Thoughts on Superb 4x4 280

I’m looking to replace my (second) Mk1 Fabia estate for ULEZ reasons. 

I’m drawn to another Fabia but in the past have had bigger cars  like 7 Series so I’d adjust to the Superb size.  I really like the dash/interior. 

The performance I see is fantastic for a big car with the high output 2.0 petrol. I guess the engine is like a slightly detuned Golf R. 

Thoughts on a used petrol Superb with DSG/4x4, especially with a few miles on it. Quite good used proposition or a potential liability?! 

Thanks 

Edited by silver50

So my reply (as an owner of a Superb 4x4 280) is in two parts:

1st the car; superb is the word, yes to describe the Superb. Quality interior with plenty of space and certainly in Sportline trim, a modern feel. Lots of nice touches like the umbrella in the door, ice scraper behind the fuel flap. Having had Audi previously it did not feel like a downgrade and it feels a step up from the Octavia I've also owned. Handling is secure and ride is good but it certainly feels like a big car in the corners and lacks precision. This all of course applies to any engine option of the Superb.

2nd the EA888 TSi engine; lots of power, refined and pulls well throughout the rev range. Mostly I drive it like a limousine but knock it into sport and it flies. Fuel consumption is, I guess, what you expect from a 280 BHP petrol, I average around 30 mpg on a run, have seen 40 mpg on a long gentle summer outing, but now in January on shorter trips it will be low 20's mpg.

As many of the official reviews state, it is a slightly odd combination, but for me ticks the right boxes. Buy with your head and the 190 TDi 4x4 has everything except the blistering acceleration.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scottishscout said:

So my reply (as an owner of a Superb 4x4 280) is in two parts:

1st the car; superb is the word, yes to describe the Superb. Quality interior with plenty of space and certainly in Sportline trim, a modern feel. Lots of nice touches like the umbrella in the door, ice scraper behind the fuel flap. Having had Audi previously it did not feel like a downgrade and it feels a step up from the Octavia I've also owned. Handling is secure and ride is good but it certainly feels like a big car in the corners and lacks precision. This all of course applies to any engine option of the Superb.

2nd the EA888 TSi engine; lots of power, refined and pulls well throughout the rev range. Mostly I drive it like a limousine but knock it into sport and it flies. Fuel consumption is, I guess, what you expect from a 280 BHP petrol, I average around 30 mpg on a run, have seen 40 mpg on a long gentle summer outing, but now in January on shorter trips it will be low 20's mpg.

As many of the official reviews state, it is a slightly odd combination, but for me ticks the right boxes. Buy with your head and the 190 TDi 4x4 has everything except the blistering acceleration.

Had mine since new in 2015 and appears to have had all the usual faults if you have a search round all documented on here. Most expensive would have been 2 new tailgate struts followed by new water pump.

DSG has been faultless 2015 has 6 speed.

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

Best car I’ve ever had, and I’ve had many exotics having worked in car rental for 25 odd years.
It’s quiet (especially so since I changed the tyres from P7’s to Conti All Season) refined, very comfortable and as the 2nd owner (1st is a member here) I was lucky that he ordered it with many extras. And yes, it’s fast… VERY fast. With 276bhp, the 0-60 is circa 5/6 seconds and it’s restricted to 155. I’ve fitted a Racechip GTS Black so it’s now pushing 320bhp and ‭331‬lbft torque. Unfortunately, I do a 4 mile round trip commute and I get 24mpg. But I have had 39 on a 200 mile run. It’s a keeper especially as I believe it’s going to be a sort after classic, given it practically and rarity. If you find a nice one and you can afford it, don’t hesitate and you’ll miss it. 
PS - as others have suffered, I’ve had a failed water pump, which is a known weakness on the EA888 engine. Also had a failed ABS sensor and a leak on the Aircon condenser. Thats it, in 45,000 miles. I love it. 

Edited by numskull
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, silver50 said:

Thanks for your input. Is reliability pretty good overall? How about the DSG's, is it a 7 speed DSG?

The later Superbs use the Wet DSG-7, which is reliable and different to the troublesome Dry DSG-7, used in lower power engines.

Before that, the Wet DSG-6 was used, which is also reliable.

Many thanks for the above replies and info. Genuinely appreciated. 

if can ask another question being that they’re quite a big heavy car, how are they on suspension components wearing out?

Following on re the DSG am I right the DSG really must be serviced? I’m asking some of this because on price it’d more than likely be a car with some miles on it.

I just sold my old 280tsi L&K. Guess what, I bought a new 280tsi! That tells you something! I think it is a great car.

Old one had done 102,000 miles. No issues with the engine or DSG, still worked as new. I changed the DSG oil every 40,000 miles, not difficult although the oil is expensive. Issues I had were:

Haldex pump packed up at 20,000, fixed under warranty

One wheel bearing noisy at 25,000, fixed under warranty

All 3 suspension level sensors failed at various times, affects the DCC and the headlights.

3 springs broken at various times.

1 front damper leaked all its oil at about 70,000 miles. An expensive fix

Evap canister control valve failed (petrol sometimes leaked out of filler) - cheap fix.

That perhaps sounds a lot but mostly it was cheap and easy to fix. I think the several suspension issues could be put down to mostly driving briskly on Scottish country roads, lots of salt, plus bumping around the gliding club airfield.

But for me the main thing was the flawless engine and DSG. And mine was an L&K fully loaded with every gadget. All the gadgets still worked when I sold it.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, silver50 said:

Following on re the DSG am I right the DSG really must be serviced? I’m asking some of this because on price it’d more than likely be a car with some miles on it.

Yes, wet clutch DSG needs regular servicing - every 60,000kms.

dry clutch DSG is sealed, and hence not serviced.

You can’t skip on servicing these cars. The DSG, Haldex and rear diff must be serviced as per the manufactures specs as the minimum requirement. I have the engine and DSG oil changed annually given the short daily commute I do. Expensive I know, but it’s worth it. 
Incidentally, you’re worried the 280 is a heavy car? Well, the 280 is 160lbs heavier than a MK7 DSG Golf R. 

• Like 1

I love mine. best car I have ever owned. 5 years old now and will keep until I have to change. 

• Like 1

Looks like everyone with one is a happy bunny!

Another question if I may, is getting the upgraded sound system pretty much just a L&K feature or do quite a lot of Superb's have this?

two years old table,

when i had to choose what next after 7 years with 2016. Superb Mk3 TSI 2.0 220ps FWD

Superb Arteon Tarraco Audi A6 BMW 5 V90 CC Enyaq
exterior design 1 2 -2 2 2 0  
interior design 1 2 0 1 3 1  
noises on uneven surfaces -4   -2 1 2 1  
background noise on smooth -1   -2 -1 1 1  
gear shifter functionality 1 -2 1 0 -1 -1  
physical control keys 2   1 -2 2 -1  
cooler under the armrest 2 - - - - -  
trunk capacity 2 2 0 -1 -1 1  
audio sounding -1   -2 0 1 2  
Radio RDS text display 0 0 0 0 0 -2  
variable suspension stiffness 1 1 1 too expensive opt. too expensive opt. 1  
discount policy -2 -1 3 -2 1 2  
crime rating 2 -2 3 -3 -3 -1  
curb weight 1 0 -2 0 0 -3  
affordable price -1 -3 0 -5 -4 -2 -10
after sales 0 1 -1 2 2 1  

rating: 2 0 0 -11 0 -1  

€€€: 46 62 43 70 65 57 75

check links in my signature, i had problems, but I have never stuck on the road.

Yes, I Would prefer Taycan :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silver50 said:

Looks like everyone with one is a happy bunny!

Another question if I may, is getting the upgraded sound system pretty much just a L&K feature or do quite a lot of Superb's have this?

Canton system was standard on L&K.
It’s the best OE system I’ve heard. (Oh and mine has a TV tuner too but that was discontinued as standard from April ‘16 build). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, numskull said:

Canton system was standard on L&K.

was!

in 2022. even Amundsen 8" was a paid option + €390
had to ignore Columbus 10" because extra €1310 and missing physical volume control button

I’ve had both the diesel and the petrol 4x4. Petrol is so much more refined BUT my diesel was mapped 235bhp 540nm and was better low down. I picked up the 280 and thought I’d made a mistake swapping because it felt slower than the mapped diesel one. 
HOWEVER I have the 272 now with 380bhp 560nm and would not go back to diesel. Unless they brought out a BITDI version like the Passat. 
The 272 now is gorgeous to drive. Crunches the miles silently and very few issues just coming up to 100k miles. Haldex service every 20k. DSG every 40k 

suspension was floaty so koni special actives and h&r springs sorted that. 
you’ll struggle to get 38-40. On a run and average over 3k miles I’m on 32 but it does get worked 😂

It says something about the superb & 280 that almost everyone seems to have problems that needed to be rectified, some at reasonable expense, and yet everyone loves it so much they would buy a new one tomorrow!!

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

Id echo everything said so far.  Some common issues, water pump, DSG selector and creaking bushes, but for the price,/ space/ size its great.

It can waft or be silly. And with the 4x4 that gap on the roundabout can be yours in all weathers. 

It is big and even indy servicing adds up (but same on all cars with the bits)  it's not a sports car, and likes a drink around town. 8 mile commute in Birmingham is between 24 and 28 mpg. Depends on how many times I have to stop. On an A road drive high 30's , French motorways loaded up low 30's. But at 16 miles a day I'm not bothered. 

• Like 1

Great input, thanks. Next step I'd like a test drive of a superb estate just to see my general impression. I noted yesterday that interestingly it's shorter in overall length than 2016 onwards Mercedes E Class estate. Both fairly big of course.

I've just traded my 2021 280 Sportline+ for a new L&K 190. It had <16k on the clock and was very clean both in and out, forget precise name of colour but I think it was Race Blue, very nice. Not sure if dealer will be selling it themselves or moving on elsewhere but there's at least one great used 280 out there looking for a new owner.

Incidentally I was pleasantly surprised at how nippy the 190 is compared to the 280, certainly fast enough for this old man. Doesn't stick to the road like the 4x4 280 did but I'm happy enough.

1 hour ago, Paulinkeighley said:

I've just traded my 2021 280 Sportline+ for a new L&K 190. It had <16k on the clock and was very clean both in and out, forget precise name of colour but I think it was Race Blue, very nice. Not sure if dealer will be selling it themselves or moving on elsewhere but there's at least one great used 280 out there looking for a new owner.

Incidentally I was pleasantly surprised at how nippy the 190 is compared to the 280, certainly fast enough for this old man. Doesn't stick to the road like the 4x4 280 did but I'm happy enough.

Is the 190 a TDI?