Wish i hadn't bought my MK4 Octavia and kept my karoq

ry123

I sold my Karoq 1.5 Sportline 4x4 auto which was costing a fortune fuel wise around 8 months ago  , and purchased a 1yr old 2020 mk4 Octavia Sel Tdi first edition 150bhp auto with upgraded 18 inch wheels and full matrix headlights . What a big mistake The car is so uncomfortable over bumps you can feel every one probably the 18inch wheels not helping and a constant banging coming from the back of the car over uneven UK roads, i have had numerous errors coming and going , most annoying is the front and rear assist error which will not clear until engine has been off for 30mins or so, and now my engine management warning light has come on yesterday and also front assist limited availability, luckily this heap of crap is going in for a service and to get all the errors and the warning light looked at Christ the car has only done 17000 miles from new, i have had Skoda's for the past 10 years unfortunately this might be my last, as the car is going when all the errors are gone the only good thing on this car im afraid is the mpg over 60+ and that is it 😟

Anyone new to this forum DO NOT BUY A MK4 OCTAVIA JUST A HEAP OF CRAP !!!   

Edited by ry123
  • Groan 1

• ry123 changed the title to Wish i hadn't bought my MK4 Octavia and kept my karoq

Yes they are aware , and i cant believe the wait times to book a service in as well , Skoda used to be very good with service booking  times even the courtesy cars are over 4 week wait .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Felix2021 said:

Valid question.

I had Ateca before O4. When buying Ateca was also testing Karoq. O4 is SO much more comfy then both of them.

For me change from Ateca to O4 was a very good choice.

The Karoq Sportline was like driving in an armchair , i had the mk3 Octavia and it wasn't as harsh on the roads as the mk4 .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Did you check if your car still has transportation blocks in the springs?

yes no transport blocks , i think it might just be the upgrade in the wheels , but god knows what the banging in the rear is , i have tried all the hacks on this site .

• Like 1

All these woes with the Mk4 Octavia is one of the reasons I am keeping hold of my Mk3, which has been very reliable over 64000 miles. Recently had a Karoq Sportline as a courtesy car which was very nice but no way worth £33k. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ry123 said:

Anyone new to this forum DO NOT BUY A MK4 OCTAVIA JUST A HEAP OF CRAP !!!   

You need to remember one thing

YOUR_CAR ≠ ALL_CARS

What I want tell you is this; would I have followed your advice I would not have been driving a problem free Octavia Mk4 for six months. What applies to your car simply does not apply to newer cars where the problems have been ironed out.

Oh, one thing I remember, the front assist and ACC crapped out once while I was slowly driving through a thunderstorm, near horizontal rain and visibility dropped to less than 200 meters. Perhaps I should tell people not to buy the car? 😅

• Like 2

Ya, there are two MK4 Octavia's in the yard here at home and zero problems. One is only a few weeks old granted but the other has been faultless all year.

Strangely the Style on 18" wheels I find it very soft and comfortable, not at all harsh over bumps and there plenty bumpy roads in Ireland!

On 14/10/2022 at 16:18, ry123 said:

Yes they are aware , and i cant believe the wait times to book a service in as well , Skoda used to be very good with service booking  times even the courtesy cars are over 4 week wait .

Agree, gone downhill, faulty cars and lack of dealers workshops to fix them.

Coming of Citroën, which is known for its plush soft suspension, to octavia vrs, i have to say I'm loving the car. Of course it's stiffer, but that's exactly what I want. I have 0 problems on mine, best car ever. It sounds like this car is not for you, you chose the wrong car... It's not the cars problem. 

Didn't you test drove the car before buying it? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GregB11x said:

Coming of Citroën, which is known for its plush soft suspension, to octavia vrs, i have to say I'm loving the car. Of course it's stiffer, but that's exactly what I want. I have 0 problems on mine, best car ever. It sounds like this car is not for you, you chose the wrong car... It's not the cars problem. 

Didn't you test drove the car before buying it? 

They're terrible things to say. Of course it's the cars problem if there are warning lights popping up all over the place and the rear suspension is clunking and clanking like a galley ship, with only 17K on the clock I'd be ****ed off too. Hopefully he'll get sorted... Hopefully...  

53 minutes ago, j caff said:

They're terrible things to say. Of course it's the cars problem if there are warning lights popping up all over the place and the rear suspension is clunking and clanking like a galley ship, with only 17K on the clock I'd be ****ed off too. Hopefully he'll get sorted... Hopefully...  

Who said anything about the suspension being bad? I'm 99% sure he's got the sloppy boot lid stoppers that allow the lid to bottom out when going over bumps.

On 14/10/2022 at 16:21, ry123 said:

The Karoq Sportline was like driving in an armchair , i had the mk3 Octavia and it wasn't as harsh on the roads as the mk4 .

Sounds like you have a problem, I had the Mk3 and the Mk4 is miles better for comfort and handling, totally different league. Apart from the electronic issues that are finally getting sorted (most of them!!) the Mk4 is a far better car than the Mk3 I had, and I had both as SEL so identical comparison. I do agree the electronic issues really got to me as well, VW/Skoda (both have the same issues) took way to long to address them, especially the safety ones. Fingers crossed they will sort your car out but certainly great ride on the standard SEL with 17 inch wheels.  

• Like 1