MOT Advisory for all 4 tyres

Smokeyjoe

Car is just 4 years old and very low mileage, so I was a bit surprised that the tyres were in poor condition. After a closer inspection today the only cracks I can see are as in the picture. The Tyres are the standard 17" Turanzas with a date code of 36 19 so were new as the car was being built. Just wondering if the tyres are faulty as they surely ought to last longer than this. Generally in the past I was under the impression that you should get 7 years out of a tyre unless of course they had worn down to the legal limit. The car has only been driven on tarmac roads but the state of the tyres looks like that have been offroad!20231208_112244.thumb.jpg.b990e9cfd7aab0f18210d342e531bc1e.jpg

• Love it! 1

How low is the mileage and what are the tread depths?

Turanza's are horrible tyres - rock hard, yet don't last long.   Had them on our Ateca and even with rotating them they only lasted 18K miles (car mainly used for a steady 30 mile commute).

Replaced them with Micheln Cross Climate - more comfortable, obviously better in slippery conditions, and just changed them again after another 40K miles (so they lasted twice as long), and probably could have got away with only doing the fronts, the rears still had 4mm.

Having said all that, if you're otherwise happy with the tyres then those cracks don't look serious - if they were dangerous the car would have failed.

Edited by Rory
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rory said:

How low is the mileage and what are the tread depths?

6805 miles and between 4.5mm and 5.5mm

The tyres are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, so I have emailed Bridgestone to enquire how good the warranty is.

Nothing to see, quite normal now that tyres are made from recycled diddlydidos.

Not faulty, not illegal, just the shoîte that is sold these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smokeyjoe said:

The tyres are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, so I have emailed Bridgestone to enquire how good the warranty is.

That should give them something to laugh about, they will probably stick it on the wall with the others.

Seriously, what response would you expect to that question?

The following criteria should be used when assessing a cut in a tyre:

• any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
  • if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
  • if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail

Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Seriously, what response would you expect to that question?

If you don't ask you don't get. Many years ago I had a tyre replaced under warranty. I was advised to put in a claim by the tyre fitter. If a tyre has an MOT advisory at 4 years old for its condition, then it needs to be brought to the manufacturers attention surely?

I am realistic and not holding my breath for a positive response, but its surely worth asking than just shelling out £500 on a new set?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Smokeyjoe said:

If you don't ask you don't get. Many years ago I had a tyre replaced under warranty. I was advised to put in a claim by the tyre fitter. If a tyre has an MOT advisory at 4 years old for its condition, then it needs to be brought to the manufacturers attention surely?

I am realistic and not holding my breath for a positive response, but its surely worth asking than just shelling out £500 on a new set?

Agree, worth an ask.  My dad had similar many years ago.  He wrote to them and they offered a discount on some new tyres as good will.  Worth the cost of a stamp!

• Love it! 1

Just had a look at one of mine, rather handily sitting under the stairs in their covers as winter set is now on.  They’ve done 10,730 miles according to  the Road Trip app, about the same age and have only been used in “summer”, and when not in use cosseted indoors.

IMG_2069.thumb.jpeg.7ba897583f77c0aeeb4218ab079dbaf4.jpeg

Sitting at 5mm tread, can’t remember what the new tread level was but ain’t going to be long until they need replaced.😢

PS Just clocked 8mm tread at start so another 7,200 miles left on them. 

Edited by DSL

2 hours ago, Rory said:

Turanza's are horrible tyres - rock hard, yet don't last long.   Had them on our Ateca and even with rotating them they only lasted 18K miles (car mainly used for a steady 30 mile commute).

Couldn't agree more with what you say. We replaced the fronts on out Ateca sooner than that - the car was mainly used around town. To me most tyres are just a tyre but those Turanza's stuck in my mind as 'defo avoid in future'

1 hour ago, Smokeyjoe said:

If you don't ask you don't get.

Absolutely. 👍

You say they've only been driven on tarmac but given the state of our roads that's no guarantee they haven't suffered excessive wear. The warranty will only cover manufacturing defects so the chances of all four tyres being faulty manufacture are slim to say the least.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

3 hours ago, Smokeyjoe said:

6805 miles and between 4.5mm and 5.5mm

Gosh, that really isn't may miles in 4 years.   Supposedly tyres can crack due to lack of use as the rubber isn't being "worked".

On the warranty, I guess it may hinge of the definition of "lifetime" - they could say they've had their life.   I imagine the warranty is only against defects anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DSL said:

Sitting at 5mm tread, can’t remember what the new tread level was but ain’t going to be long until they need replaced.😢

PS Just clocked 8mm tread at start so another 7,200 miles left on them. 

7mm seems to be more typical now, and  some are less than 6mm.   So your tyres might have longer than you think.

As J R said above the tyre compound these days is made from all sorts of  stuff.

Our regular tyre fitter who has been in the trade for donkeys years said exactly the same when my Pyrelli snow tryes showed much worse cracks after little mileage, he added that the modern compounds these days are not a patch on the componds of yesteryear.

Got a reply back by return..............

First of all, I am really sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Bridgestone Tyres.

Please be advised your tyres are covered under warranty for manufacturing defects in case the production date of the tyres is no older than 5 years prior to today's date. Bridgestone follows the he British Tyre Manufacturers' Association (BTMA) consumer complaints process. This can be found on the following web link:

https://btmauk.com/consumer-complaints-about-tyres/

The process involves visiting a local tyre dealer who will manage your complaint for you. You will be asked to complete a Standard Application Form (SAF), which a copy can be found on the web link above. Once completed, the tyre dealer will contact Bridgestone and a FOC collection will be organised. Bridgestone will then inspect the tyre at their Technical Laboratory and will either issue a credit note in the form of cash (ref: based on remaining tread depth) or issue a reject letter explaining the reason for rejection. This process takes approximately 14 days.

Any questions, please contact our technical team on [email protected] (01926 488 579, 01926 488 580) - please use this email address if you would like to send photos for visual examination.

It might be an idea for any other member who have Turanza tyres to check for similar cracks. If under 5 years old, they are covered by warranty!

@Smokeyjoe So it involves you buying a set of their tyres, there will not be a credit note for Michelins if you fit will there? 

Have you yet been to an Authorised Bridgestone Tyre Fitting centre and had the tyres sent off and then confirmed as a manufacturing fault on your under 5 year old tyres? 

They will be covered by Warranty if they are a Manufacturing fault.    As many know they do what is required and are told they are not.

Sometimes the likes of Mytyres when you complain just send out a set of tyres from whichever manufacturer after you complain and send pictures and just to save hassle.. 

Maybe Bridgestone will just take the easy way and make your day.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/480076-tyres-cracking-on-280

Screenshot 2023-12-08 17.48.54.png

Screenshot 2023-12-08 17.52.57.png

Edited by Rooted

4 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Smokeyjoe So it involves you buying a set of their tyres, there will not be a credit note for Michelins if you fit will there? 

Have you yet been to an Authorised Bridgestone Tyre Fitting centre and had the tyres sent off and then confirmed as a manufacturing fault on your under 5 year old tyres? 

They will be covered by Warranty if they are a Manufacturing fault.    As many know they do what is required and are told they are not.

Sometimes the likes of Mytyres when you complain just send out a set of tyres from whichever manufacturer after you complain and send pictures and just to save hassle.. 

Maybe Bridgestone will just take the easy way and make your day.

I have initially sent an email as requested with photos of all 4 x tyres for an initial evaluation. If they reject the claim at this stage, I will just run the tyres until I feel they become unsafe / fail an MOT / or run out of tread.

I suspect if they give a credit, it may have to be against more Turanzas. I don't know how they would react if I bought a different Tyre brand, but it looks like they will just send a cheque to me based on the value of tyre left (tread depth). Anyway, I will await a reply.

They wont do anything, they want you to go and spend loads of money with at one of their "Authorised Fitting Centres" in the belief that the tyres will be sent back carriage paid for an inspection, if you go to the tyre place the next day you will find them in the skip with all the others although with 5mm of tread they will probably go to a part worn seller.

You can guess what the response from Bridgestone will be after their supposed inspection 🙄 although if the tyre place tells them that they really were bad (which yours aint) and you had new Bridgestones fitted they might give you a rebate.

Tell them that you have already had them removed and you have them ready for their FOC collection and see how quick they backtrack.

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

......the guide to the process on the website linked to says if the tyres came on the car from new, then you have to go back to the supplying dealer.

• Thanks 1

And they will no doubt want to charge you for an investigation saying no fault (codes) found 😀

• Like 1

I suspect I know how this will go

You jump through hoops and get them returned

Bridgestone can't see a manufacturing fault, just cracks which started by using summer tyres in cold weather, then gradually enlarged

Legal team and customer relations team have a history (which you don't know) which is either pay up and keep quiet, or reject it to avoid floodgates of claims.  Hopefully Op @Smokeyjoe  will come back and say outcome

Interestingly, I had Bridgestone tyres on previous car, got cracking. But we left tyres on all year.  My car, where I switch to winter tyres (and the summer tyres just sit in garage through cold weather) are now in sixth year, not slightest bit of cracking.  Personally I think the Eco part of the compound  to save fuel is to hard and gets brittle and hairline cracks form if you use them in the cold. Over time the flexing of the tyre as it touches the road and flattens out widens the surface cracks.  

The question is does that make it a manufacturing fault, or the user choosing to use them at temperatures below what they were intended for.  You can read all sorts of waffle about UV creating cracks (but doesn't seem to affect summer tyres when sun is strong, if not used in winter, so is clearly garbage).

It's clear to me the low rolling resistance (eco) compound part of modern summer tyres (which didn't used to be there) is the problem, it is simply not flexible enough to be used on cold days and cracks if choose to move the car when it's cold.  

Its basic physics, rubber like materials are hard and crack when cold, softer and grippy when warm, and gooey if too warm. Increasing the long life and grippy characteristics is going to narrow the ideal operating temperature range.  Not a problem because they also sell all season and winter tyres which are optimised for those, except of course most Brits try and use the summer version whatever the weather.

"Summer tyres"again 🤣

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Bridgestone can't see a manufacturing fault, just cracks which started by using summer tyres in cold weather, then gradually enlarged

I can't somehow see them using those words when they refute the claim.

Notwithstanding your obsession with a product that does not exist I completely agree with your analysis of how the claim will go.

There is another way of looking at it, the OP has no claim, the tyres are still fit for purpose and legal to use on the road.

22 hours ago, Smokeyjoe said:

A lifetime warranty will be against manufacturing defects.

The cracking you are experiencing is one of 2 causes;

Environmental factors - such as strong car cleaning chemicals 

Rubber quality - newer tyres are often made using different process including a harder/softer compound more prone to cracking but with the benefit of noise reduction and better fuel efficency. 

Either way, goodyear will say something very similar to the above and kick you out the door.

My Pirelli P7's after 3 years were cracked to pieces and from a MOT point of view, unless cords are exposed, its not a fail.

• Like 1

@J.R.we get it, according to you there are not Summer Tyres or Summer Bias tyres, just all year round, all seasons tyres that might be better in warmer / drier conditions ans in some Regions of Europe  might be illegal to use in areas where Winter / Snow tyres are required or tyres like All Seasons which have a Summer bias but are 3 peak approved.

eg Michelin CrossClimates.