Compairing MK3 to MK4

What is your thoughts about these theme?

I'm still not amazed about the new MK4  in terms of design. I don't think theire is much diferences  between them on the front, the back reminds me of opel insignia . The interior is almost the same as the octavia .

I don't care that much around design.

My first question would be around the suspension - what VW is saying about DCC Pro/Plus sounds like quite an upgrade.

What i like:

- shift by wire (i'm too lazy to put car in P after turning off the engine ;) )

- mild hybrid for 1.5

- HUD

Besides that compared to many other new generations - it does not really seem like they did too much cost cutting (which is like industry standard).

Until we've seen one in the flesh, had a decent drive in one and seen the exact specification of each model it's hard to say, some will like it others won't (same for most things in life).

I agree the front does look very similar to the 2019 facelift model from what I've seen up until now.  

The fact that they have retained some physical buttons below the screen is a big plus.  

I had a Mk4 Octy vRS as a loaner and the screen-centric heating and other basic controls drove me mad.  

• Like 1

Interested to see how the suspension is compared to Mk3 - hope it isn’t under damped (IMO - don’t get mad at me).

Don’t care about the lower end powertrains only the 265hp motor - doubt it’ll be as good as the 280/272.

Agreed - on the outside it looks like a facelift of the current mk3 facelift!!

I am however excited/keen on the following:-

- DCC Pro/Plus.  It uses two valves per shock, for better response rates.

- New Smart Dials

- New Interior dash, although the screen is a bit too big and potentially obstructs the view looking out.

• 1 month later...

There's something not quite right about the styling....

I don't like the way the front bumper curves inwards, making the front wheel arches looking like they're wider than they should be and added as an afterthought.

And the front grille looks too vertical and like the front of a bus!

image.png.887b6b5c017eb557e0f4d0cae4d3e903.png

mk3 looks better:

image.png.974bfdc4db818e5da53ac52a1a5cd2cd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gsf600y said:

the front grille looks too vertical and like the front of a bus!

It may also be a consequence of safety norms in case of accident with pedestrian. 
Design constraints on front bumpers must integrate knees average height. Indeed front bumper height has already been modified theses last years because injuries on knees are very complicated to treat. Maybe safety norms trend to push even further this point. A flat surface enable better energy dispatching…

On 11/11/2023 at 13:28, komoornik said:

- shift by wire (i'm too lazy to put car in P after turning off the engine ;) )

The new shift by wire setup is terrible! The actual selector unit itself fails constantly, ive done over 10 in the last few months!

The internal motors are failing and binding up.

• Confused 2

And you did the actual setup as it's gonna be in Superb 4? 

I doubt it, as this design was only used in VW electic cars so far AFAIK.

Besides that - there's gonna be probably some issues here and there - that's why you should never by a car which was just released ;)

43 minutes ago, komoornik said:

And you did the actual setup as it's gonna be in Superb 4? 

I doubt it, as this design was only used in VW electic cars so far AFAIK.

Besides that - there's gonna be probably some issues here and there - that's why you should never by a car which was just released ;)

Yeah, the octavia mk4 is the same setup as the mk4 superb will be according to ETKA.

Looks somewhat like this and both uses 5WA713033BB and 3WA713033BB parts.

The worst part is, to replace it you have to remove the exhaust and go from under the car!!!!

5WA713033BB GEAR LEVER / 5WA713033BB / 17281071 FOR CUPRA LEON SPORTSTOURER  KL8 | eBay