Superb Wagon 4x4 2.0tsi 272 - Brisk Bambino Bakkie

On 27/07/2023 at 08:03, Esseesse200 said:

h&r arb kit next and super pro bottom arms. Was the arb east to fit, did you have to drop the subframe. I also have a Racingline subframe alignment kit to fit so will probs do at same time

Pic for reference when fitting roll bars. New bottom arms from super pro fitted at same time. 

7f3bb234-85be-40fc-a675-be8a48816a04.jpeg

• Love it! 1

• 2 months later...

Small update on the Brisk Bambino Bakkie build!

Noticed a small issue with the ACC, where the speed was constantly changing and power was being cut (which led to a ridiculously high fuel consumption; 8-9L/100km on a piece of highway that was previously done with 5.5-6L/100km). The guys at Tuning Service Huizen looked at it and found a small error in the registration of the gas pedal sensor/positioning and the amount of torque linked to that positioning, did some magic there and now back to enjoying all the Superb's power!

Also had a few modifications done to the electronics of the car, so now the DCC slider has been activated, XDS setting stronger/hard, S3 4motion/quattro setting (more rear-wheel drive oriented), CarPlay navigation and the map in the VC can work simultaneously, update on the Columbus built to 1440 and some other knickknacks here and there. 

I have ordered some new brakes and surrounding ancillaries to go on the car early November. Will update again once that is done!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awesam said:

HI, how did you get the DCC slider mod done?

I'm from the Netherlands and got it done locally by someone with VAG knowledge and multiple scanner tools (OBD11, VCDS etc.), he has some connections around the globe so I could check with him if he can recommend someone in the UK?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Awesam said:

HI, how did you get the DCC slider mod done?

Just search on the forum, there's a topic about that, if I remember well. ;) 

On 12/10/2023 at 09:52, Awesam said:

If there is a possbility that he could do it remotely that would be great aswell!  I have OBD11 and VCDS.

It’s still in my pipework to do. Just gotta fit the dcc first!

It can only be done with odis or vcp sadly 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As promised, an update on the front brake upgrade. The front pads were up for replacement, and the discs were coming soon so I decided to sell this opportunity to the misses to also upgrade the pads and discs. And while we're at it, why not also brake lines and oil, right?

After quite a bit of a search for parts, and dealing with some availability (not wanting to pay outrageous import and handling fees if I were to buy parts from the UK, and get them in NL), I landed on a nice combination of brands:

- Tarox Strada Pads

- Zimmerman Z-sport discs (could barely contain myself, but decided with all the holidays coming up not to splurge and go for the 2-part discs)

- Goodridge braided lines

- Goodridge Performance Brake Fluid

All in all, I think money very much well spent! The brake pedal feel stiffer, the bite of the brakes is much firmer and more direct and overall feel of the brakes has just improved. Haven't had it in real extreme circumstances (repetitive hard braking) yet, but so far the brakes just give more confidence than OEM that they are going to stop and stop every time. Very happy with this upgrade! 

I also like the looks of these drilled discs, makes them look more purposeful and another hint of the performance potential of the car. I am doubting if I should paint the callipers, to make the whole set-up look a bit more sporty. But I do like the understated sleeper look of the car, and with a new set of aftermarket wheels going on in the spring, painted brake callipers might be a bit much... 

Now first get the winter tires sorted, and then a winter browsing for the summer wheel upgrade! (Any ideas? Preferably would go lighter than the OEM 19x8 Vegas I'm currently running, nearly 14kgs each...)

And as they say, a picture speaks a thousand words, so hereby:

Old vs. New

IMG_7370.thumb.jpg.3b2409bebe2e52e6ee0d1f3a1b4902e5.jpg

Before bedding in:

IMG_7371.thumb.jpg.82695877fb52eb6d6df9c78a8bb7a83e.jpg

After bedding in:

IMG_7376.thumb.jpg.4714d01baa0678de6a132876882c4898.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

"Now first get the winter tires sorted, and then a winter browsing for the summer wheel upgrade! (Any ideas? Preferably would go lighter than the OEM 19x8 Vegas I'm currently running, nearly 14kgs each...)"

Racingline R360 19 x 8.5J...10.7 kgs each....??

On 22/11/2023 at 15:15, Fr13ndlyGhost said:

As promised, an update on the front brake upgrade. The front pads were up for replacement, and the discs were coming soon so I decided to sell this opportunity to the misses to also upgrade the pads and discs. And while we're at it, why not also brake lines and oil, right?

After quite a bit of a search for parts, and dealing with some availability (not wanting to pay outrageous import and handling fees if I were to buy parts from the UK, and get them in NL), I landed on a nice combination of brands:

- Tarox Strada Pads

- Zimmerman Z-sport discs (could barely contain myself, but decided with all the holidays coming up not to splurge and go for the 2-part discs)

- Goodridge braided lines

- Goodridge Performance Brake Fluid

All in all, I think money very much well spent! The brake pedal feel stiffer, the bite of the brakes is much firmer and more direct and overall feel of the brakes has just improved. Haven't had it in real extreme circumstances (repetitive hard braking) yet, but so far the brakes just give more confidence than OEM that they are going to stop and stop every time. Very happy with this upgrade! 

I also like the looks of these drilled discs, makes them look more purposeful and another hint of the performance potential of the car. I am doubting if I should paint the callipers, to make the whole set-up look a bit more sporty. But I do like the understated sleeper look of the car, and with a new set of aftermarket wheels going on in the spring, painted brake callipers might be a bit much... 

Now first get the winter tires sorted, and then a winter browsing for the summer wheel upgrade! (Any ideas? Preferably would go lighter than the OEM 19x8 Vegas I'm currently running, nearly 14kgs each...)

And as they say, a picture speaks a thousand words, so hereby:

Old vs. New

IMG_7370.thumb.jpg.3b2409bebe2e52e6ee0d1f3a1b4902e5.jpg

Before bedding in:

IMG_7371.thumb.jpg.82695877fb52eb6d6df9c78a8bb7a83e.jpg

After bedding in:

IMG_7376.thumb.jpg.4714d01baa0678de6a132876882c4898.jpg

Glad the upgrades went well, look like they will be solid upgrades to the beast.

I went with EBC Blue pads, Brembo HC painted discs, Hel hoses, ATE SL6 fluid.

Pedal feels good, don't know what's wrong with the fronts, it feels like the left caliper has an issue as it feels like it grinds when braking and they are noisy squealing when you brake. Not impressed, may try ATE ceramic.

These wheels look great in real life, similar to those on some of the 23 RS3. Quality is very good on them and they are light.

On 11/10/2023 at 13:05, Fr13ndlyGhost said:

The guys at Tuning Service Huizen looked at it and found a small error in the registration of the gas pedal sensor/positioning and the amount of torque linked to that positioning, did some magic there and now back to enjoying all the Superb's power!

Perhaps it might be worthwhile getting a Racechip XLR pedal box?

On 22/11/2023 at 17:59, coppertop said:

"Now first get the winter tires sorted, and then a winter browsing for the summer wheel upgrade! (Any ideas? Preferably would go lighter than the OEM 19x8 Vegas I'm currently running, nearly 14kgs each...)"

Racingline R360 19 x 8.5J...10.7 kgs each....??

Good suggestion! But in that kind of design, the Motec MCR2 Ultra-light are offered at 8.9kg in the same specs(and 9.3kg for the 38ET), so that would have my preference then. 

17 hours ago, numskull said:

Perhaps it might be worthwhile getting a Racechip XLR pedal box?

Maybe something in the future indeed. For now quite happy with the pedal feel, with the tuning and I have had the first "dead" part throttle coded out as well.

And the missus also drives the car, and she previously disliked the throttle happy cars we had. So I may just forgo on the pedal box...

On 23/11/2023 at 17:44, Bobodaclown said:

Glad the upgrades went well, look like they will be solid upgrades to the beast.

I went with EBC Blue pads, Brembo HC painted discs, Hel hoses, ATE SL6 fluid.

Pedal feels good, don't know what's wrong with the fronts, it feels like the left caliper has an issue as it feels like it grinds when braking and they are noisy squealing when you brake. Not impressed, may try ATE ceramic.

These wheels look great in real life, similar to those on some of the 23 RS3. Quality is very good on them and they are light.

I got ATE coated discs and ATE Ceramic pads and they are silent. Like the OEMs. 

Dust is still there, just a lighter shade, grey instead of black. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

I got ATE coated discs and ATE Ceramic pads and they are silent. Like the OEMs. 

Dust is still there, just a lighter shade, grey instead of black. 

Thanks Kete, that's great to know. I read you had them on this or another thread which peaked my interest and have now heard good things from others as well.

I need to go to the workshop and have them take a look as something isn't right or perhaps they are just noisy on both counts.

EBC have a fair amount of dust. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobodaclown said:

Thanks Kete, that's great to know. I read you had them on this or another thread which peaked my interest and have now heard good things from others as well.

I need to go to the workshop and have them take a look as something isn't right or perhaps they are just noisy on both counts.

EBC have a fair amount of dust. 

@KeteCantek @Bobodaclown haven't really been able to check for the dust, have yet to wash the car since the install of the brakes.... Oops! Will keep an eye on it, for ****s 'n giggles ;)

• 4 months later...

I’ve had them under the car for a while now, but forgot to post. The new summer setup:

IMG_7780.thumb.jpeg.5fec634ed65f0220234049e46cae4c81.jpeg

They are Japan Racing SL01, in 19x8.5 ET 33. They’re flow formed, so quite a bit lighter than the stock Vega’s (14,5kg), weighing in at just under 10kg. So a good 4kg improvement of unsprung weight. Not to mention the looks! 😍

IMG_7943.thumb.jpeg.a89476ac91bdbab876496b83f1cf620a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

@rcblur69 not as much as with previous cars to be honest, I'm thinking it has to do something with the DCC compensating for comfort and everything. But whenever I buy stuff for the car, whether it's maintenance or straight up modding I always try to improve on the OEM stuff. So the improved weight and rotating mass is another piece to the puzzle ;)

Still good to know.

Mine is a 272 sportline hatch but without DCC. It’s been covered a lot before but it’s pretty underdamped as standard. So hoping when I get around to some lighter wheels, they have a decent impact given my setup. Should be able to lose 4kg per corner.

On my previous car, a 2013 Focus ST wagon with ST Suspension XTA coilovers the difference was night and day. And that was with good ST shock absorbers and "only" 3kg difference between the 18inch OEM wheels to my 18inch Enkei summer wheels. So I assume that an even larger difference in weight and worse shock absorbers will definitely have a massive positive impact. 

And for that 4kg per corner improvement, there are quite a few options; the Japan Racing SL01 or SL02, a few Motec options and the Racingline R360 are all between 9.5 and 10kg each for 19x8ish size. 

Again, that’s great to know.

There is surprisingly little out there in terms of qualitative opinions on wheel weight. Lots of people say they can’t feel a difference, but I find I’m quite sensitive to these kinds of things. And lots of people (probably the ones that can’t feel it) are focused on losing 0.1s 0-60, which I’m not bothered about.

I’ll be after some better dampers at some point as well.