Columbus Map Update 2024 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

I have been struggling to update my 2019 Kodiaq (Australia) with the maps downloaded from the Skoda portal HIGH12_P353_ROW_202345

I tried to manually update using the menu in System Information like I've done previously, but it would fail with an Error at 2% and the reboot.

I then tried to update using the hidden Service menu and this time it got up to around 40% on the Thailand update and then failed and reset. This time it got stuck in a loop trying to apply the update which I managed to stop by holding the power button until it rebooted. Unfortunately now I have no maps and neither method will install the maps.

Any ideas on what I can do next or am I stuck going back to the dealer?

Feels to me like the RoW map still has the original issue of the European map till they sorted it out. I'd look at the VW RoW lighthouse file link at the top, if it's anything like what happened on the European side. Skoda made a pigs ear of it. It wasn't the zipping but the internal files they had messed up. Us that aren't taken by the branding twaddle just use what works 😂. The files are interchangeable. The SLA1 signature check protects the integrity of the files so it won't be the unzipping. It's passed the integrity check which is what happened on the European Skoda files but they had on their server files that didn't load in the car. They actually went live with that and pulled it. VW has yet to go live on those links as not on their website.

Ah you are using my SWDL method. You have to upload a working one to get it back. Try the VW first then revert to your old file for the time being. There is other stuff going on which is where a second level of integrity checking kicks in.... My long years of playing with SWDL.

You can do a part update with SWDL. If you can't get the VW one working either. Reinstall your old one then do a navdb update using just Australia on the latest. My old test when playing with European maps. I use Iceland as the test, 5 minute quick load. If that doesn't work, you reinstall just the old Australia map fragment back onto your old maps. You play about with the SWDL commands to get it to do part updates. The beauty of SWDL.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MartiniB said:

@spurf

what steps were done?

few years ago, i got similar result,

when extracted archive directly to SD card,

solved by extract to local PC's SSD and only then copied to SD

One should always do that else its thrashing the SD interface.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spurf said:

Thanks @Tell

\Wife is out with the car today but will have a crack tonight 👍

You open the door every 15 minutes to keep the power to the unit if using the SWDL method... I think you can do it with the door open... I always open and close. That keeps the power on to the unit. I normally start if off, get back to the car after 15 minutes, get in, check, lock, get back. About 30 minutes in or so in two walk abouts... on European map it finishes in circa 40 minutes. Useful in that you can see what is going on, unlike the normal method of driving about and waiting to see whether it's done it.

That part update is useful if experimenting with the files. Can take a bit of nimble finger work till you get it right. You don't click all but toggle the bits you want which would be navdb and Australia in the VW link if it didn't work. You'd go June release, then try a part update to the November release on the basis that the corruption might be somewhere else. Suspect the VW file will be fine and it's Skodas mess.

Success! Ws able to flash the VW ROW 2024 using the System Information method. I had a look using the SWDL method but I wasn't able to unselect any of the options. Clicking on the green ticks didn''t change their status.

• Like 1

I have tried 2 new usb sticks and formatted them both and copied music to them and they play just fine, but when i add the mib folders to the usb and stick it back in the car, it says source not supported, and it wont even recognise the music! 😠

Ignore me, ive been stupid. I went into the nav settings option and saw the sd/usb update option.

Clicked that and it is now updating. :)

Edited by Bigeater
update
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, del68 said:

That's called cross posting. This thread is about the mib2 high. That link has the old release on it, 330, not 335 which MartiniB posted on here, the subject of the thread. The latest mib2 high release for November 2024. MartiniB is always on top of the subject. Well 99% of the time. Little does he mis which that site has.

Those links are put together for advertising clickbate, hence the adverts running on them 😉. There is no clickbate on the mibsolution site but what both sites miss is a discussion thread unlike here, thus if you get into trouble the solution isn't on those sites. Ditto Mr Fixit.

What we are looking for at the minute is the mib2 standard November release which isn't there. The Skoda old hat one is, the June 2023 release.

The only purpose of these alternative listings is to cross check for those in the know. The map file links are probed out of the companies servers ahead of publication with a linked company web page. It's how it works for the maps.

The firmware is lifted off the dealer's VAG system and filed away by the not for profit hobbyist mibsolution people. Basically that is the two methods of the source identification. The rest is publication with or without support.

On 31/12/2023 at 00:18, Tell said:

That's called cross posting. This thread is about the mib2 high. That link has the old release on it, 330, not 335 which MartiniB posted on here, the subject of the thread. The latest mib2 high release for November 2024. MartiniB is always on top of the subject. Well 99% of the time. Little does he mis which that site has.

Those links are put together for advertising clickbate, hence the adverts running on them 😉. There is no clickbate on the mibsolution site but what both sites miss is a discussion thread unlike here, thus if you get into trouble the solution isn't on those sites. Ditto Mr Fixit.

What we are looking for at the minute is the mib2 standard November release which isn't there. The Skoda old hat one is, the June 2023 release.

The only purpose of these alternative listings is to cross check for those in the know. The map file links are probed out of the companies servers ahead of publication with a linked company web page. It's how it works for the maps.

The firmware is lifted off the dealer's VAG system and filed away by the not for profit hobbyist mibsolution people. Basically that is the two methods of the source identification. The rest is publication with or without support.

sorry i didnt know , when are 2024 maps released 

2 hours ago, del68 said:

sorry i didnt know , when are 2024 maps released 

They are officially posted June and November each year. Sometimes early, sometimes late, but generally available via direct link that is identified ahead of the web page being written around them. VW Mib2 standard ones run 6 months ahead of Skoda ones so you are always better off using VW files. Basically that is the golden rule use VW over Skoda or Seat.

Currently, no sign of the VW mib2 standard ones, which is either due to a production problem or the dreaded end of life (EOL). End of life is 5 years after the last production car was shifted. Slight mute point when the last mib2 standard was sold. 2019 would sort of suggest hard cheddar.  Mib2 highs on the other hand were still being fitted in Audi cars, the TT for a couple of years more.  Once the VW navigation update page is published for this round which is late, although we know the mib2 high files, it will give a good idea. There have been production issues before. If June comes and goes without any news on the mib2 standard then that will be it.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone have any issue with the ROW?

Upon inserting the card the update is recognised (message appears in the top section of the screen saying 'update available) but not started automatically.

As I start the update I have an error after 3/4 minutes as it reaches 2%. The detail says 'to try re-insert the SD card as the medium is not supported' - then device re-starts.

Tried to download the file twice and used 3 different SD cards, but still no joy.

Have you tried each of MartiniB's posted up files there were issues with the European one now sorted so still may be in the RoW. Try each of the three.

# Rest of World 2024       25.3 Gb

Version:    V03.959.820.MN 0353 ROW 2024
DevVersion:     P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW_NT_Q1.23

VW portal:       https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z

VW portal:     https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z

Files inside:    2023.05.19
Downloadable:    2023.11.27
Published:    2023.--.--
 Škoda portal:   http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P353_ROW_202345.zip

Downloadable:    2023.11.14

2 hours ago, Mr_Brownstone said:

Did anyone have any issue with the ROW?

Upon inserting the card the update is recognised (message appears in the top section of the screen saying 'update available) but not started automatically.

As I start the update I have an error after 3/4 minutes as it reaches 2%. The detail says 'to try re-insert the SD card as the medium is not supported' - then device re-starts.

Tried to download the file twice and used 3 different SD cards, but still no joy.

Can confirm this update is borked as I had the exact same failure at 2% on my Kodiaq  I went further and tried to force the update through the service menu which ended up losing all the maps. I recovered using the VW maps. 

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

7 hours ago, spurf said:

Can confirm this update is borked as I had the exact same failure at 2% on my Kodiaq  I went further and tried to force the update through the service menu which ended up losing all the maps. I recovered using the VW maps. 

When you say recovered ùsing the VW maps did you mean the 2024 one on the list, if so the solution is use the VW one. They are all suppose to be identical at source but if they get messed up in processing then not.

Always best not to have brand loyaly, use the VW ones where possible, same files but messed up processing. It what I always do.

1 hour ago, Tell said:

When you say recovered ùsing the VW maps did you mean the 2024 one on the list, if so the solution is use the VW one. They are all suppose to be identical at source but if they get messed up in processing then not.

Always best not to have brand loyaly, use the VW ones where possible, same files but messed up processing. It what I always do.

Yep. Used the latest VW one

25 minutes ago, spurf said:

Yep. Used the latest VW one

Right so what we are saying for RoW is use the VW RoW 2024 link. The Skoda link doesn't work same issue as the European one but they fixed it on the Skoda European side but remains un fixed on the RoW.

The update does tease the unit to actually put it away... forgotten what it's called so that's the next level of security beyond the signatures. Thats what it fails on when it hangs and stops (ECU may have remembered, it has to pass that test). Least that is what I think Skoda messed up on. Just that Skoda haven't tested very well their files whilst VW does. Better resourced. Map files can be used across brands in the Vag group if the brand people don't mess them up, so they don't work on any brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been having major headache with the Skoda files. Tried numerous storage media with different file architecture. Continually have an 'SD card cannot be read' or 'No updates found' error. The VW download then went onto an exFAT 64GB SD card, loaded it onto the slot and the update was recognised.  Thanks @MartiniB for your diligent work on finding these packages!

Exfat 64gb SD card is the way to go when it won't fit on a 32gb SD card.  I know other have used USB in the past. I got away with the Audi file that MartiniB indexed up which was just for mib2 high, not the joint mib1/mib2 high so didn't bother with the final normal VW / Skoda / Seat release since I'd got 350 already.

Apparently Audi always release it like that but on a closed login. You need to have bought mapcare to get at it. Skoda and VW have limitless mapcare free on their units. That Russian website offered the Skoda file.

Skoda made a pigs ear of zipping The original mib1/mib2 high combined file. That went across the regional releases.

I read the Skoda Community German board to see what they are saying to cross check. They do get stuck on somethings thou which we know here.

In most cases best to use the VW linked files where better QA is in play. Audi also seems to be the same. Flaky releases are at the cheaper end of the brands.

On 29/01/2024 at 11:36, Tell said:

Have you tried each of MartiniB's posted up files there were issues with the European one now sorted so still may be in the RoW. Try each of the three.

# Rest of World 2024       25.3 Gb

Version:    V03.959.820.MN 0353 ROW 2024
DevVersion:     P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW_NT_Q1.23

VW portal:       https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z

VW portal:     https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z

Downloadable:    2023.11.27
 Škoda portal:   http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P353_ROW_202345.zip

Downloadable:    2023.11.14

I finally had a drive long enough the other day to allow the installation.

Confirming the VW portal file works, flawless installation and full maps functionality afterwards - I downloaded the second file.

• Like 1

I tried again and i am getting stuck. Navigation system eventually goes to **** and won't come back on until i shut the car off for a few minutes. Tried the latest suggested maps but when i start the update i cannot actually "start" it as all the options are N/A. Any idea what i am supposed to do?