DSG or not to DSG?

I currently have 2016 Octavia vrs manual. My wife has just bought a Polo GTI which is DSG. And I actually quite like it. As such I am contemplating swapping mine for DSG. Does anyone have any opinions as it would be great to hear from those that have DSG or driven both in Octavias

Mrs Gaz has a 2015 Polo GTI DSG - her first DSG and she'll never go back to a manual.

While I've got a Golf GTI now, my previous car was a 2015 Octavia vRS DSG.  All three DSG's we've had have, like ords', been faultless.  I really can't see a reason to change.  Manual's are so last season 😇

Gaz

• Like 3

I can only third the above. Wanted a manual but could not find one [VRS] with the spec I wanted, I did find a DSG so bought it, 4 years ago.

Not looked back, it's been faultless. Wife was unsure at first but now she would love one. It's just finding something sensibly priced in these times.

I wouldn't go back to manual now, a convert for sure.

• Like 4

I have driven automatics before as part of my work, I have the dry DSG Monte Carlo 1.5 and I am smugly pleased with it.

Smooth and almost as quick as a manual box.

• Like 4

I've driven manuals for around 30 years now, converted to autos around 5 years ago and never looked back, autos all the way for me including the dsg box. 

• Like 3

@scottukvrs Welcome.

I am a DSG fan as i can only drive 2 pedal cars.

It does not matter to me if a 7 speed twin dry clutch or a 6 or 7 speed wet dry clutch. 

?

What age of Polo GTI has your with, is it a newer 2.0 TSI so with a wet clutch DSG, and what are you looking as getting in the way of engine with the Octavia?

OT

@MarkyG82

Screenshot 2022-09-17 17.50.53 (1).jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@scottukvrs Welcome.

I am a DSG fan as i can only drive 2 pedal cars.

It does not matter to me if a 7 speed twin dry clutch or a 6 or 7 speed wet dry clutch. 

?

What age of Polo GTI has your with, is it a newer 2.0 TSI so with a wet clutch DSG, and what are you looking as getting in the way of engine with the Octavia?

All seems to be very glowing for the DSG. 
My wife has a 69 plate so it’s a TSI GTi the car isn’t really for me it’s fast alright but a bit small.

As for engine I currently have a diesel VRS which is fine just jealous of the DSG a little

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scottukvrs said:

My wife has a 69 plate so it’s a TSI GTi the car isn’t really for me it’s fast alright but a bit small.

Same for me.  Mrs Gaz has a '65 plate, so the 1.8 with the DQ200 dry seven speed DSG.  While I can drive it, it's just a bit too cramped for me (6'4") in the driving seat to be a daily driver. The vRS on the other hand was just right.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your helpful comments. It really does seem that the DSG gets a big thumbs up. Right now I need to convince my wife that I need to swap to one. Obviously it will be for her benefit so she doesn’t need to keep swapping form DSG to manual all the time.

Wish me luck (I’m gonna need it)

• Like 2
  • Cheeky 1

My first Octavia was a 1.4TSI manual as my ex had a 'thing' against autos, but my current Octavia is a 1.8TSI DSG and I love it (in between I had an auto Toyota Aygo which she refused to drive).

Not only is the DSG nicer to drive but my 1.8TSI DSG gives better mpg figures than the 1.4TSI manual despite me driving it enthusiastically(!).

• Like 2

I have a 16 plate 1.4 Tsi with the manual 6 speed box and can quite understand why people go for the DSG, It gets hard work changing gear at times and really the only reason I am persevering is that otherwise it's a cracking motor with under 30k on the clock.  

My VRS is my first DSG, despite having a few VAG's before. 

Although dynamically good, the Octavia is still more of a fast cruiser than a track toy so the manual doesn't suit as much I don't think (not to knock those with a manual) The practicalities of having DSG are also useful, creep function in traffic, manual via paddles or sequential and a massive thing for me, not having a clutch pedal.

That last point might seem obvious but with long legs I have always struggled with seat positions in VAG cars because the clutch pedal seems to have a longer throw. The DSG allows me to put the seat back further and be more comfortable.

On top of this, I've never found 'hot' VAG cars to have a particularly good manual, often not weighted, throw a bit long and a bit clunky. My last car was a mk6 GTi manual. It was mapped stage 1 before I bought it. It lunched its original clutch 15k after the map (slave cylinder failed) and then 2nd clutch started slipping on full power after a fee thousand miles. DSG you don't have as much as an issue if you get a DSG map too.

The real question for me would be if I change my car am I going to find something as good and well looked after or better without spending mega money in todays climate?

11 hours ago, Dooge said:

The practicalities of having DSG are also useful, creep function in traffic, manual via paddles or sequential and a massive thing for me, not having a clutch pedal.

I have DSG on my L&K but no paddles, I'd love to retrofit them (I have an MFSW) as I miss having them (my previous Toyota Aygo MMT had paddles!).

Are there any guides on retrofitting paddles?

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I have DSG on my L&K but no paddles, I'd love to retrofit them (I have an MFSW) as I miss having them (my previous Toyota Aygo MMT had paddles!).

I have no idea Dave! I would imagine you would need a VRS steering wheel, some coding and a module or two but that's purely a guess. I would imagine someone has retrofitted it on this forum, especially as I'd imagine the DSG box will basically be the same between a VRS and non VRS.

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

• Like 1