Tyre suggestions

ManThatCan

There is now an EfficientGrip performance 2

But there has been a trend of making summer tyres more summer like (no advantage in almost overlapping with manufacturers new all season range), and will usually find the newer spec summer tyres can be poor in colder rain below +10c (and for much of UK rain is cold for 8+ months of the year)

I would strongly suggest getting all season tyres nowadays.  Goodyear have vector 4season Gen 3.  But also look at brand new Continental all season contact 2 (might not be available yet).  Have also heard good things regarding Falken AS210.

Edited by SurreyJohn

2 hours ago, ManThatCan said:

1.2 Yeti outdoor DSG. Always had GY Efficient grip. Anyone found anything better ?

What tyres are available can depend on the tyre size.

If you've got 16" rims, maybe look at a cheaper non-standard tyre size such as 215/65R16 instead of the standard 215/60R16.

My insurance company is quite good about alternative tyre sizes, as long as it doesn't increase the car's performance or is only one size different from standard. The 215/65R16 tyre size complies with both of those two criteria, although only one of the criteria is needed.

The Vredestein Quatrac tyre lasts slightly longer than even the long lasting Michelin CrossClimate 2. In one review, 43,000 miles was mentioned for the CrossClimate 2, but an even better 46,000 miles was mentioned for the Quatrac. The Quatrac is also much cheaper than the CrossClimate 2. In cold weather above freezing, the Quatrac has about a 5% improvement in wet grip, than the CrossClimate 2.

Although the Quatrac isn't quite as good as the CrossClimate 2 in the snow, they are both in a different league compared to summer tyres.

Vredestein Quatrac 215/65R16 98H (Euro label C B 71dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8008p202133/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_215_65_R16_98H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

Vredestein Quatrac 215/65R16 102V XL (Euro label B B 71dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8008p202132/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_215_65_R16_102V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

Edited by Carlston

19 hours ago, ManThatCan said:

1.2 Yeti outdoor DSG. Always had GY Efficient grip. Anyone found anything better ?

I had the same tyres as you but changed to the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons when time came to change. The Vector provide a slightly more comfortable ride and lower tyre noise at speed. Both tyres are excellent but the Vector seem to suit the Yeti perfectly.

We've also had Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons fitted to our 15 plate Yeti for the last 3 years and they are still going strong. As above, I can't fault them and find them more rounded (ha ha) than the Michelin Cross Climate 2 I have on our other car. Recommended .

Another Vector 4Seasons user here.

First put them on my old car, then onto FiL's Yeti, OH's Hyundai and just last month fitted a new set to my Superb.

All in I've driven about 50k miles in a car shod with these tyres and they are nothing short of excellent.

Another GY Efficient grip user here. Only had aged Champiron (not typo) to compare with but the GY's are vastly better in all sectors particularly road noise which can be a Yeti weak point.

Living in Spain I have no need of all season tyres nor am I particularly bothered about wet performance, other than for occasional screen washing the wipers only go on about half a dozen times a year and one of those is at the annual ITV (MOT)!

1 hour ago, KiNeL said:

Another GY Efficient grip user here. Only had aged Champiron (not typo) to compare with but the GY's are vastly better in all sectors particularly road noise which can be a Yeti weak point.

Living in Spain I have no need of all season tyres nor am I particularly bothered about wet performance, other than for occasional screen washing the wipers only go on about half a dozen times a year and one of those is at the annual ITV (MOT)!

Yes, I had GY Efficient Grip before the GY Vector All Seasons and they certainly are excellent in suppressing road noise. Much quieter than other tyres I had. The Vector All seasons are equally good at suppressing noise - purely subjective of course. Here in North Yorkshire I need All Season tyres because of winter conditions.

Put Michelin Cross Climate 2 on our Yeti about three years ago, still going strong 36K miles later. Had them on my Octavia and they are on my Karoq now. Haen't found better tyres yet. 

So you have a few options. See what the best you can get it is. 

I'm on my third set of Michelin Cross Climate and have been pleased with them. I'm happy with the grip summer and winter (although down here on the South Coast not had to use them in snow) , they seem pretty quiet for tyre noise and prices seem reasonable - even better for me as I opted for the 16" wheels when I bought the car and it saves around £30 a tyre compared to the 17" last time I looked.

Must admit I was never a fan of the GY EG tyres, maybe scottish roads as they seemed ok on the autobahn/autostrada surfaces,) but they were so, so noisey (road noise) they got binned early.

😟

If anyone is on a budget at the moment and needs new tyres, try these:-

Debica Presto UHP, made at the Goodyear factory.

I fitted these earlier in the year to our Volvo, as I was changing wheel size (and didn't want to waste £7-800 if the ride was ruined). I genuinely can't tell the difference compared to the premium brands I always fit. Highly recommended.

7 hours ago, Prezafab said:

If anyone is on a budget at the moment and needs new tyres, try the Debica Presto UHP

The Debica Presto UHP2 was tested in the following tyre review, and didn't come anywhere near the winning Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2.

The Goodyear lasted 51,340 miles, whereas the Debica only lasted 30,600 miles.

However, it's best to use all-season tyres in the UK if you use the same tyres all year round.

2022 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Auto-Bild-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Edited by Carlston

You are missing the point I was making.

Everyone has a preference for particular premium tyres. I always fit Continental, Michelin or Goodyear.

My point was that, from personal experience, you can get a very good tyre that, unless you enjoy track days in the Yeti or want to eke out every mile, they will do you very well.

The Debicas cost £288 for 4 (235/45/18). The above brands were £670+. In real life (the Volvo has 290bhp), they've been unbelievably good value for money. They grip well wet or dry, ride very well, and are quiet. I will go back to my winter Michelins (bought last year) on smaller wheels in November, that cost £530.

My point was about value for money, rather than the best tyre on paper. (I still say Vector 4 Seasons are good on the Yeti!)

1 minute ago, Prezafab said:

My point was that, from personal experience, you can get a very good tyre that, unless you enjoy track days in the Yeti.

None of the tyres in that review are suitable for track days.

Within one or two laps they would overheat, including the test winning Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2.

Most owners don't take their Yeti around a race track. 

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

The Debica Presto UHP2 was tested in the following tyre review, and didn't come anywhere near the winning Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2.

The Goodyear lasted 51,340 miles, whereas the Debica only lasted 30,600 miles.

However, it's best to use all-season tyres in the UK if you use the same tyres all year round.

2022 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Auto-Bild-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Thanks for posting that test...   I have the Falken 310s on my Swift and reckon they are pretty good...   Which that test backs up. 

• Like 1

So, you "pays your money and takes your choice". I'm on my 106th car now (7th Yeti) and it's good to share what actually works from personal experience.

• Like 1