Progressive / Dynamic steering

Legion

I think it's PR-1N7 for dynamic steering you're interested in. Take a look at some part catalogues and see what racks they offer for each pr code 👍

@numskull for the Skoda's, I think it's a variable ratio rack. It gives a more direct/sporty feel without making it twitchy or heavy in the center.

Thank you. I'll check that PR code out.

Servotronic is speed-related variable steering assist

Progressive (VW) and Dynamic (Audi) is a variable ratio rack with variable steering assist.

The Progressive rack is 2.1 turns lock to lock whereas the Servotronic is 2.8 turns lock to lock. The Progressive is fitted to the Golf R & GTI, Passat R line (?) and RS3 and others.

33 minutes ago, Legion said:

The Progressive is fitted to the Golf R & GTI, Passat R line (?) and RS3 and others.

It's also fitted on the Kodiaq RS too.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-kodiaq-rs-press-kit/technology-well-equipped-for-any-challenge-with-all-wheel-drive-and-a-7-speed-dsg/

Edited by JR RS

Hmm

I can see in the Ross-tech wiki for the audi they discuss the control module needs to have the parameters set by SVM which is a dealer job and not VCDS.

Assuming I could source a progressive rack of the correct length. Could I source a golf r control module which is already programmed, a loom (?) and then code the progressive rack on with vcds?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A5_(8T)_Active_Steering

That VCDS page doesn't apply to the rack used in the cars you've mentioned. At least I can't see any autoscans online where a Golf has 1B fitted...

You need to find a VIN from a similar Superb with PR-1N7. Just as a random example: https://www.autogids.be/detail-id--8200921--skoda-superb-wagon-sportline-1-5-tsi-110-kw-7-speed-auto/tweedehands.html

With the VIN, you should be able to find the steering rack part number. A decent retrofitter should also be able to use the VIN to pull a Superb specific dataset for the module :thumbup:

edit:

Here is an example Superb with the same rack as my Octavia vRS: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/24676/

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500)       Labels:| 5Q0-909-144.clb
   Part No SW: 3Q0 909 144 M    HW: 3Q0 909 144 L
   Component: EPS_MQB_ZFLS  507 5082
   Coding: 81170000
   Shop #: WSC 00033 790 00150
   ASAM Dataset: EV_SteerAssisMQB 015157
   ROD: EV_SteerAssisMQB_015.rod
   VCID: 3C20CD16F6E65AFB4EB-8068

No fault code found.

I'd take note of that VIN (TMBBM7NP9L7012977) as both the UK and Australia are RHD. Hopefully a retrofitter can find an appropriate dataset for you :)

Edited by langers2k

12 hours ago, langers2k said:

With the VIN, you should be able to find the steering rack part number.

Thanks langers.

Out of interest is there a way to identify the part for a particular vehicle from a VIN without access to a dealers parts software?

The best I can see is going onto one of the webpages and drilling down to a parts list but there are occasions where there are two different parts for that year & model.

Online parts catalogues might help but they don't give as much information as the proper Skoda system - at least not without subscribing.

Having multiple parts for a single year/model is normal. Each part will have different PR-codes so you use those to narrow it down.

Can you post an autoscan of your car using VCDS or similar? It might help to see what you currently have installed...?