Tracking & alignment

2 minutes ago, MunsterScot said:

I've got a 2017 2.0 TDi 190Bhp Combi and run 2.5 bar on all corners as usually there is only two people in the car.  Do you think increasing the rears to 2.8 bar might reduce the issue I'm getting with wear / cupping on the inside edge of the rears?

I have had 3 sets of tyres on mine and never had the rear inside wear until Now. Either the Tyre pressures have not been correct or changing the shocks have knocked it off. So if yours is wearing also get the suspension and alignment checked would be my advice

21 hours ago, Carlston said:

On the Superb MK3 280HP, the speed rating of the tyres will be either W (168mph) or Y (186mph) unless they are winter rated where the speed rating might only be V (150mph).

So I wouldn't call the national speed limit (for dual carriageways) of 70mph fast in relation to the speed capability of the tyres.

150mph on the German autobahn and the tyres are starting to get closer to their design limit, but 70mph really isn't fast for a W/Y speed rated tyre.

21 hours ago, Carlston said:

On the Superb MK3 280HP, the speed rating of the tyres will be either W (168mph) or Y (186mph) unless they are winter rated where the speed rating might only be V (150mph).

So I wouldn't call the national speed limit (for dual carriageways) of 70mph fast in relation to the speed capability of the tyres.

150mph on the German autobahn and the tyres are starting to get closer to their design limit, but 70mph really isn't fast for a W/Y speed rated tyre.

I’m aware of tyre speed ratings but  70/80 mph for 4 hours, two up with 250kg of luggage and the kitchen sink in the back, I’ll be sticking with my settings. Doing this, plus rotating the tyres on our owned vehicles since 2001, has returned life mileages of 35-40k.
In fact, our Peugeot 604ti which we had in the mid ‘80’s, had Michelin TRX tyres fitted from new, covered 50k before I changed them.

@Donweather

It was a four wheel laser alignment where it measures all the angles.  So I'd say the camber on the rears was checked.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, small adjustment made on the rear drivers side. 

I think when I replace them (next few days) I'll try rotating tyres periodically as mentioned earlier in the thread to see if that helps.  The current set had done approx. 32k miles before I noticed the rumble noise starting. 

• 6 months later...

i have had the same  issue,  thought my rear wheels needed balanced,  as was getting vibration for a few weeks , then the  was pressure loss so thought i had a puncture,  when to get it sorted and ended up getting  two new tyres,  as the photo shows the result of  why,

was told i need  to get rear wheels tracked.  which i have to done,

would the tracked  cause the issue of the photo,

also has the rear springs replace by skoda   in Jan 2023 by a skoda dealership and one went bang,  

these are the same tyres  that was on at the time,  but  nothing was said when the MOT was one in July

Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI SE L Executive Estate 5dr Diesel DSG Euro 6 (s/s) (150 ps)

20240422_162910.jpg

12 hours ago, staituk said:

i have had the same  issue,  thought my rear wheels needed balanced,  as was getting vibration for a few weeks , then the  was pressure loss so thought i had a puncture,  when to get it sorted and ended up getting  two new tyres,  as the photo shows the result of  why,

was told i need  to get rear wheels tracked.  which i have to done,

would the tracked  cause the issue of the photo,

also has the rear springs replace by skoda   in Jan 2023 by a skoda dealership and one went bang,  

these are the same tyres  that was on at the time,  but  nothing was said when the MOT was one in July

Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI SE L Executive Estate 5dr Diesel DSG Euro 6 (s/s) (150 ps)

20240422_162910.jpg

It looks like that cheap Chinese Davanti tyre isn't fully seated on the rim. The tyre fitter was really incompetent not to have noticed that.

When a tyre fitter fits a tyre to a rim, he should inflate the tyre until the tyre's beads are fully seated on the rim. If he is having difficulty fully seating the tyre's beads, he should remove the tyre from the rim and apply more tyre lubricant to the tyre's beads...and then try again to fully seat the tyre's beads to the rim.

The problem may be that the cheap low quality Chinese tyre isn't fit for purpose...which may have contributed to the tyre fitters difficulty in fully seating the tyre's beads to the rim.

If the tyre fitter couldn't seat the tyre's beads fully to the rim, he should have rejected that tyre and chosen another tyre to fit.

Is the wear the same around the full circumference of the tyre?

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Serious amount of weights on both sides of that rim so likely the tyre fitter was incompetent!

That said, that looks like tyre delamination to me rather than a tracking issue. The perils of a cheap tyre.

• Like 1

Unless you people can see something that I cannot the inner tyre bead is fitted correctly and from the limited view I can see only one weight on the inner rim and can not see the outer rim at all.

If you want to see an incompetent tyre fitter then watch me struggling with my 4 new tyres and my manual tyre changer and an unsuccessful modification to use a duckbill removal/refitting head like the pro machines use, I did not realise that on these alloys there is not a well for the inner bead like there is on the outer rim (it just tapers to the outer well) and that the inner bead must be broken progressively all the way around the rim, outer bead can be broken in the normal one shot way.

The tyre wear looks like typical IRS negative camber wear exacerbated by sagging springs and/or carrying heavy loads.

The tyre looks like the result of driving with a vibration for weeks, i cannot see any sign of incorrect fitting either. Modern wheel balancing machine tell the operator what weights and precisely where to put them. Then they spin it again to check.

If you have had the alignment checked and a new tyre it should now be fine

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Unless you people can see something that I cannot the inner tyre bead is fitted correctly and from the limited view I can see only one weight on the inner rim and can not see the outer rim at all.

I can see one near the Spokes opposite the one on the nearside (as pictured) of the rim?

Yes I can see one as well but not serious amounts of weights on both sides, maybe he meant on both sides of the inner rim (as photographed) but I cant see them, I can see some residue of the double sided tape from previous weights.

The bead is seated on the rim to my eyes, there seems to be a lot of imaginative speculation for what is quite normal (abnormal) rear tyre wear!

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The bead is seated on the rim to my eyes, there seems to be a lot of imaginative speculation for what is quite normal (abnormal) rear tyre wear!

You can easily see (to a trained eye) that the tyre isn't fully seated at the top where it says DAVANTI. It's probably why the tyre has overheated at that point (ie. localized overheating) and destroyed the tyre. It's nothing to do with incorrect tracking, and also explains why the tyre didn't feel balanced and was losing air pressure.

Because the tyre's beads aren't fully seated, the outside of the tyre is no longer round...which is why the tyre has suffered localized overheating...and the resultant delamination at that point. No amount of adding weights will correct the problem of an out of round tyre. Because balancing a wheel with weights, you need to make sure the outside of the tyre is round...by making sure the tyre's beads are fully seated on the rim.

Edited by Carlston

Four wheel alignment is what you need if having the rear tracking adjusted (ideal to have four wheel done when doing front too).  The challenge is finding someone competent at doing it!

6 minutes ago, MrRich said:

Four wheel alignment is what you need if having the rear tracking adjusted (ideal to have four wheel done when doing front too).  The challenge is finding someone competent at doing it!

There's a serious problem of an out of round tyre, caused by the tyre's beads not being fully seated on the rim.

This fundamental problem needs to be addressed first.

There might not be any problem with the tracking.

• Like 1