Front brake backplate corrosion.

maccy

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

People will post whatever they wish to.  Has battery charging come up yet, I don't read everyone's posts? 😁

Yes, you just brought it up. 😁

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

Not if the OP doesn't even need to fix the stupid thing at all.

Didn't fix mine. I haven't fixed it yet. Haven't died quite yet, and it quite possibly won't be that that'll kill me.

IMO, it seems like more to go wrong. If the OP wants to fix it then sure, but they don't need to, like you say.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Double post.

But he should charge his battery as a precaution anyway, its coming to the season where like the adverts for Xmas we will be getting constant reminders.

Update to the original post,the car passed the MOT today with no advisories.But for what it costs I am going to change the rotting backplates,they are mega cheap and I have plenty of bolts in stock.

Thanks for all of the replies team.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Yet more Karoq brake backplate woes (MY2019 SE L, 30K miles)! Nasty metallic rattle from OSF wheel. Nice AA man removed wheel and backplate dropped onto ground, 3 fixing points completely shredded from corrosion (incompatible metals, aluminium plate vs steel screws according to AA). Fortunately I caught this before item dropped onto highway, as reported by another member, but I had very little warning plate was loose. 

Karoq brake backplate.jpg

That is not aluminium but a special grade of self destructing steel, you can see a rust mark on the far right.

They do look to hzve some sort of plzting though which is a step in the right direction but it looks like the material specification is still for cheese!

I put 312mm heatshields on the Monte when the brakes were done. Theyre galvanised and after nearly 2 years and over 40k they're so far so good. The standard heatshields that came off it were Swiss cheese though.

I have 312mm heat shields to go onto the vrsdi but the bolts for the standard shields are all rounded. I presume I should just use the aforementioned chisel method to get them out?

Thanks for all the comments folks. I suppose my main point was a warning to check out any light metallic rattle from a front wheel pronto. The backplate fixings might be about to let go any minute! Dreadful to think what might result with a metal frisbee getting chucked out at motorway speeds! BTW, apologies for taking up so much screen area with the massive image of my crappy backplate. I'm a Briskoda newbie and haven't checked out how the forum manages JPEG sizes.

9 minutes ago, Mike29979 said:

apologies for taking up so much screen area with the massive image of my crappy backplate. I'm a Briskoda newbie and haven't checked out how the forum manages JPEG sizes.

I had to open it in another window and  enlarge it for my current vision so no complaints form me!

1 of my front plates started making a noise the next thing few of down the road. I went to have a look and it got flatten over a few times. The both sides are missing now but makes very little difference.

My 2011 old S4 has alloy dust shields, even although I know the issues with aluminium alloy heat shields and steel retainers well, I had so far failed to consider that these aluminium alloy dust shields will suffer in the same way, ie dissimilar metals, hum, maybe I should check them when changing the winter/summer wheels over!

That happening on a 2019 car with only 30K miles is a bit much to take, even up here where rock salt is regularly spread on the roads - though I think that councils roads department are now just getting rid of stocks of salt to create space for other things, plenty salt was laid down early Saturday morning it seems.

Edit:- at least the identification marking have survived on that corroded dust shield!!

Edited by rum4mo

It's the same with aluminium exhaust heat shields. They often use steel fixings to hold the thin aluminium plates and the plates just rot away around the steel fixings and the plates start rattling or drop down.

Thanks for the comments folks. Seems a wee moan to my dealership might be in order (they'll probably have a suitable answer)! The AA man said from his experience brake backplates don't achieve much and he finds many owners have not replaced them. One thing I'm not quite clear about: are backplates intended to protect the disc from road dirt OR the rest of the suspension/underbody from corrosive brake dust?

Thanks sepulchrave. I had a related problem on a previous Yeti, where a small pebble got trapped inside the backplate, making a similar metallic rattle to what I had this time - just less dramatic!

On 16/04/2023 at 19:23, TMB said:

It's the same with aluminium exhaust heat shields. They often use steel fixings to hold the thin aluminium plates and the plates just rot away around the steel fixings and the plates start rattling or drop down.

Exactly, I had worked that out after reading that posting from the newish Karoq - before that I lived in ignorant bliss, maybe.

I think that I still have a few spare repair "washers" for exhaust heat shields - I made up quite a few from food tins when I first needed to sort out that issue many years ago.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1