss a beat really (finding some wood to touch...)

It just depends on what you want, but dont be put off by 200k, probably find it was a taxi, in which case would have been well maintained to go through their extra taxi checks.