TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

1 hour ago, Ben-2000 said:

I've tried this but it still doesn't work. It's probably something I've done / not done having seen it's success rate with others. 

I'm prepared to send my SD card and pay for this to be done if somebody is interested as despite giving it a go I really don't know what I'm doing!

Did you do the Seat "workaround" unless you do that I don't reckon it would work. For Skoda you won't find that mentioned except when I say... since they have unlimited mapcare on them whilst Seats don't. So it's that plus the TMC instructions.

You'd do b. on this I did for Seat people using PCBBCs material:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-136#post-5037297

Then you follow down and do the standard Seat workaround which means use that overall.nds file you'd saved before you deleted it !

But if you have lost it, a working one is here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-134#post-5031532

That attached zip file holds the year dot overall.nds file that fixes all subsequent releases (generally).

You'd download PCBBCs map file link. Do the workaround. test for map showing not the TMC test. Then use the PCBBC file DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z

Then do this bit... it's a drag and drop:

- Unzip the TMC Update to the same SD card, replacing any duplicate files.

Then back to the car. A reboot by long hold on the on/off switch is always a good idea when swapping cards, causes a re-read from scratch.

In the above I got you testing you could see the maps from the 1430 map release using the workaround ahead of the TMC mod. The TMC mod is that drag and drop of fragments to overwrite.

Don't think the key overall.nds file for the workaround gets over written but if it does re-write the one that works. Like the original or the fix all.

You have to sit back and wait for TMC data to come in.

Clear as a bell. Suspect it was the overall.nds file of the workaround. A 2016 car with maps of that period would be seen as an upgrade for the 1430 release and you'd need the workaround to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it was rookie error of copying @Pcbbc version 2 mod unzipped into the route directory of the card rather than a copy and replace within the file structure of the maps directory. Thus it was only seeing the original files not those which were deposited to one side.

Being a Seat you had to do the workaround of moving forward the overall.nds file. That had been done why the V14 maps were working but not the mod.

Then it instantly worked once the mod files went in the right place by an overwrite copy. Nothing special about mib2 standards Seats other than the overall.nds workaround copy if the updated maps are newer than the original. In this case they were.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie on this thread.  Skoda Superb 2016.  Anyone in the Orpington area equipped and willing to do the necessary for me at the going rate?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, WDH said:

Newbie on this thread.  Skoda Superb 2016.  Anyone in the Orpington area equipped and willing to do the necessary for me at the going rate?  Thanks.

MIB2 High or MIB2 Standard?

1 minute ago, WDH said:

L&K trim if that helps.

Probably not, my L&K has an Amundsen (plus Canton) and AFAIK Columbus was still an option on L&K models.

Maps showing without a map card on a mib2, then mib2 high. Pcbbc is not a Skoda owner, a cherished Audi mib2 high owner where we hope mib2 high map updates will continue for some more years. I've got a Seat Plus which is Seat name for a Columbus. Pcbbc has a funny twiddly knob to do stuff I know that. MMI had to Google. Audi name for mib.

This link is Audi centric. Needs updating.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Media_Interface

Edited by Tell

4 hours ago, WDH said:

If it turns out you have High then I can do the coding for you in Orpington. Send me a PM.

As said I’m not a VW owner, so not much help identifying your various systems. My understanding is Low system run off a SD card with maps which must be permanently inserted. High systems copy to internal flash storage, after which you can remove the media (SD card, USB stick, etc) and maps continue to function.

Did the 2018 Karoq Edition (I assume MIB3) use RDS-TMC?

I have an older 66 plate Audi and updated the system from Trafficmaster to INRIX.

But it's not clear in the Karoq (or in the manual) if traffic data of any kind is used, except that I can sign up to Skoda Connect to get live traffic data. And the 5F coding is 32771, different from 32783 that is recommended here.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

31 minutes ago, El Dingo said:

Did the 2018 Karoq Edition (I assume MIB3) use RDS-TMC?

I have an older 66 plate Audi and updated the system from Trafficmaster to INRIX.

But it's not clear in the Karoq (or in the manual) if traffic data of any kind is used, except that I can sign up to Skoda Connect to get live traffic data. And the 5F coding is 32771, different from 32783 that is recommended here.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Your Karoq 2018 won't be mib3 due to the 2018 date. The second check is do you see usb-a or usb-c. The latter is mib3, former mib2.

If the latter (mib2) which it certainly will be from the date does it have an SD card for navigation, if not it's a mib2 high (columbus). We have to do that to split out the mod required. SD card mapping the  modified files and old maps... specified above. If the maps are held on SSD it's the coding solution.

Now @pcbbc did have guidance on what to put in. I'd change to the recommended on the thread if it's a mib2 high. There is a tree in the map files which pcbbc explained to me much earlier up which is where the numbers come from. Thats how he got that number. It's banding which is in the map files. You can use the scientific method and read the files or the experimental method and just try the recommended number. I'd have a nose up when Pcbbc came up with the mib2 high solution and how it went down on the Skodas.

If however your system is running with an SD map card then it's not coding but changing the contents of the SD map file.

I've tracked down @pcbbc seminal post with the logic in it for mib2 high. That json if you want to look at. Studying that shows the values to get it to Inrix for mib2 high as tabled. Tap the white area above the thumbs up gets you there.

Page 20

》》

For MIB2 High…

Replace 15 with 14

Replace 32783 with 32782

Yes, you will lose some services abroad when in Finland or Hungary. Of course you can code back to your original value if you ever visit there.

For reference the TMC json configuration file for MIB2 are in the Mib2\NavDB\mapStyles_eu\0\default\x\navigation_styles_XX_EU.iso and look in folder Ti for file paytmc.json

《《

Hit the right bit below it takes you there. It's tri above. Thats the scientific method.

It's the SetId that does the deed. Itis is Inrix indexes to those numbers without and with online. Your 72771 currently gives you online + VW TMCPro but not Inrix.

32782 is what Pcbbc said... not 32783 that you said. Wrong... my later career was on QA 🤣

Edited by Tell

Hi Tell,

I have USB-A with the touch screen, no physical buttons, it looks like the attached image.

I can update the Nav over an SD card but the Nav data is stored in the unit and not held on a SD card. So is that MIB2 high?

Does this unit have RDS-TMC capability?

As I mentioned before, the coding in the Karoq is currently 32771. In my Audi the coding was 32783 changed to 32782. So I'm a little confused 🤔.

Thanks.

IMG_20240119_232425.jpg

41 minutes ago, El Dingo said:

Hi Tell,

I have USB-A with the touch screen, no physical buttons, it looks like the attached image.

I can update the Nav over an SD card but the Nav data is stored in the unit and not held on a SD card. So is that MIB2 high?

Does this unit have RDS-TMC capability?

As I mentioned before, the coding in the Karoq is currently 32771. In my Audi the coding was 32783 changed to 32782. So I'm a little confused 🤔.

Thanks.

IMG_20240119_232425.jpg

It's a mib2 high.

The coding should be set to 32782

Your current coding indexes groups of TMC providers. Online + VW TMCPro. Change to 32782 it brings in Inrix plus the kitchen sink... a group of others. I've closed down the laptop so can't paste them in.

• Thanks 1

Actually @pcbbcis the star 👍. Just remembered how he did it and QAed your text against his procedure of where that figure came from. This is when he explained to me which figure I should use. Seat never got online services so by studying my original 15 that I had in the unit you could see I needed 14 from the code logic, whilst those with connect services (online) needed 32782 to make it work. The code to put in varies by not online and online, not what you are on at the minute, although that tells you how it's currently configured. Its how you want to configure it that counts.

A reboot is required after the code change to get it to take it.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 15:16, pcbbc said:

If it turns out you have High then I can do the coding for you in Orpington. Send me a PM.

As said I’m not a VW owner, so not much help identifying your various systems. My understanding is Low system run off a SD card with maps which must be permanently inserted. High systems copy to internal flash storage, after which you can remove the media (SD card, USB stick, etc) and maps continue to function.

You were true to your word Sir!  Thanks for recoding my Skoda Columbus (Mib2 High) from Trafficmaster to INRIX and restoring TMC function.  It only took five minutes!  Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 1 month later...

TMC does NOT stand for TrafficMaster.  TMC (Traffic Message Channel) is the method used to deliver traffic updates over RDS, regardless of the service provider (TrafficMaster, INRIX, etc).

No idea about MIB1 maps, sorry.

We were very lucky with the MIB2 platforms that the map data already included both providers (although it was removed from the MIB2 Standard maps when they switched over to TomTom). Some other VAG navigation platforms (RNSE for example) were not so lucky.

Ah possible. On the thread it was said mib1 here but I wasn't totally clear whether mib1 standard or mib1 high. Back on the Seat side a new Audi map for mib1 has dropped as the youngsters say so I got them to test out the 14 TMC group whilst they were updating to 2023 maps. Yes with VCDS / OBDELEVEN that standard coding group fix works.. . as muttered on the thread.

Link here since I reckon some nifty map update can be made to breath new life into old mib1 maps as well as Inrix on these unit, mib1 map update here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-138#post-5050968

Confirmation that recoding 15 to 14 works here for Inrix on mib1:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-139#post-5051436

I pass on the Skoda map update procedure for mib1 but you can put the newer contents on a 16gb mib2 card... we had established that on the thread. Seat Mapcare for mib1 procedure is covered... Skoda I pass on but you can either way recode the TMC group from 15 to 14.

That's another Audi map that is interchangeable... we like that.

re reading I'd try the simple code change 15 to 14 first with a reboot.

The update does indeed work on a Discovery Media from this... badically its @MartiniB list extended on but not made available by VW / Skoda or Seat.

Screenshot_20240226-164810.thumb.png.16c540883b4f780b4f82ba93426b5c73.png

Edited by Tell

I just got the following message from Satnav Systems:

"INRIX have also stopped transmitting traffic data!

Best regards,

Hamid R. Ataei  

Executive Director

Satnav Systems"