Need new front brakes/pads Question?

Ozisa

Hey guys, 

So just had my 2016 superb 206tsi wagon in for a service yesterday and come back with needing new front discs and pads.

So my questions  is how hard is this to do yourself?, ive done my front brakes/pads on previous cars before (non euro cars) and its been fine however not a car like this or am I over thinking this?. I have a choice it seems to either go stock again or upgrade to something like DBA T2 discs and pads?, this car is a family car so no track work but wouldnt mind some added extra braking performance but then again dont want to fork out huge amounts for a brake upgrade.

so yeah how hard is this to do yourself? the shop wants to charge me a bit to do the job.

Cheers!

I disagree with your choice.

Your choice should be "do I swallow the BS they (may) have given me to try and make more money or do I inspect the discs and pads and decide for myself if they need doing or are they are trying it on?"

I bet you they reported that they were 75% worn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You're over thinking it. 

You have to ask is it an upgrade. The factory setup works well. Will the dba stop you shorter in a one off braking event? Probably not. You'll probably stop faster with a driving course. If the hazards aren't activating and the seat belt isn't pulling you into the seat it means you can push harder.

Fitting new front brakes discs and pads on this car is no harder than any other car. I think there is a wear sensor on one side, you just have to trace the cable back to just inside the wheel arch to find the plug, disconnect it and reconnect the wire from the new pads.

oh yes and do check it actually needs doing!

Edited by nicknorman

6 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

If your local Indie will fit parts you supply just buy Brembo/Pagid discs and pads, should cost around €250 fitted or half of what a main dealer would want for the job

I wouldn't touch Brembo Pads, mine rattle in the carrier over uneven roads, having them changed to TRW who make the braking system on the front of my 280 4x4

• 4 weeks later...

Just changed my front pads this weekend. Still ok with 130.000 km but was not sure if they had "hardened" over the years/use. I think that they could have lasted 10.000 km more, but just changed them for the peace of mind and because I'll be using my car quite intensively the next months and I want to be sure this will not be an issue.

Replaced with a set of TRW pads, 50 € (bought o Amazon).

Front right wheel is where the sensor is. Disconnect, connect the new one and you're good to go.

And remember to torque the caliper to spec (35 Nm).

Edited by Txmax

5 hours ago, Txmax said:

Just changed my front pads this weekend. Still ok with 130.000 km but was not sure if they had "hardened" over the years/use. I think that they could have lasted 10.000 km more, but just changed them for the peace of mind and because I'll be using my car quite intensively the next months and I want to be sure this will not be an issue.

Your car is only 5 years old. There's plenty of 20 year old cars that are still on the original front brake pads...and still working well.

It's tyres that harden with age, not pads.

Just changed my discs and pads a few weeks ago. Very simple job to do pads. Discs needed a little muscle. For info my pads had done 37.5k and were the lowest i have ever found on one of my cars. Sensor warning never activated so must still be a little left. Definitely check the remaining pad surface for yourself and if not needed now set a reminder to check in a few months. Too many garages inventing work.

My A2 disks lasted 130k km, be surprised if the barge's Superb's are still original. Might be. Would still go ATE Powerdisc + Ceramic, though, if I need to. Slightly better performance, decent longevity, good experience elsewhere.