Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2023/2024

2 minutes ago, vRSG60 said:

Thanks, I have an Amundsen . I’d like Spain & France on the same card. Only way to do this is to put the whole  of Europe on  BBC a 32GB card it seems.

ECE1 has Spain, France and the UK which fits on a 16gb card 👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vRSG60 said:

Thanks, I have an Amundsen . I’d like Spain & France on the same card. Only way to do this is to put the whole  of Europe on  BBC a 32GB card it seems.

You need this file/location

# ECE 1
Andorra, Belgium, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

• Like 1

& on the 32gb card it doesn't have to be Skoda, can be Seat or VW. All the head units of VAG mib2 recognise any brand of VAG card whilst mib1 will also work with a mib2 VAG CID. We have had that where some one buys an old car with mib1 and used a mib2 card in it loaded with mib1 maps. Somethings don't change like the CID check between mib1 and mib2. Seat don't have Mapcare so other things need to be done to work around that other than that, all map card rules apply.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tell said:

We have had that where some one buys an old car with mib1 and used a mib2 card in it loaded with mib1 maps. 

I can confirm that, my previous Octavia had a MIB1 Amundsen and I used both MIB1 and MIB2 SD cards for map updates, both of which worked.

Now I have a MIB2 Amundsen and for future proofing purchased a 32GB Skoda SD card off eBay (other auction sites are available).

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

11 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:
12 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I can confirm that, my previous Octavia had a MIB1 Amundsen and I used both MIB1 and MIB2 SD cards for map updates, both of which worked.

Now I have a MIB2 Amundsen and for future proofing purchased a 32GB Skoda SD card off eBay (other auction sites are available).

The interchange of cards is a useful thing to know. 👍

You can also make these units work outside the region using another region. Brits take their cars to Oz. Yanks bring Golf to the EU. Quite a few EU cars head to Palestine secondhand. We've perfected that with the Transporter board an people popping up with different cars. Documented elsewhere. Since the maps aren't locked down you can do tricks with them.

5 hours ago, varooom said:

You need this file/location

# ECE 1
Andorra, Belgium, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

Strange I thought I’d looked at all the options. In fact year I did but not Germany and Switzerland etc. decided I’d leave Spain off.

Edited by vRSG60
  • Like 1

Since I'd said about map from other regions outside of the EU the text is here. I've got Ozzie people out of a hole here who did imports on European infotainment unit. This was T6 Transformer / Seat board joint working, the results of it. Only Seat need step 7. You can do the full works. It seemed that newer units needed steps 8 & 9 whilst I can get away with 1-7 in 2019 Arona. Sort of suck it and see. So I've loaded Israel, Oz and South American maps in it helping people in the past. You frig the maps to the units existing region firmware rather than frigging the firmware to the region:

Got a car with a working installed map but outside of the region - need to get local map working ? (Mib2 Standard only)

Example taking a car to Morocco. Exporting a US VW to France. Exporting a European car to Palestine. Emigrated with your mib2 car from Europe to Australia.

The T6forum perfected some of this but joint working across the boards got it going for more modern units. Guy in Palestine sorted that out for latest VWs which were the problem.

Arona standard Mib2 is happy with the original T6forum method with the workaround above.

Advanced method with example with Israel as the map (text taken from a VW user):

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/how...-in-non-eu-countries-e-g-morocco.10331/page-2

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

3. Erase everything on the card, (Before making a backup of what's on it).

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

Basically 7. is the Exciter workaround

8 and 9 are the two additional steps that some VAG heads required to make it work on out of zone maps. Was fine for the Arona, step 1- 7 was sufficient and only presenting the target country in 00 directory not editing and leaving the rest as is. Suspect the wifi standard heads of Seat would need steps 8 and 9.

Had maps of Morocco and Israel on a European Arona unit.

The method with steps 8 and 9 was used on the VW car brought to France from North America and the car that was exported to Palestine from Europe. For the US car the country code is 01 so 00 content is renamed to 01.

Edited by Tell

Looking on eBay there are Mib2 cards and Mib1 I’m lost with the posts above and can’t follow what can & can’t be used so I’ll stick with a card with Mib2 in the description.

2 hours ago, vRSG60 said:

Looking on eBay there are Mib2 cards and Mib1 I’m lost with the posts above and can’t follow what can & can’t be used so I’ll stick with a card with Mib2 in the description.

They are all interchangeable between mib1 and mib2 as far as the CID is concerned. VW / Seat / Skoda cards can be used across brands and mib1 and mib2. Whatever the checksum / validation is used they all say OK fine when put in the unit.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vRSG60 said:

When looking at these cards on EBay how does one know what size the card is? They mostly just state Europe 1 and a card serial number!

If you search under  mib2 32gb you find them. Reckon mib1 never got to 32gb. So it's got to be searched under that for that size. It was a marketing thing when the all Europe map went large.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tell said:

If you search under  mib2 32gb you find them. 

But when the card arrives check the size by putting it into a PC, the first supposedly 32GB card I got off eBay was actually 16GB so I reported it to the seller who refunded me and then changed the description of their listing. The second 32GB card was actually a 32GB card.

As always 'caveat emptor'.

16 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

But when the card arrives check the size by putting it into a PC, the first supposedly 32GB card I got off eBay was actually 16GB so I reported it to the seller who refunded me and then changed the description of their listing. The second 32GB card was actually a 32GB card.

As always 'caveat emptor'.

Yes there are rascals out there. I bought a Skoda one a few years back from a seller a German Skoda forum was using it was fine. That was the first year of them being available. It is possible for people to manufacture fake ones using Chinese SD cards with rewritable CID areas and put a VAG sticker on them. 

1 hour ago, vRSG60 said:

The seller doesn't specifically state the size, but Googling that part number suggests it's a 32GB card.

• Like 1

This is where there was one case of a Seat person messing up their 32GB SD card so you never knew whether it was a cheap fake or they messed it up. Person A sold it to Person B on the SeatCupra board and it never worked but did before. 

That's why you never try to reformat them just delete what is on them and wait for it too work thru. Windows 10 and 11 default to cluster size that is way to large. There have been historic conversations on here about the manufacture of these cards. If you do, do a reformat you have to bring them back to a cluster size of 4096 in FAT32 and keep your fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Update on the full EU map compressed in 16GB.
I did some in depth testing and drove over 3000 km using it.
In a few words - it works 99% of the time like a normal map.
Things that you are missing with the "super compressed map":
- PIO location and icons

- some icons of accidents that are NOT on your route

- most colors of traffic jams not on your route (still visible tho, but not as red/yellow/etc)

Of course 1 language only :)

Except that works perfectly and you still have 12 bites of free space on your SD :D

If you are interested in testing it out let me know :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my EBay SD card arrived and works. It says "MIB2-GEN2 Navigation AS Europe 2023 (32GB) Europe ECE 2023/24" on the card so I'm assuming it's the up to date softawre.

Checking on the Amundsen I get "5L0051236DB 2010 ECE AS 24/24" so agin I assume I have the updated maps.

13 minutes ago, vRSG60 said:

Well, my EBay SD card arrived and works. It says "MIB2-GEN2 Navigation AS Europe 2023 (32GB) Europe ECE 2023/24" on the card so I'm assuming it's the up to date softawre.

Checking on the Amundsen I get "5L0051236DB 2010 ECE AS 24/24" so agin I assume I have the updated maps.

The 2010 you see is the vag common release code so you do indeed have the latest.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Joco776 said:

That looks like an out of region map. They appear like that when the map geography doesn't tally with the gps signal. I know its marked up for Czech Republic, suggest you try out one of the other regions. The other way of checking what the map represents is to zoom back. That's the right hand knob on the infotainment unit if its got one. You turn and it will zoom in and out, other than that you pinch and squeeze the infotainment screen. Stroke left, right, up or down and you will eventually see some roads to the zone it represents. If it's a GPS issue of the units getting confused you can do a long hold on the on/off button till it resets. If for example you have the car in an underground car park not getting a signal would / could lead to that issue. More likely than not the country is missing from the file if the gps signal is good.

You might want to upgrade to the Skoda 32gb card if you haven't got that and use the all Europe file. Martini Bs first one.  

Edited by Tell

I tried to zoom out and zoom in, nothing, just a black screen. I photographed it outside, where maps from Škoda always work for me. At the same time, it normally reads that there are navigation files on the SD card. The vehicle tells me that the traffic signs are out of range and the ACC doesn't even know the speed, only what it reads through the camera.