Cleaning the inside of the windscreen, what to use.

gumdrop

I cleaned off ice and snow from the outside of my car windows but the inside of the windscreen has smears that won't come off.

My screen wipe cloth is new never used before, older clothes are hand washed and rinsed in hot water (twice) any tips?

The stuff used by the cleaners / valeters before car delivery can make a mess after the cars is used for a while and the AC and the new plastic fumes / chemicals getting on the screen.

Soft Clean Cloths or kitchen towels, J-clothes etc, 

scrunched up newspaper after cleaning with white vinegar or products then lint free cloths. 

Diluted washing up liquid works, or shaving cream / foam and lots of other stuff that has been used for decades. (some swear by using toothpaste, see youtube.)

Methylated spirit or alcohol used with care and where no naked light. 

Elbow grease. 

1157770098_DSCN2443.JPG.94768b4a6a1110d290932694524a3b7b(1).jpeg.01d4bba2d344692c163ec7fcd5a9ecbd.jpeg

Edited by toot

19 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

the inside of the windscreen has smears that won't come off.

Clean with plain Ajax and paper towel. Polish with a lint free duster. After this do not touch except for defogging with lint free dusters.

^^^No.   never.

Let others use aggressive scouring powders on glass.     

EDIT. Sorry, 

It does say Scratch Free now.   BUT Maybe what you have under the sink or in the shed / garage is not scratch free.

I see there is Ajax spray now.

Screenshot 2022-12-18 09.46.03.png

Edited by toot

7 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, I have some isopropyl alcohol, I will give that a try first.

This is what I was just about to suggest.

The rubbing alcohol (70% proof) seems to work better than the 100% pure for glass cleaning.

I use it with an old tea-towel and it is great for de-greasing and cleaning glass. Needs buffing after cleaning to be perfectly clean as it can leave streaks.

5 minutes ago, EnterName said:

This is what I was just about to suggest.

The rubbing alcohol (70% proof) seems to work better than the 100% pure for glass cleaning.

I use it with an old tea-towel and it is great for de-greasing and cleaning glass. Needs buffing after cleaning to be perfectly clean as it can leave streaks.

70% proof, what sort of mixer do you suggest? Thanks I will see what I can find locally.

3 hours ago, EnterName said:

I don't mix it, I just buy it as "Rubbing Alcohol".

image.thumb.png.e7640054c248d6e2eea363070a11a07f.png

Sorry mixers referred to tonic water, ginger ale or similar to mix with alcoholic drinks. My sense of humour

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Autoglym's Fast Glass, inside and outside. Awesome stuff. Spray on, wipe before it all flashes (ideally with a microfibre but kitchen towel will do) and it's job done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To add my tuppence, Alcohol wipes with a high concentration of alcohol (70%), similar to what EnterName said. Whilst it's then still damp I wipe over with a few bits of kitchen roll.