spark plugs are unevenly colored, advice please?

3 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

People dumped easily Pierburg carburetors because they are more sensitive to vacuum leaks. Any vacuum leak makes you wanna dump the car i a ditch and set it on fire. Sealing perfectly the underbody of the carburetor makes you love your very economical car.

So, no need of any Weber carb from my part.

OH, hey, that's relevant! Do you know any source of info on what to check how to properly fix up a Pierburg? 

I used my Haynes when i replaced the torn diagraph, but it's quite sparse on info. 

Later on I found a volvo 240 manual for Pierburg 175, and a Stormberg/pierburg technical description in PDF.

(I can mail them to you if interested of course) 

1 hour ago, hzoltaan said:

No change in starting up though, it always felt like 3 cylinders fired up correctly and the 4th took a lot of play with the choke, a bit of throttle etc. 

Have a vacuum leak test ASAP. I hope you know how to do it.

1 minute ago, hzoltaan said:

OH, hey, that's relevant! Do you know any source of info on what to check how to properly fix up a Pierburg? 

Just give me the exact type of the Pierburg you have. It is stamped on its body.

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

Just give me the exact type of the Pierburg you have. It is stamped on its body.

It says on the plastic cover: 'Pierburg 175CD'

Stamped into it's side: '175 CDUS'

and smaller letters under that: 'DAG' 

Thanks!

Great! 

Saved them all into the Saab folder on my machine! 

Thanks a lot! I owe you a big cerveza.

Yesterday I also blanked off the EGR and did a compression test while at it. 

Nr1: 1025kpa

Nr2: 1010kpa

Nr3: 1025kpa

Nr4: 1180kpa

As Nr4 was black and wet if i recall correctly now i wonder if it has some oil leak from valve stem for example that would boost the test results.

Otherwise decent.

Test was on cold engine of course, all components present, but wide open throttle, I gave each cylinders about 5 compression strokes with the starter. 

comp_test_2024-1_nr4cyl.JPG

4 hours ago, hzoltaan said:

As Nr4 was black and wet if i recall correctly now i wonder if it has some oil leak from valve stem for example that would boost the test results.

In your first post you said that spark plugs on 1 and 4 are black and dry. Having black, dry soot on them is one thing, being wet and oily is another thing. So you have to decide which is which and give us consistent information.

A bad valve stem seal will not boost the compression value. On the contrary.

Compression values: opposed to what you said initially, they are rather low, with one cylinder (no. 4) having more than 10% difference from the other ones. What you believe to sound like "working in 3 good cylinders" at cold start, it is in fact working in 3 low compression cylinders and the 4th slightly better. The galloping sound comes from one cylinder having better compression.

Of course it is hard to diagnose correctly an engine remotely, based on incorrect or insufficient information. But based on what you shared in your last post, the engine has mechanical issues.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2024 at 14:54, RicardoM said:

Obviously. The OP has very different combustion in 2 cylinders. It has nothing to do with the carburetor.

Yes vacuum, and engine breathing errors can throw up all sorts of  funny things.

On 02/01/2024 at 14:54, RicardoM said:

I know myself too a lot of stories about "smart old school wizards" who in reality are a bunch of amateurs with zero knowledge about understanding engine diagnose and the effects of "miracle" solutions. Usually the effects are higher consumption and higher pollution. Irrelevant for street garage tinkerers.

Yes I am sure you do know those stories - but you don't have the first clue who I am referring to and his qualifications and fully professional long experience and service.

I have dealt with highly praised engineers who were really low-life con-artists.  Having paper qualifications and decades of offering professional service, owing a garage or engineering business, being recommended and highly praised on a national TV motoring program can mean sweet FA in my decades of personal experience.

On 02/01/2024 at 14:49, hzoltaan said:

Knowledge like that what you mentioned is simply priceless! 

Yes it was but now very sadly very lacking over here.  Anyone decent is usually, dead, fully retired or so busy they deal with stuff from a long queue of people who want their work but no rush as they have toys or projects that can wait.

I've dealt with so many poor quality workers and people in the English motor trade over decades to recognise when I get a good worker and/or person.

I'm not technical but did assume (always dangerous) that you had done a compression check earlier on - just checked and you did and were happy with the figures.  🙃

You've done it now you've upset the section's Chief Police Official you are suppose to give very brief and to the point information so that the second hat of Solution Priest can be swapped to and a brief and to the point answer given, with perhaps a qualification so that if the answer is wrong then it's your fault.  😄

You sir have added to the tilt of what once was a perfectly balanced world, you're a very naughty boy.  😆

Edited by nta16

@nta16 For somebody who admits has no technical knowledge, just knew once upon a time very few mechanics who performed miracles by scratching their head for a while, you have quite a bad attitude. Your only contributions seem to be 1) doing a great job trolling with thousands of messages many sections of Briskoda forum, 2) spreading your woke opinions, and 3) being a jerk although I explained to you politely how harmful is your behavior to the quality of information in this otherwise very well organized Skoda forum. I am sure the OP will understand that if he wants relevant help, about a car that, by the way, is NOT a Skoda, he has to provide accurate information, otherwise we can equally chat about what you like the most, generic rubbish in a pub, from the good ol' times when the metal sheet of the car was thicker and British mechanical engineers were greasier and more helpful.

I am sorry if my pragmatic, to the point replies don't satisfy your trolling wish and your obvious appetite to stir trouble, but where I come from you have two reasonable options: either offer better technical advice than I do, or avoid making a fool out of yourself.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

@RicardoM you will not bully me like you attempt to bully others.

As you have rejected my other ideas why not just put up posts directing posters to your technical threads and guides as this will give the very short, direct and technically correct answers and keep the thread short the way you want for the threads and this section to be - unless the posters are seeking or want to take advantage of more or wider things.

I will gladly put a link to any of your technical threads and guides once I learn from you doing so as obviously I'd not know until then what is appropriate.

1) - You have thousands of posts, I have read but a few of that number yet you seem able to have read many of mine and take them as trolling because they are spread over more than one section.  There are a lot of commonality on sections of a car website, generalities that apply, just as one example is a Felicia tyre that different to a Fabia or the basics of a tyre not apply to other models, do I need to be a technical expert in tyres to give general advice, details or opinions.

2) I don't even know what woke means but I'm pretty sure you'd have a very firm idea of what it means to you - so that it should not apply in YOUR section of this site

3) by being a jerk do you mean not always fully agreeing with you and fully doing as you want - and perhaps watching you take the **** and bully someone else and watching you throwing your toys out of the pram when they (not me) give you some of your own medicine back.  Whether you intend it or not, and it's not on at least a few occasions, you aren't that polite to me usually (and for another).  I think the "one who is cruel, rude, or small-minded" of jerk applies a greater deal more to you than me, otherwise I'd have given you much more and much sooner than the little bit of ****-taking here.

I am not in any way in any competition with you especially about correct technical advice.

You were demeaning me and someone else you knew nothing of and then gave the OP a bit of a snooty or ****ty telling off (part of which, but not your manner of reply, I agreed with if you check again) so (belatedly) for the first time I took the **** out of you - and you don't like it, can dish it out to others but not take it yourself.

IF the OP doesn't want to read or respond to my  post(s) that is fine, previously there was a response to one of my non-technical and bit of "good ol' times" posts perhaps the OP was just being polite but at least he was genuinely being polite.

I do not need to stir any trouble as you start it so often already, if you can't take a tiny bit of ****-taking don't throw out so much trouble and ****-taking yourself.

If you want me (and others) to only do as you want and you will not even consider becoming a Moderator, or take over the site, then Report me and try to get rid of me, and then perhaps try for others who also don't do things the way you want them done.

Just because I dislike your attitude doesn't mean I don't see and understand that you often give very good advice, pity you can't sometimes resist being confrontational and offensive, and I don't mean just to me.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nta16 said:

Just because I dislike your attitude doesn't mean I don't see and understand that you often give very good advice, pity you can't sometimes resist being confrontational and offensive, and I don't mean just to me.

It is obvious from your lengthy replies that you have a lot of free time and for you it is entertaining to kill it with all kind of unrelated stories. When I say "unrelated" that refers to the subject, or the title of a topic, useful for those who search for advice. Right now, if somebody needs technical help in this section, (many people used to come to this forum from tens of foreign countries), he/she has a hard time hunting for relevant information about his/her issue. Why is that? Because one has to read your novels about nothing and everything. I find that disrespectful towards all those who own a Skoda Felicia/Favorit. The testimony for my opinion are thousands of specific replies and guides I wrote for them, often with schematics, annotated photos, illustrations, and videos. For them I got in return their thanks and appreciation.

As an example, everything went well in this topic, until you felt the need to be unnecessary sarcastic towards me for the simple reason you felt hurt for somebody else's feelings. Nobody asked you anything, nobody complained, nobody mandated you as his attorney, on the contrary, the OP thanked me for helping him with information from my very large technical library gathered in so many years working as a car mechanic. This forum is neither a contest for who is more sensitive, motherly, or woke, nor a platform for defending people deprived of their human rights. The OP was happy he got help in a forum totally unrelated to his car, although there are many SAAB forums out there. I have every right to express my dissatisfaction when those in need of help are wasting my time providing contradicting, incomplete, or plain wrong information. It is like going to a car garage and saying that you need your car fixed because the engine has a lack of power, the mechanic takes your word for it because the client knows better, then he verifies your claim, reports the engine is working perfectly, then you say "oh, I wanted in fact to say that the left blinker is not working all the time". Except that in real life they have to pay for extra diagnose time.

So let's cut the crap and focus on technical matters, not in nursing the souls of deeply troubled people.

I am sure you will take the opportunity to write a new novel in reply, without agreeing to any of my opinions. That is why I promise you that from now on I will not read anything longer than 2 rows coming from you.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 2
  • Groan 1

Hi Chaps.

Happy hollydays and best wishes for this 2024!

Ricardo, do youu still keep your Felicia?

I ve read that the best way to keep a Pierburg carbutettor worfing is to check the sealing and vacuum on the base.  Any further recommendations on this?  Will it be the same for Jikov Carb?

Edited by automobilova

4 hours ago, RicardoM said:

t is obvious from your lengthy replies that you have a lot of free time and for you it is entertaining to kill it with all kind of unrelated stories. When I say "unrelated" that refers to the subject, or the title of a topic, useful for those who search for advice.

Physician, first heal yourself!

• Groan 1

4 hours ago, automobilova said:

Ricardo, do youu still keep your Felicia?

I ve read that the best way to keep a Pierburg carbutettor worfing is to check the sealing and vacuum on the base.  Any further recommendations on this?  Will it be the same for Jikov Carb?

I remember you from several years ago. Columbia is one of the South American countries where Skoda Felicia found a good home.

Yes, of course I still have my Felicia. You can see it in my signature, aside to my Tiguan.

Jikov 28-32 carburetors mounted on Skoda Felicia and Favorit are 'clones' of Pierburg 2E3.

I'd say that a mandatory condition for a Jikov carburetor to work properly is to have a perfect vacuum seal under the throttle flap. When the original rubber seal started to rot from gasoline and high heat, I had a hard time finding a reliable replacement. I ended up using liquid seal from Viktor Reinz (Reinzosil) to patch any vacuum leak of the new aftermarket rubber gaskets.

The rest of advice about the carburetor are in a PDF document issued by another former member of this forum, masster.

7 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I promise you that from now on I will not read anything longer than 2 rows coming from you.

I have been doing that for a long time, just skimming through to (sometimes) find anything of relevance.

Another point regarding this sub forum is that most of the contributors and those seeking help are doing so in a second language, having to translate and wade through all the irrelevant verbosity is an ordeal they should not be submitted to.

And I make my apologies to you all for having to read and understand this.

7 hours ago, RicardoM said:

It is obvious from your lengthy replies that you have a lot of free time and for you it is entertaining to kill it with all kind of unrelated stories. When I say "unrelated" that refers to the subject, or the title of a topic, useful for those who search for advice. Right now, if somebody needs technical help in this section, (many people used to come to this forum from tens of foreign countries), he/she has a hard time hunting for relevant information about his/her issue. Why is that? Because one has to read your novels about nothing and everything. I find that disrespectful towards all those who own a Skoda Felicia/Favorit. The testimony for my opinion are thousands of specific replies and guides I wrote for them, often with schematics, annotated photos, illustrations, and videos. For them I got in return their thanks and appreciation.

As an example, everything went well in this topic, until you felt the need to be unnecessary sarcastic towards me for the simple reason you felt hurt for somebody else's feelings. Nobody asked you anything, nobody complained, nobody mandated you as his attorney, on the contrary, the OP thanked me for helping him with information from my very large technical library gathered in so many years working as a car mechanic. This forum is neither a contest for who is more sensitive, motherly, or woke, nor a platform for defending people deprived of their human rights. The OP was happy he got help in a forum totally unrelated to his car, although there are many SAAB forums out there. I have every right to express my dissatisfaction when those in need of help are wasting my time providing contradicting, incomplete, or plain wrong information. It is like going to a car garage and saying that you need your car fixed because the engine has a lack of power, the mechanic takes your word for it because the client knows better, then he verifies your claim, reports the engine is working perfectly, then you say "oh, I wanted in fact to say that the left blinker is not working all the time". Except that in real life they have to pay for extra diagnose time.

So let's cut the crap and focus on technical matters, not in nursing the souls of deeply troubled people.

I am sure you will take the opportunity to write a new novel in reply, without agreeing to any of my opinions. That is why I promise you that from now on I will not read anything longer than 2 rows coming from you.

Thank you for your very lengthy reply.

And for your last sentence.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And I make my apologies to you all for having to read and understand this.

You have enough to apologise about from your posts without worrying about apologising for others.

And please try to be more accurate in your skim reading in future before you both with your replies to or about me, thank you.

SP-EL company makes good, modernized products indeed. While i am a big fan for most of their products for many years, I have my doubts about their dural adapter. The weak point is the cardboard gaskets. Probably that was the reason you added information about flexoid. Thank you for the information. I didn't test it yet. I will order a few samples. I had clients who accepted to make Viton rubber gaskets for them. It is the most reliable solution by far, except the price is higher.

I am sure the dural adapter has perfect, parallel faces compared to cheap aftermarket adapters. But there is a catch. From my experience, the base of the carburetor and the flange of the intake manifold are warped after 20+ years of operation. No cardboard gasket will seal that area exposed to high temperature, fuel, and vibrations, unless you take the extra effort to rectify both surfaces mentioned before. That is why I mentioned Reinzosil as my first option. It allowed me to avoid any extra labor because a liquid gasket will conform to any surface irregularities.

39 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Viton rubber gaskets

can you source viton sheet?????

39 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

No cardboard gasket will seal that area exposed to high temperature

well you can play with thickness in that case, or give them a quick decking with sandpaper and glass

24 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Loads of places in UK but care is need on quality, use and supplier (just ask Titan Motorsport).

40 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Well, yeah. https://www.gteek.com/genuine-vitonr-rubber-sheets

43 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

well you can play with thickness in that case, or give them a quick decking with sandpaper and glass

Trust me, it is anything but quick. It takes a lot of elbow grease. I am not young (immortal 😅) anymore like you.

1 hour ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I meant locally non the less I see some of the sheets are 60ShA and above which is not ideal with such  low clamping loads 

Not locally. But they have any hardness you want, if you have the right money.