Virtual Cockpit Mess

Howlai

Hey! 

Thought this might be the best place realistically to try get an answer as everywhere online is so vogue and I’ve not yet had a straight answer through Skoda.. 

I’m looking at placing an order for the 2023 KAROQ Sportline sometime in the next month… the problem is I can’t seem to find what driver display comes as standard on the late 23 models… just looking on places like auto trader and some googling about shows me so many mixed versions and even the online configurator doesn’t say anything - yes it may say virtual cockpit comes as standard but I’ve seen many KAROQ Sportline registered in September - November have the tiny little screen which would annoy me considering the vehicle I have currently has a lovely large virtual cockpit that I couldn’t get rid of on a newer vehicle. 

if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what size Virtual cockpit, 10.25 or the measly 8” screen I’d receive on a brand new order I’d appreciate it a lot. 

any help again is appreciated !! Thanks in advance :)

IMG_1591.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

1 minute ago, Keithjock said:

Order it with the option "Amundsen +" with that you'll have more options to configure the virtual dash. From memory with the standard Virtual Dash, your options are limited

That’s what I feel like I’m going to have to do but I feel like it shouldn’t be telling me on the configurator the virtual cockpit comes as standard as the Sportline should do…. However again there’s no clear answer as to wether it does as upgrading to the Amundsen+ doesn’t seem to change anything other than the main infotainment screen in the middle which I’m not too bothered about being the smaller one… it’s so back and forth lol

Looking at the latest online brochure and owners manual, there are three instrument cluster options:

- Analog instrument cluster with MaxiDot display

- Digital display

- Virtual cockpit

The Amundsen Package Plus or Columbus Package should include the virtual cockpit. The former appears standard on a Sportline.

image.thumb.png.5b58a994a84236af884ec448a5b6c0ea.png

Brochure: https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/c63f4efb-a760-4a48-931f-baad88d42aa6

Manual: https://digital-manual.skoda-auto.com/w/en_GB/show/9806f7dd179233d9a8f4adffa86b1a5f_2_en_GB

1 minute ago, langers2k said:

Looking at the latest online brochure and owners manual, there are three instrument cluster options:

- Analog instrument cluster with MaxiDot display

- Digital display

- Virtual cockpit

The Amundsen Package Plus or Columbus Package should include the virtual cockpit. The former appears standard on a Sportline.

image.thumb.png.5b58a994a84236af884ec448a5b6c0ea.png

Brochure: https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/c63f4efb-a760-4a48-931f-baad88d42aa6

Manual: https://digital-manual.skoda-auto.com/w/en_GB/show/9806f7dd179233d9a8f4adffa86b1a5f_2_en_GB

Thanks  Langers, I have seen the brochure already which again is another reason why it’s confusing me seeing 2023 Sportlines with the tiny digital display and not the 10.25” virtual cockpit which supposedly comes as standard on the Sportline… I hope my confusion seems to make sense lol

Just now, don_kiddik said:

@Howlai

I ordered my sportline in May, and I received it this week, it came with the larger virtual cockpit, and I only have the normal Amundsen 

Hope this helps

That’s good to hear lol, some slight reassurance 😂😂 that’s why I thought it’d be good to speak to those that own them ! What you thinking of the KAROQ so far!

I can only imagine there was a spec change at some point. Having a quick look at used approved cars, earlier ones seem to have digital displays but later ones have virtual cockpits.

At a guess, I'd imagine cars with a build date (not registration date) after around May probably get a VC whereas previously they didn't.

Just now, langers2k said:

I can only imagine there was a spec change at some point. Having a quick look at used approved cars, earlier ones seem to have digital displays but later ones have virtual cockpits.

At a guess, I'd imagine cars with a build date (not registration date) after around May probably get a VC whereas previously they didn't.

This is what I’ve been thinking … I’ve been assuming it was due to the chip shortage. I think i should be in the clear but I just wanted to triple check before pulling the plug as knowing my luck 😂

23MY SportsLine owner here and can confirm that ‘as standard’ you’ll get the smaller of the two virtual cockpit options, you’ll only get the larger 10.25” version if you go for the Amundsen+ pack.

To be honest having now experienced both versions I like my version (slightly blurry photo attached), I found that once you get over the novelty of changing the layout of the VC you tend to stick with one version.

Having tried putting maps in the VC I found it far too busy and cramped to be of any real use. All I need is speedo, temp and fuel level, much more than that is a distraction. The layout shown below is what I tend to stick with speedo/rev counter in the centre, how often do we really need to look at the rev counter?

Obviously Škoda like changing spec without telling anyone so ymmv 😆

IMG_7544.jpeg

Edited by Modders
Typo

5 minutes ago, Howlai said:

That’s good to hear lol, some slight reassurance 😂😂 that’s why I thought it’d be good to speak to those that own them ! What you thinking of the KAROQ so far!

@Howlai

Great, this is my 3rd Karoq, previously had a Yeti and before that a Fabia estate. My Sportline is in Phoenix Orange, and looks beautiful!

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

Just been looking earlier at new Karoq specs myself and the instrument cluster available on the SEL is not at all clear in the brochure also.........

Yeah none of it is very clear in all honesty lol, it’s like a guessing game 🤣 one place says this the next says that it’s like a game of lucky dip 🤭

2 hours ago, Keithjock said:

Here's mine, a couple of weeks old. My 4th Karoq1.5 DSG. Previous Karoqs, 2 SEL and 2 Sportline. This one has Amundsen + & Winter Pack.

Ceramic coated

FB_IMG_1699562606544.jpg

4th one! 😳 looks a beauty mate, good to hear you’re enjoying it! Despite playing duck duck goose with this VC thing makes me excited to get one lol

3 hours ago, Modders said:

23MY SportsLine owner here and can confirm that ‘as standard’ you’ll get the smaller of the two virtual cockpit options, you’ll only get the larger 10.25” version if you go for the Amundsen+ pack.

To be honest having now experienced both versions I like my version (slightly blurry photo attached), I found that once you get over the novelty of changing the layout of the VC you tend to stick with one version.

Having tried putting maps in the VC I found it far too busy and cramped to be of any real use. All I need is speedo, temp and fuel level, much more than that is a distraction. The layout shown below is what I tend to stick with speedo/rev counter in the centre, how often do we really need to look at the rev counter?

Obviously Škoda like changing spec without telling anyone so ymmv 😆

IMG_7544.jpeg

When abouts did you get yours, im still thinking maybe it was to do with a chip shortage… I’ve read that from week 13 onwards of 2023 the 10.25 is standard…. Whether that’s true is a guess in itself lol. As much as the smaller displays not a problem, I’ll just miss having maps and all my other little bits on that display… My XC40 currently has the virtual cockpit and I love that thing ! Just don’t think I could go back to basics lol 🤣

Im trying to hold any hope that Id get the 10.25” VC as standard lol, not sure I really wanna fork out almost a grand for an extra inch on the infotainment screen and be surprised later on that the VC came as standard anyway hahaha.. but if needs must 🤷

6 hours ago, Howlai said:

When abouts did you get yours, im still thinking maybe it was to do with a chip shortage… I’ve read that from week 13 onwards of 2023 the 10.25 is standard…. Whether that’s true is a guess in itself lol. As much as the smaller displays not a problem, I’ll just miss having maps and all my other little bits on that display… My XC40 currently has the virtual cockpit and I love that thing ! Just don’t think I could go back to basics lol 🤣

I ordered mine on 27th February 2023 and picked it up 24th October 2023. The delay was due to the Chip shortage I was told.

12 hours ago, Howlai said:

Amundsen+ doesn’t seem to change anything other than the main infotainment screen in the middle

Amundsen+ will give you the larger VC but won’t change the size of the central infotainment screen, to get the larger central screen you’d need to go for the Columbus Package which at around £1400 seems ludicrous price differential for an extra inch of screen.

Edited by Modders

The Karoq brochure is certainly vague about it - I think all models have some sort of virtual cockpit, but I don;t see it mentions the 10.25" one at all?

In another thread someone rejected an SE-L as it came with the basic display and he wasn't expecting that.  I really like the twin analogue dash in our pre-22 facelift SE-L and thought the basic digital dash in a courtesy Karoq SE I was loaned wasn't nice at all.   I will say all my wife wants is to see is the digitial speed, she goes mad if I change the muti-function display, so she would likely be fine with it.

Contrast that to Kamiq - just bought the run-out model SE-L for our daughter and both that and the Monte Carlo trim highlight that they have 10.25" VC as standard, and it carries over to the new model too.

Daughter has commented the VC can be confusing - I think she said it shows the map when she doesn;t want it to.  She is one of these people who would just live with something rather then try and figure out how to change it though.

Edited by Rory

1 hour ago, Rory said:

The Karoq brochure is certainly vague about it - I think all models have some sort of virtual cockpit, but I don;t see it mentions the 10.25" one at all?

It really doesn't matter what anyone who's already taken delivery of their car says. I doesn't even matter what the brochure says apart from the last piece of information i.e. ( i'm paraphrasing this as I can't remember the exact wording )  "Prices and Specs correct at time of going to press. Please contact your dealer for latest information".

Bottom line is never rely on the spec of a car that hasn't already been built based soley on an outdated brochure or a car that's already been built. Contact your dealer.

Believe to have an update… only took AGES, I’ve been told from week 14 of 2023 all KAROQ Sportlines will be equipped with the 10.25 VC as standard… 

again the brochures are so vague and it seems maybe this was due to a shortage of something and theyre now back to normal production ?! as I am aware the two trims below the sportline come with the small 8” display…. 

the whole reason I didn’t want to upgrade to the Columbus was for the price of it for an extra inch when all the configurator and brochures had said the VC was standard along with the Amundsen+ package on the sportlines 🤷

Hoping this could be the end of the virtual cockpit saga lol… TOUCH WOOD

for now thanks all 🤭 I’ll be back if I get anymore updates and hopefully if I take delivery of one ! ;) 

1 hour ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It really doesn't matter what anyone who's already taken delivery of their car says. I doesn't even matter what the brochure says apart from the last piece of information i.e. ( i'm paraphrasing this as I can't remember the exact wording )  "Prices and Specs correct at time of going to press. Please contact your dealer for latest information".

Bottom line is never rely on the spec of a car that hasn't already been built based soley on an outdated brochure or a car that's already been built. Contact your dealer.

Yes, but the brochures are constantly updated so it's a bit mad not to build to the brochure.  And it's also dd that the Kamiq brochure is so explicit about having the 10.25" display, when Karoq's doesn't mention it.

I recall having the "what spec will it be" discussion with a Ford dealer - Ford has quarter model years, so you get 2023.25, 2023.5 etc cars.  Dealer said even than they don't know exact spec details until the cars turn up.     It's another issue with current lead-times - you're having to order "blind" to a certain extent.

Edited by Rory

20 hours ago, Rory said:

Yes, but the brochures are constantly updated so it's a bit mad not to build to the brochure.  And it's also dd that the Kamiq brochure is so explicit about having the 10.25" display, when Karoq's doesn't mention it.

I recall having the "what spec will it be" discussion with a Ford dealer - Ford has quarter model years, so you get 2023.25, 2023.5 etc cars.  Dealer said even than they don't know exact spec details until the cars turn up.     It's another issue with current lead-times - you're having to order "blind" to a certain extent.

You've always had to order blind - it's one of the downsides of ordering a car that hasn't yet been built.

You say brochures are constantly updated? Not in my experience they're not. If that were true then there would be no need to have a disclaimer that prices and specs are correct at time of going to press.  Speaking from personal experience, my Kodiaq turned up with a heated steering wheel which I was not expecting. For a period when the 2020 mild facelift appeared, a heated steering wheel was std equipment but the only mention of it in the brochure when I ordering was as an optional extra. Which begs the question, what would have happened to those who paid extra for a heated steering wheel? Have no idea if their order would have gone thru or they'd have been informed it was already included.

If you do as advised and contact the dealer and they say, yes the car comes with a 10.25" display then you find it doesn't, you obviously have a legal case for rejection or compensation.  If however you were told to contact your dealer for latest spec and you didn't, then when the car turns up with a smaller / cheaper screen, legally you don't have a case.

If it's something important to you, then it's always best to get details from the horses mouth and never assume.