Skoda Fabia Engine Oil Leak (2017 1.0 TSI 110 Monte Carlo)

Last Saturday night, I noticed oil on my driveway (rainbow colour) also when I visited my local supermarket oil also in the car park by where I had parked, once I got home and car had cooled down, I checked engine oil level and it's low. The oil which i mopped up was leaking from the cambelt area. I've had no running issue, overheating or warning lights. I haven't driven the car this past week and it's booked in with Skoda next week.

I've come across this same problem from other Skoda owners, including VAG brands VW, Seat and Audi. Please can someone tell me what is the common cause of this leak and the most likely culprit? 

1690145742635.jpg

1690145742638.jpg

I don't want to panic you, but it sounds a lot like one of the cam shaft variable pulleys is "coming apart" due to bolts slackening off, so try hard not to use this car and get it taken to a workshop that understands these engines.

To explain more, the medium used to vary the cam shaft timing is the pressurised engine oil - and it is that that will be leaking out from between the slackened off fixing bolts - this is yet another VW Group disgrace!

Good Luck and please keep us posted on progress.

Edit:- sorry, I see that you know about this, so hopefully it gets fixed before things fall apart and cause damage to that engine.

Edited by rum4mo

Deleted, misunderstanding, thought it was a cam chain.

Edited by J.R.

2 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I don't want to panic you, but it sounds a lot like one of the cam shaft variable pulleys is "coming apart" due to bolts slackening off, so try hard not to use this car and get it taken to a workshop that understands these engines.

To explain more, the medium used to vary the cam shaft timing is the pressurised engine oil - and it is that that will be leaking out from between the slackened off fixing bolts - this is yet another VW Group disgrace!

^^This

Yes its a known issue and IIRC there may be an official Tech bulletin issued so in that case the repair should be free. Requires new cam phaser pulley(s) and new cambelt fitting as well as a clean up.

14 hours ago, wilson-uk-85 said:

Safety made the 6.5 mile journey to the skoda dealer and my cars now with them. 

That must be the best way of getting this fixed, so you should be in a position to get help from Skoda UK, to cover the costs or most of the costs to correct for the mess that their supplier created!

8 hours ago, rum4mo said:

That must be the best way of getting this fixed, so you should be in a position to get help from Skoda UK, to cover the costs or most of the costs to correct for the mess that their supplier created!

You were spot on about the cause of the oil leak and this is what the Skoda technician found, slack bolts. The cambelt was all intact but a whole new kit is being fitted due to oil contamination. I have extended warranty but the dealer and service department have managed to get the cambelt also thrown in for free. The dealer also said this is a known issue also on Audi, Seat & VW. I learnt too the water pump is electronic unlike my previous Renault Clio which was timing belt driven. 

1690927106578.jpg

I'd think that there will be a couple of water pumps, the one covering the bulk of the coolant moving, which has its own small grooved/toothed belt and is driven on the rear of one of the cam shafts and located within/beside the coolant distribution or management bits and bobs, and an electric water pump which also operates as a "run on" pump to keep coolant circulating are the areas that get very hot, after the ignition is switched off.

• 4 months later...

Just had the exact same issue with my 2017 Fabia colour edition- took it to my local skoda retailer and mentioned what I thought the issue was, they got back and told me it was that, but when I brought up about it being a known issue and whether the price would be reimbursable at all they denied all knowledge. £600 later the work has all been done and I've now talked to someone from Skoda UK, who said my car isn't "due a recall" and also denied any such thing about this being a known issue- so I don't know what to do now. My car's only done 35k miles 😞

• Sad 1

Skoda UK are being nasty cheating bar stewards, ask this question again, this time via recorded/tracked snail mail, and when they give the same answer in print, seek further advice - as well as shaming them publicly.

Edit:- the only alternative to them being nasty cheating bar stewards, might be that Skoda engine plant has a bigger problem than they initially thought concerning this version of this pulley - it would have handy if you had asked for the removed pulley assembly to be returned to you - as evidence.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mattn00b said:

Just had the exact same issue with my 2017 Fabia colour edition- took it to my local skoda retailer and mentioned what I thought the issue was, they got back and told me it was that, but when I brought up about it being a known issue and whether the price would be reimbursable at all they denied all knowledge. £600 later the work has all been done and I've now talked to someone from Skoda UK, who said my car isn't "due a recall" and also denied any such thing about this being a known issue- so I don't know what to do now. My car's only done 35k miles 😞

@Mattn00b are you able to post your engine code? you can find it on your V5 document (four letters in front of engine number)

Edited by Warrior193
correction

22 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Skoda UK are being nasty cheating bar stewards, ask this question again, this time via recorded/tracked snail mail, and when they give the same answer in print, seek further advice - as well as shaming them publicly.

Edit:- the only alternative to them being nasty cheating bar stewards, might be that Skoda engine plant has a bigger problem than they initially thought concerning this version of this pulley - it would have handy if you had asked for the removed pulley assembly to be returned to you - as evidence.

The talk I had with them was over a live chat, and I got emailed the transcript after so would that count? And as far as I know it was just the belt they changed due to oil contamination.

22 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

@Mattn00b are you able to post your engine code? you can find it on your V5 document (four letters in front of engine number)

Still trying to look for my V5 but I've got the VIN if that helps🤣

You will not have got passed these that are the Gate Keepers. 

You want a Skoda UK Resolution Manager who are just as Deaf, Dumb and Blind selectively and never know anything because they act using the same Hot Desk system, 

sign out at the end of sift and memory wiped.  The VW Group way.

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8.jpg.288aa0aeed8adf09a39271693b8f0850.jpg

41 minutes ago, Mattn00b said:

The talk I had with them was over a live chat, and I got emailed the transcript after so would that count? And as far as I know it was just the belt they changed due to oil contamination.

Still trying to look for my V5 but I've got the VIN if that helps🤣

One easy way to find your car's engine code is to stuff your reg number into Opie Oils website - and possibly some others.

• Like 2

I have extended warranty all component cover and VW group accepted liability as a known issue with these engines (I think it was also the influence of the service advisor). I only had to pay £100 excess and £120 for new timing belt kit, £220 not worst car bill.

• Like 1