Wading depth

I've searched the pdf manual for the wading depth of my 2017 Scout but can't find any info.

Can anyone point me to the info or know what it is from a good source?

I had to turn back from a few stream crossings as I was not certain how deep I could go.

Thanks again.

I can't have been using the correct search terms.

So as the Scout is 3cm higher than a std Octavia I guess I have a small bit extra.

I would have hoped that we could have done a couple of more cms.

EDIT.

I missed the above manual stuff, but nice to see that it does point out the issues. 

Wading depth is all well and good, but risky unless you know the road / stream and no manhole cover is up or a boulder in your route.

Then when going into the water if a steam / ford be sure there is not a strong flow going down.

If dirty water that is going on your alternator, starter etc. 

Going through a flood it can go wrong when an idiot comes in the opposite direction quickly putting the water over your bonnet, windscreen and maybe into your non raised air intake. 

Remember and dry your brakes out, and if it is a frosty day / night later that water might be freezing where ever it got in during the wading. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, silverden said:

Take it through Rufford ford. That'll answer your question !    

You beat me to it. I've been watching a lot of those videos lately.

• Love it! 1

5 hours ago, roottoot said:

EDIT.

I missed the above manual stuff, but nice to see that it does point out the issues. 

Wading depth is all well and good, but risky unless you know the road / stream and no manhole cover is up or a boulder in your route.

Then when going into the water if a steam / ford be sure there is not a strong flow going down.

If dirty water that is going on your alternator, starter etc. 

Going through a flood it can go wrong when an idiot comes in the opposite direction quickly putting the water over your bonnet, windscreen and maybe into your non raised air intake. 

Remember and dry your brakes out, and if it is a frosty day / night later that water might be freezing where ever it got in during the wading. 

My brother in law drove  through water across a road known well to him.

What he didn't know was erosion had dropped the road surface a few feet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roottoot said:

My local ford looks nothing when at the lowest water level, and even when a bit higher looks ok to go through but even on a heavy vehicle you get a shock when the car or even an offroader starts moving sideways downstream. 

DSCN4049.JPG.0d282015be0bfc624fae663bd4888753.jpeg

DSCN4050.JPG.5bae04448699b49dc984a983b918addb.jpeg

DSCN4051.JPG.a292501c82183db64cb797c5d30cce2d.jpeg

I agree about the floating thing, it's not all about water in the cylinder or wet electrics.

Half a century ago when I was using rough old Land Rovers to get to Odessa via various countries we took all the floor rubber bungs out to let the water in and out quickly.

• Like 2

What kills most cars going through Rufford ford is the bow wave getting into the air intake......engines don't like it...

The MQB platform cars have the air filter box sealed/piped to the slam panel which is the air intake...& basically the gap between the underside of the leading edge of the bonnet & the top of the grille...

Most engine models have a water drain point with a one way flap to let water out, but not allow air in...this at the lowest point in the pipework between the air filter & the slam panel..

On 03/11/2022 at 23:37, gumdrop said:

What he didn't know was erosion had dropped the road surface a few feet.

Not a very convincing excuse on his part!

Earlier vehicles had a duct going down from the slam panel to a low air intake to collect cooler air, I think it might even be the case on the MQB vehicles if you look closely.

But just behind the slam panel there is a chamber with a clip off lid, the clips break easily and often the lid is missing, this chamber is to drain out any rain mist of road splash that is drawn up with the intake air, its second function is to ensure that if the vehicle wades and the intake is below the water level the engine will draw air from the drain channel of the chamber at bonnet level and not suck up any water from below, air being far less dense than water the engine will happily breath through the restricted secondary intake and not lift a column of liquid.

To hydraulic lock the engine of one of these vehicles you would have to wade to the bonnet depth.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not a very convincing excuse on his part!

I think it actually accepted the whole long wheelbase Land Rover in one swallow 🤣

• Haha 2

On 03/11/2022 at 18:54, silverden said:

Take it through Rufford ford. That'll answer your question !    

That looks quite low there tbh

On 03/11/2022 at 21:58, ords said:

You beat me to it. I've been watching a lot of those videos lately.

They're quite mesmerising/amusing :)

• Like 1

On 04/11/2022 at 20:12, fabdavrav said:

What kills most cars going through Rufford ford is the bow wave getting into the air intake......engines don't like it...

Neither does the driver!

Admittedly mine wasn't Rufford Ford, it was Barskimming Road outside Mauchline and there was a burst pipe, was about 8pm at night and dark. Didn't see the water until I was well and truly in it. The Fabia made it out... I'm not entirely sure how to be honest. :D

• Like 1