New advanced weaponry we are now seeing - LASERs and hypersonic missiles

Seems a quantum leap in some areas of military weaponry......

Then there is Russia's hypersonic missiles.....

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

More details com out about the Jackal drone....

One annoying bit by the seemingly American presenter is their pronunciation of Thales.  It is not a Yorkshie company but French and pronunced as if it was spelt Tallis.    

Edited by lol-lol
  • Thanks 1

Yes pi55pronounced but neither the French nor the English pronounce Thales in the manner you describe, the UK owned businesses always said it like "thank you Les" 'Ta Les" and the French doing the same but correctly pronouncing the "a" as in "Tannin".

Its probably yet another AI voice over, I hear loads of mistakes like that.

• Like 2

The United States of the UK will sell them to the likes of israel were it will not change the face of the battle field but be used to kill and main non-combatant's.  

As they will sell / supply to Saudi Arabia and any others that the USA support no matter who they want to massacre as long as it is suiting them.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yes pi55pronounced but neither the French nor the English pronounce Thales in the manner you describe, the UK owned businesses always said it like "thank you Les" 'Ta Les" and the French doing the same but correctly pronouncing the "a" as in "Tannin".

Its probably yet another AI voice over, I hear loads of mistakes like that.

My company up until earlier this week,  Bolloré  https://www.howtopronounce.com/french/bolloré   and I have heard some really odd pronunciations.  

At least CEVA (Paris HQ) and CMA, (Marseille HQ) are easier.

Greek father of geometry, Thales, from which the French Aerospace,  Defence etc company is presumably named, is pronounced ....  

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+pronounce+thales+in+greek&sca_esv=7e7e1d1c411bb5bf&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB942GB942&sxsrf=ACQVn08pOEx9urhlvqcc3wgXEKyTejum5w%3A1709481152831&ei=wJzkZfSsMoShkdUP8r-G2A4&ved=0ahUKEwj0jPXGudiEAxWEUKQEHfKfAesQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=how+to+pronounce+thales+in+greek&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiIGhvdyB0byBwcm9ub3VuY2UgdGhhbGVzIGluIGdyZWVrMgUQIRigATIFECEYnwUyBRAhGJ8FSMZPUO8FWLBIcAF4AJABAJgBkgGgAZYVqgEEMjAuObgBA8gBAPgBAZgCGKACmRLCAggQABiABBiwA8ICDhAAGIAEGIoFGIYDGLADwgIKECMYgAQYigUYJ8ICCxAAGIAEGIoFGIYDwgILEAAYgAQYigUYkQLCAgYQABgWGB7CAggQABgWGB4YD8ICBRAAGIAEwgIKEAAYgAQYFBiHAsICBxAAGIAEGArCAgcQIRgKGKABmAMAiAYBkAYEkgcEMTUuOQ&sclient=gws-wiz-serp&safe=active&ssui=on#kpvalbx=_0JzkZe-DD4mrkdUP6_uxmAw_32

Some of them will hunt combatants in packs. There will be no escape from them.

Of course they don't have to be used by just the military.

These would be particularly useful for police work, I should imagine, but good for looking for people lost too.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2024 at 11:22, lol-lol said:

More details com out about the Jackal drone....

One annoying bit by the seemingly American presenter is their pronunciation of Thales.  It is not a Yorkshie company but French and pronunced as if it was spelt Tallis.    

"Expect to see a lot more Jackals in the skies of the future."

Well isn't that a cheery thought?

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

"Expect to see a lot more Jackals in the skies of the future."

Well isn't that a cheery thought?

Certainly my industry of logistics will expect to see drones delivering letters and small parcels in the future.

The drones will be the real game changer. Lazers and hypersonic nukes are too expensive to make a huge impact.
But dones are (in military terms) cheap and effective.

Russia's much hyped Kinzhal hasn't really turnd out to be all that effective. The US made partriot system has had more than a few sucesses against it.
Lazers sound good but right now you need a pretty big platform and support mechanism for them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/03/2024 at 16:39, Aspman said:

Russia's much hyped Kinzhal hasn't really turnd out to be all that effective

thats because Russia lied about what it is - claiming hyper sonic cruise missile when its just ballistic thus easy to track and predict. like so much of Russias claims... SU57 is about  as stealthy as a C130 (exaggeration for effect) but they bill it as more capable than an F22. and they only have like 10 of them so thell never see an actual mission.

Lasers are have too many uncontrolable factors that reduce their effectiveness at the ranges air combat take place.

But I agree drones and the AI wingman drones being developed alongside the NGAD programme are going to be massive capability shifts.

I have just seen images of prototype 10 of the Challenger 3 - from the view I saw, it looks like there is a big shot trap in the centre-front of the turret. 

7 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I have just seen images of prototype 10 of the Challenger 3 - from the view I saw, it looks like there is a big shot trap in the centre-front of the turret. 

So you think the slot under the mantlet will somehow prove to be more of a vulnerability on Challenger 3 than it was on 1 or 2?

6 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

So you think the slot under the mantlet will somehow prove to be more of a vulnerability on Challenger 3 than it was on 1 or 2?

It does look like a vulnerable point - I can see that it's the drivers position view-port, but I'd have thought there would be an advantage in considering eliminating it on a new mark. 

Edited by Warrior193
typo

Your username makes sense now!

5 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

It does look like a vulnerable point - I can see that it's the drivers position view-port, but I'd have thought there would be an advantage in considering eliminating it on a new mark. 

Does look like a widely obvious shot trap but tanks possible it's accounted for in the expected tactics. Can't really get rid of the periscope since it's all too easy to disable camera systems and external optics. Just ask the T72 crew that were messed up by a Bradley.

wonder how many