TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

Probably just needs a software expert. Problem is you need the unit and be a software expert so solutions start to get thin on the ground. Fortunate that the Here Maps cartography and toolkit built into their files is flexible enough for the purpose so the starting point is, is the cartography of Here Maps / the company they came from in both cases, then you might be in with a chance.

The Australians seem to be good at adapting the setup to their market which is how the mib2 standard one came from and PCbbc's special source on those files. Decrypt of what was in them. Bridage had the solution via the mib2 standard toolkit but generalisation needed coding. For mib2  high it was just changing the coding which picks up groups of TMC providers across international markets. The well engineered approach to the files allowed that.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies on this.  I did as it happen consult DIAGNOSTICS & REPAIRS | SatNav Systems as their website suggests they are the experts in this kind of thing, and they replied (confirming what I think we have already concluded) as follows:  

The Traffic/TMC (Traffic Message Channel) stopped working on VAG Group cars as of 28th February 2023 due to the licence not being renewed.

We are not aware of any workarounds to get TMC on the Columbus/RNS-510 any longer so the only way to get live traffic is on your Smartphone using an App such as Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps  

They actually work far better than the TMC used to!

I think I have now drawn a blank. 

• Like 1

That's management consultant watch reading where they borrow your watch to tell you the time 😉. Some people like to use the built in maps. No faffing with connections just drive. Ofcourse those external solutions need AA / Car Play. I wouldn't trust my tablet on turn for turn navigation not falling asleep. A lot of roads are missing from Google, farm tracks that aren't roads, builders roads on new estates, the real estate roads missing. The quality of the cartography is wanting at time. POIs misplaced.

The travel time stuff is more accurate thou since its using real time data gleaned from other users from their apps GPS. Waze is just crowd sourcing. Only as good as the crowd that add to it. The cheap answer to TMC.

Horses for courses.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 16:49, pcbbc said:

MIB2STD 2020 Maps with TMC Update for Amundsen/Discover Media/Technisat

This method doesn't require any toolbox installation, etc.

Unmodifed V12 map download: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

TMC providers update: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update.7z

Instructions:

1. Download both 7z files.

2. Unzip unmodified V12 maps to SD card.  Instead of downloading, you can use your existing copy of V12 maps if you already have a copy.

3. Unzip the TMC Update to the same SD card, replacing any duplicate files.

4. Check/configure FEE BASED TRAFFIC INFO is set to 1023 using VCDS/OBD11.

Give a big thank you to @bigade1 for working out the correct TMC config and doing the testing on his MIB2STD. 👏

In France, Via Michelin has stopped TMC service on 31/12/2021 so all VW, Skoda and Seat won't get TMC events anymore in France.

For MIB2 Discover Pro and Discover Media Delphi, we need to recode TMC adaptation channel  to enable Mediamobile as the new provider and TMC events being received.

But for Discover Media Technisat, there is no solution now.

I can modify the XML file to change the provider (SID, LTN) but I don't know how to proceed for se, vw, sk_default.cfg.

If somebody can explain how to unzip, modify, rezip step, I would be very happy.

Thanks for help.

@pcbbcon your Techinsat has recompiled some files to make it work in the UK. Are you sure if you don't do the the v2 solution posted above it doesn't knock you onto the other group which would work for you?. The fix might be already here. You use v12 maps linked above plus replace the modules as shown. Might be worth a try. There is a grouping of TMC providers which might include the one you want. Basically VW one's were "free", the others are "pay". If your target is in the pay one then you might be fine. On the mib2 high, if the 15->14 works on the disconnected suspect that the mib2 standard fix will work.

Edited by Tell

2 minutes ago, Tell said:

@pcbbcon your Techinsat has recompiled some files to make it work in the UK. Are you sure if you don't do the the v2 solution posted above it doesn't knock you onto the other group which would work for you?. The fix might be already here. You use v12 maps linked above plus replace the modules as shown. Might be worth a try. There is a grouping of TMC providers which might include the one you want. Basically VW one's were "free", the others are "pay". If your target is in the pay one then you might be fine. On the mib2 high, if the 15->14 works on the disconnected suspect that the mib2 standard fix will work.

In France, we are lucky, Mediamobile and Via Michelin use the same TMC table (number 32) but Mediamobile doesn't exist in Map config files.

I just need to replace Via Michelin with Media mobile in Tmcprovider.xml as I know the SID and the LTN transmitted.

2 minutes ago, Tell said:

@bigade1 and @pcbbc

Bigade1 got it working using the mib2 standard tool box and VCDS coding. Pcbbc removed the need for the tool box by recompiling those modules.

I prefer Pcbbc solution, how to recompile cfg files, which tools used?

You can extract the files using 7zip.

However to reassemble them requires a specific format. It can’t be done with 7zip.  I developed my own custom tool set.

If you make the changes you want to the xml files and send them to me, along with the original cfg, I will repack them for you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 12:06, Tell said:

No you have to do @pcbbc version 2 copy over of those modules where he says unzip and copy, overwite. I wasn't certain whether Tazdaz just did that and didn't move to V12. It would have been a quick download anyway if he'd done a full V12 download. Not sure whether @PCbbc's mod is specific to V12 or can be used on previous releases.

1430 is the V12 release. You see that then installed under info or whatever Skoda call it. The card / download to use as the starting point.

That's this bit:

b. If you don't have VCDS / Obdeleven Pro coding device and want TMC to work in the UK with Inrix service but aren't so bothered about all Europe TMC providers use the module: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z This option assumes the current TMC fee based setting is set to 15. Default.

In both instances, you need the V12 map:

Unmodifed V12 map download: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

----

Open up the zip file in the file manager, drag and drop on the card copying over what was there. That's right click in file manager on the zip file, drag and drop onto the SD card.

In all instances take a back up copy of the card before you do it. 

Do you necessarily need the V12 map or will any more recent map work with the same TMC updates?
Should you see TMC without the strikethrough in the Traffic display if it works?

24 minutes ago, NigelKG said:

Do you necessarily need the V12 map or will any more recent map work with the same TMC updates?
Should you see TMC without the strikethrough in the Traffic display if it works?

Mib2 standard the SD based one you need V12 and patches on the thread. Mib2 high, the Columbus one the coding solution will work with the latest maps or anything before. The SD solution you trade latest maps against TMC. You can put it on another Vag card and use the solution that takes your fancy on the day of driving.

How it works. Pcbbc is the expert but it populates those geographical tags and updates them. The radio bandwidth limits the speed that it comes down at. Hence it builds up over a short period.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/09/2023 at 14:08, Tell said:

Mib2 standard the SD based one you need V12 and patches on the thread. Mib2 high, the Columbus one the coding solution will work with the latest maps or anything before. The SD solution you trade latest maps against TMC. You can put it on another Vag card and use the solution that takes your fancy on the day of driving.

OK great - it works.. Many thanks.
Why does it not work after V12.7? The files that have changed are TMCProviders and TMCProviderSets. which are the same up to V18. I guess its something in the binary default.cfg file which must be tied to the map version?

27 minutes ago, NigelKG said:

OK great - it works.. Many thanks.
Why does it not work after V12.7? The files that have changed are TMCProviders and TMCProviderSets. which are the same up to V18. I guess its something in the binary default.cfg file which must be tied to the map version?

It's in the map files those segments of road which have a set of flags that can be toggled on and off are not implemented in the mib2 standard map files after V12 for Inrix as TomTom cartography files that are used didn't get it implemented. Guess whoever prepares the files for mib2 standard (it's a commercial company) streamlined their systems to just import the traffic master files. V12 were based on HereMaps and included the flags for Inrix.

Pcbbc described it in the thread. Why the Ozzie solution also uses V12 for that reason.

Pcbbc who produced those two files short cuts the need for mib2 standard tool kit which the Ozzies used in their solution which was got working in the UK. The toolkit approach washed the files through the system whilst those two sets has the washing done for you. Clever guys on the thread.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a reply from my MP Karen Bradley who contacted the Department of Transport about the TMC problem we are all having. This reply is from the Minister for Roads and Local Transport Richard Holden.

I understand that my colleagues at The Department of Culture, Media and Sport have spoken to Ofcom who license broadcasting radio services, to get more information on what might be behind this issue.

The traffic data is provided as an additional service over broadcast radio frequencies (in particular facilitated by Global through their local FM transmitter network and over the Classic FM frequency). However the practical arrangements through which this takes place are between the data provider (Trafficmaster/Teletrac Newman) and individual vehicle manufacturers.

You will need to speak to your vehicle manufacturer in the first instance to see whether they are able to offer a solution to this issue.

As expected they are as much use as a chocolate raincoat and do not wish to get involved.😡😡😡

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

It’s also factually incorrect…

Trafficmaster was only ever broadcast on Capital and Heart.

INRIX are the provider that continue to use Classic FM.

Granted they are all Global Radio brands. But only the Classic FM TMC licence was tendered via Ofcom. My assumption is Trafficmaster had a private agreement with Capital and Heart, probably predating those stations acquisition by Global.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

The solution is to fix it yourself since the maps are basically a legacy product, not too long to go on updates now. VAG have this ability too drop support pretty quickly as they move from mib 2 to mib 3 in 2020 so pretty unlikely they would have lifted a finger. The official user POI import and destination import went in circa 2020. They keep the map updates going historically 5 years after moving onto the new mib which changes the map updates. Now 3 years into that. 

Thanks to pcbbc and bigade1 user solutions exist.... enjoyed the narrow lane messages this week on a mib2 standard. I'm sure Traffic Master didn't have that one 👏. It is useful. Swapped the maps over since one knew one was heading into a busy part of the world.

Usually it’s 5 years after discontinuation of the last vehicle that uses that generation of MIB, not after introduction of a newer generation of MIB on any vehicle in the range.

TT only stopped production this year (not sure of status of other MIB2H equipped vehicles), so we might expect at least another 5 years of updates on that platform at least.

Edited by pcbbc

Indeed it would be nice to get the TT 5 years for sure (2023+5). I've been working on 2020+5, worst scenario would be 2019+5. You'll have to point out where the TT file server is 🤔. Audi people turn up on MartiniB's threads after doing the AOL firmware update / Mib Tools... I cant say I follow Audi boards but note they have a navigation FeC upgrade when they arrive. Seat and Audi still operating mapcare limitations. Seat / Cupra lifted it in the final period on their production models. 

TrafficMaster sold off their network to Inrix earlier in the year.
VW have decilned to update their map dat but there is a fix available to use old map V12 online which works!
So if you dont mind out of date map data there is a fix.