Electronic Parking Brake affects takeoff acceleration

Hi. I drive a SS3 2016 and I face the following situation:
I start the engine, release the EPB, put the selector in Drive, take my foot off the brake, the engine revs to 1000rpm and the departure is smooth. I stop in the parking lot, activate the EPB, put the gear selector in P, the engine continues to run, I do my job and get back in the car. I release the EPB, I put the selector in Drive, I take my foot off the brake so I can drive off, the engine no longer revs at 1000rpm and the car starts very hard, sometimes the engine stops... a little help please? thank you

Hi, 

When you stop in the parking lot, if you put the gear selector in P first and then activate the EPB, do you still face the same thing when you come back to the car and try to leave?

@Geox978Welcome to the forum.

Which engine does your car have that manages to stall when in D? 

What RPM is the engine at when started and in P, and what is it at with your foot on the Brake and moved to D before touch the accelerator? 

It is not the same in all weathers is it, and if the AC is on, or cold and lots of load on the battery is it? 

How many miles / km on the car and when were the brakes last serviced?

Why do you manually release the EPB? I don’t touch the brake system; it releases when it goes into D and I drive off and fully activates the brake when it goes back into P. 

• Like 3

Can you see if the brake lights are still active when the engine doesn't increase in RPM? 

Maybe you have a sticky brake pedal switch? 

Is ur "Auto-Hold" active?

It might b set to b too Early.

Don't confuse that with the EPB.

Also, u don't need to activate/deactivate the EPB each time - it does it automatically.

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

Also, u don't need to activate/deactivate the EPB each time - it does it automatically.

The first time I drove a car with EPB, a rental Seat, I admit, I had no idea WTF I was doing. I kept pulling the switch up at lights, pushing it down when I pulled away. I had no idea it automatically went on and off. I also couldn’t for the life of me workout how the cruise worked, so I downloaded the manual and that also put me straight on the brakiness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bap33 said:

We often come back the RTFM acronym... 😂

It happened to me recently... 

😁👍🏻 Happened to me today. I had to remove the rear bumper from SWMBO Focus today, as we’re getting water ingress again through the welding seams. Undid the four plastic expanding rivets and the ones in the wheel arch and it refused to move. So NOW I decide to look at the Haynes manual and find there are two bolts behind the wheel arch liner! 🙄 Finally got it off, removed the old sealing compound and replaced it with guttering sealant this time. Hopefully that’ll last a bit longer. 

3 hours ago, numskull said:

😁👍🏻 Happened to me today. I had to remove the rear bumper from SWMBO Focus today, as we’re getting water ingress again through the welding seams. Undid the four plastic expanding rivets and the ones in the wheel arch and it refused to move. So NOW I decide to look at the Haynes manual and find there are two bolts behind the wheel arch liner! 🙄 Finally got it off, removed the old sealing compound and replaced it with guttering sealant this time. Hopefully that’ll last a bit longer. 

Is it the same version of focus with all the dodgy door seals? I see so many of them 😁

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

Is it the same version of focus with all the dodgy door seals? I see so many of them 😁

Don’t think we’ve had an issue with those. It’s a 2003 2.0 Ghia Zetec with a genuine 68k. It was a runout ex FMC Management car, so the parts bins were being run down, so it’s very well loaded vs a standard Ghia; climate, sunroof, leather, heated front seats, electric windows all round and central closing. 

On 06/01/2024 at 03:03, Bap33 said:

Hi, 

When you stop in the parking lot, if you put the gear selector in P first and then activate the EPB, do you still face the same thing when you come back to the car and try to leave?

@Bap33 yes…. I faced with the same thing…

On 07/01/2024 at 02:48, JR RS said:

Is ur "Auto-Hold" active?

It might b set to b too Early.

Don't confuse that with the EPB.

@JR RS , @numskullI don’t use the Auto-Hold. In parking lot, I like very smooth departure.

No matter what procedure you use to drive off, the engine should not stall.

There must be a problem like the brakes sticking or a problem with the mechanism for the EPB..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

No matter what procedure you use to drive off, the engine should not stall.

There must be a problem like the brakes sticking or a problem with the mechanism for the EPB..

@Gabbo on VCDS are no errors stored

For me, this would indicate something like binding brakepads or perhaps a sticky switch which would not have directly a diagnostic because is difficult to diagnose a fault state

3 hours ago, Geox978 said:

@JR RS , @numskullI don’t use the Auto-Hold. In parking lot, I like very smooth departure.

You can tune the Auto-Hold behavior with VCDS. There are 3 possible settings: Early / Normal (default) / Late

This modify the way the brakes disengage upon acceleration. They will release early / normal / late.

Here is the mod:

03-Brakes > 16-Security Access : 11966 > 10-Adaptation

- Select channel "IDE05055-Hydraulic brake assistant"

- Change value to "Early" for smoother starts.

• Love it! 1

@Gabbo, @Bap33, @JR RS, @numskull  

It also happens with Auto-Hold. I have moments when I want to smooth departure, but the engine shutted off. The message "Move to P and start the car manually" appears on the dashboard.
    When I don't use Auto-Hold, but apply EPB when needed, the engine does not rev at 1000rpm and the rpm tends to drop, thus the engine stops...
     !!!! If I apply EPB (don't use Auto-Hold), turn off the engine and lock the car, on the next departure the engine revs to 1000rpm, but the car tends to pull away aggressively (in Drive), even if I take my foot off the brake lightly.

I'm not familiar with the superb but if I understand right the EPB uses the rear brakes? 

It really sounds to me like the brakes are binding or sticking/not properly releasing & causing the harsh pull away & engine stalling.

The stalling is worrying though because an automatic should never really stall.

I'd expect the clutch to open/slip to prevent it..??

Perhaps it suggests a deeper problem with the DSG? 

If you turn off AutoHold & just do some stops & pull always using only the brake pedal manually with your foot, do you have the same problem? 

Do the brake lights switch off immediately when you release the brake with your foot? 

46 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

Perhaps it suggests a deeper problem with the DSG? 

If you turn off AutoHold & just do some stops & pull always using only the brake pedal manually with your foot, do you have the same problem? 

Do the brake lights switch off immediately when you release the brake with your foot? 

@Gabbo 

If I do stops without using Auto-Hold and EPB, the engine revs to 1000rpm and the weeding is very smooth.
My DSG shifts very smoothly, I'd say no issues there, but who knows?
If I take my foot off the brake suddenly, the lights go off with a lag, not immediately.

I get something similar on a cold start; if I pull away then lift off the accelerator while still moving only slowly, for example to make a tight turn leaving a parking space, then the engine will occasionally stall. It only happens when I drive away immediately after starting the engine, nothing to do with the brakes.