Pi$$ED OFF

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Was there a coming together or did you manage to brake .

A coming together. 

A new front wing and wheel, bonnet and front passenger door will need to be sorted out and possibly resprayed and the other scratches will probably be able to be polished out. Front spoiler will need to be checked and resprayed or polished out. 

Front headlight will need to be checked and calibrated. 

He did more damage to his damned Ferrari than mine. 

That'll teach him to check his mirror before maneuvering. 

20230719_192217.jpg

20230719_192245.jpg

20230719_193656.jpg

20230719_200405.jpg

• Sad 3

It's hard to see on the door, but there's a dent under the mirror I think that the door may not be as bad as first thought and maybe able to be pulled and finished, the bonnet maybe as well, the wing will be new.

I suspect that the wheel will be too. 

Edited by TheWanderer

It might be my vision but it looks like you were overtaking 2 vehicles approaching a (blind) bend to the left!

Less blind once in the right hand lane but by then you were committed, it would have been a lot more than a few scratches had there been a vehicle coming the other way.

Come to think of it aside from not using his mirrors although I suspect you were in his blind spot he had even less visibility than you did from the RH lane.

Its like there was an attraction between the two vehicles, perhaps its fate, maybe you deserve each other!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I keep watching it over and over again, cant see any indication from him but he had already crossed the white line before you passed him.

I guess all accidents are avoidable in hindsight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

cant see any indication from him

'cause there was no signal from him...

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

but he had already crossed the white line before you passed him

@second 14->15 @TheWanderer already started the takeover, @15->16 his car is entirely on the other side of the road, while @second 15 the Ferrari's right wheels didn't cross the mid-line yet, he starts clearly moving @16->17

AFAIK a driver is forbidden to start an overtake while being overtaken... 

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

overtaking 2 vehicles approaching a (blind) bend to the left!

Why don't we leave those aspects to the road authorities that decided there's no need for a continuous line on that segment? 

7 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I suspect that the wheel will be too. 

Sure, by the looks of it, that will need replacing too.

Just entering the NSL of 60 mph and raring to go. 

@32 mph before leaving the restricted speed area, but maybe that was 40 mph???

Obvious hopefully who was at fault and driving dangerously and without due care and attention.

That is why i have no dash cam.   'Hoist by one's own petard.'

Bl00dy dangerous overtake there to think you could accelerate past both vehicles and someone might not come in the opposite direction having done the same thing. IMHO. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

The view is deceptive that section is about ⅔ mile long I wasn't even a ¼ way up and there's plenty of space.  And I still had plenty of power available to complete the overtake safely. 

• Like 1

The Camper Van / Light Commercial had just entered the NSL and will have likely accelerated to 50-60 mph as many do and your view as to if there were cyclists or walkers on the verge was likely limited.

So you were wanting to accelerate from 30 to maybe 70 or 80 mph to get the pass in. 

The red car in front if they had been a bit further back and had looked and seen and indicated was more likely to do a safe pass than you. IMHO.

You are supposed to anticipate, drive with due care and attention. Expect the unexpected, but the red car going for was pretty much certain, 

just like a red vRS behind going for it is just 'normal' even when unsafe to do, IME.

The Insurers will decide anyway. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

@Breezy_Peteyes I often go for it where I know I have the power so speed to get on past vehicles or have a space to get back in without hitting someone or causing anyone to take emergency action.   Just into a NSL and with a fast car in front of me I asses if they are going to go first and then if passing expect the plonker to maybe do just like that driver did.  It's a daily thing in the country side IME.  The OP does not think they were in no way to blame do they? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toot said:

The Camper Van / Light Commercial had just entered the NSL and will have likely accelerated to 50-60 mph as many do and your view as to if there were cyclists or walkers on the verge was likely limited.

So you were wanting to accelerate from 30 to maybe 70 or 80 mph to get the pass in. 

The red car in front if they had been a bit further back and had looked and seen and indicated was more likely to do a safe pass than you. IMHO.

You are supposed to anticipate, drive with due care and attention. Expect the unexpected, but the red car going for was pretty much certain, 

just like a red vRS behind going for it is just 'normal' even when unsafe to do, IME.

The Insurers will decide anyway. 

It all depends on how well anyone knows that road, having pulled out and seeing what is ahead, you have a split second to decide if its safe to back out of the overtake or to press on. Personally if it was a road I didn't know, I'd be happy sit behind and follow them, but each to their own ideas.

• Like 4

That's why you should always give plenty of indication before changing lane, so even if you don't see the person you are going to hit at least they will see your intentions and be able to take avoiding action.

If it had been a motorcyclist overtaking, the Ferrari driver could have killed him.

A 1 year ban and a court order to retake his driving test should be the absolute minimum for the Ferrari driver, and compensation for the victim.

The Ferrari driver wouldn't be able to claim that the OP was making a dangerous overtake, because that was exactly what he was trying to do.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, toot said:

@Breezy_Peteyes I often go for it where I know I have the power so speed to get on past vehicles or have a space to get back in without hitting someone or causing anyone to take emergency action.   Just into a NSL and with a fast car in front of me I asses if they are going to go first and then if passing expect the plonker to maybe do just like that driver did.  It's a daily thing in the country side IME.  The OP does not think they were in no way to blame do they? 

I mostly agree with @toot on this one. The Ferrari is obviously the one to blame for causing the collision, no blinker and didn't check his mirror enough while moving over.

But boy, would I be blaming myself in this situation if I was in the red Skoda. The overtake is totally unnecessary to begin with, there's an intersection 0.7 miles up where you'll end up standing anyway, and the other cars could even have turned the other direction in that intersection.

image.thumb.png.491fa605e43a33183d169c9df222a0c0.png

3 hours ago, SkOmk4 said:

'cause there was no signal from him...

Yes that is what I meant, my bad choice of wording, I have spoken very little English for 19 years.

3 hours ago, SkOmk4 said:

Why don't we leave those aspects to the road authorities that decided there's no need for a continuous line on that segment? 

Good point.

2 hours ago, toot said:

Expect the unexpected, but the red car going for was pretty much certain, 

A combination of two impatient drivers, I know of what I speak cos I is one!

A Ferrari driver doing exactly what most would expect of them and which they probably feel obliged to do in a perverse manner.

A VRS driver wanting to show a Ferrari driver that their indulgence was wasted.

I have been both those people (not with a Ferrari) and consider myself lucky to have not crossed paths with a clone of myself.

It is rarely safe to overtake in on UK roads in a sweeping left had bend especially on narrow country roads like that, on a wider road elevated above the surroundings without trees obscuring the sight lines, all the elements lacking in that video, you can sit back a little and look ahead to the left of the vehicle in front before deciding to take a little look which is not so risky on a wide road but there will have been a considerable blind spot.

Equally there is a blind spot for the Ferrari driver to not see a car that has whipped out between the mirror, signal (not) manouevre.

32 minutes ago, toot said:

The OP does not think they were in no way to blame do they? 

It would appear not, I was never to blame in my then mind for any of the accidents I was involved in when I drov like the roads were my personal racetrack, indeed the insurance companies agreed with me but in hindsight every one was avoidable if I had been thinking, its only from the benefit of experiences like that that I became a safer driver, I see people making the same hasty mistakes that I did and nearly coming a cropper, several times coming face to face with an oncoming overtaker who has swooped out dramatically from tailgating the car in front as the French love to do, I have reacted to and avoided situations that when I reflected afterwards concluded I would have in the past hjad an accident and ergo been partly responsable.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The Ferrari driver wouldn't be able to claim that the OP was making a dangerous overtake, because that was exactly what he was trying to do.

Indeed which is why I said somewhat provocatively

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

maybe you deserve each other!

The Ferrari driver would have had even less of a view ahead and I suggest that he may in fact have been slowly edging out to see if it was safe to overtake after doing a mirror check so he would have been looking intently ahead, on a sweeping left hander where there is no solid white line that is the prudent thing to do, I dont think signalling would be appropriate in those circumstances.

My vision is not good but in the final half second of the video clip I'm pretty sure that I can see an oncoming vehicle coming into view, it did seem rather strange that the video was terminated at that point, what do others see?

Perhaps the OP will post a longer clip to disabuse the suggestion.

3 hours ago, toot said:

Having looked yet again its surprising how much detail is there which is missed because we were looking for something else.

The Ferrari driver was quite some way back from the campervan so full marks for that, I speculate that he was edging out slowly to see if the road ahead was clear and a safe overtake was on the cards when he crossed into the space about to be taken up by a rapidly accelerating VRS hoping to overtake 2 vehicles.

I agree that the Ferrari driver was more likely to do a safe overtake than the vehicle behind but was he in fact overtaking? - What do others see/think.

Edited by J.R.

Ferrari was untaxed and being driven while under a SORN declaration!!!!!

The good news is he is unlikely to dispute your claim.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Ferrari was untaxed and being driven while under a SORN declaration!!!!!

The good news is he is unlikely to dispute your claim.

You're correct about its tax status and the SORN statement, however, that does not actually mean that is the real situation. When I went to Mansfield to collect my  current car, I had to tax it before I could drive it home. I paid the tax on line and it was a few days later before the DVLA updated the status of it so any police car could have pulled me over if they had their ANPR cameras switched on. All I had to prove that it was taxed was the online receipt email on my phone.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 2