Opening bonet with dead battery

Hi, I need some help please. I saw some earlier posts on this but those were from few years ago so just wanted to ask if there is any update. 

I am in UK and My skoda has a flat battery. I can use key to manually open driver side door. However the bonet release handle is on passenger side. Car was centrally locked so passenger side, socan't be opened from inside. With passenger side door closed there is not space to pull bonet release handle. 

Any suggestions please? I will call RAC but not sure what can they do? 

Thanks. J

Any reason you just can't reach over to the passenger side and pull the lever ?  I must be missing something here ?
More info - in fact I've looked at some videos, yes maybe it is a bit tight with the door shut

Edited by aubrey
More info

10 minutes ago, RoddersUK said:

12v jumper pack through the cigarette port?

Sorry for daft question but is it just a case of plugging in the jumper in port or anything else needs doing? Don't know if this can damage any wiring.. 

1 minute ago, aubrey said:

Any reason you just can't reach over to the passenger side and pull the lever ?  I must be missing something here ?

I know it's crazy hut the design is such that the lever is very tight against passenger door and won't really move without door open.

8 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

reach over from the drivers seat and open the passenger door then pull the bonnet release as normal

Seemples :)

I know it sounds simple but it's not possible. When car is remotely locked, it uses dead bolts and then it can't be opened from inside..

Asking these questions makes me think if I am stupid and missing something but it's Skoda who have messed this up in design when converting from LH drive to RH. 

• Like 2

carefully pull it outwards towards you as you pull it forwards?

or

Grab the outer of the cable and pull it towards the engine, the inner cable will remain with the handle?

Or

disconnect the whole mechanism from the side and pull it then?

It is helpful to have someone pushing down slightly on the bonnet to take pressure off the other end.

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, xyz321 said:

I know it sounds simple but it's not possible. When car is remotely locked, it uses dead bolts and then it can't be opened from inside..

Asking these questions makes me think if I am stupid and missing something but it's Skoda who have messed this up in design when converting from LH drive to RH. 

so if you lock the car remotely with a child in it then if there's a say fire and it cuts the main battery cable they can't unlock the doors from the inside??

That doesn't sound right

Thats what deadlocking is, only the hard of thinking would deadlock a car with a child inside, its bad enough that some with a faulty door lock microswitch do it themselves.

48 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

carefully pull it outwards (inwards) towards you as you pull it forwards (backwards)?

This is the way to do it, the lever will flex enough, I have used my wording in brackets but I'm sure the OP will have understood and was trying to do this anyway but did not want to risk breaking the handle.

Editted, this hard of thinking person managed to deadlock themselves in their car in the B&Q car park believing (thankfully incorrectly) that the keys were still outside, the alarm was going off but I could not open any door or window.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Groan 1

45 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

@RoddersUK gave you the solution.  Just do it. :)

Thanks. I appreciate it maybe the answer but I wasn't sure if it's as simple as plugging a 12V charger into socket and so asked a follow up to @RoddersUK suggestion earlier. 

It's a known issue. 12V battery pack into the lighter socket. Open central locking, open passenger door , proceed as normal

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Pull the lever out towards you and you can squeeze it past the door speaker ,it will work 👍

This is the best advice, quick and easy. I'd have to do this if my car was in my garage with the passenger door almost touching the wall. 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 12:59, Winston_Woof said:

so if you lock the car remotely with a child in it then if there's a say fire and it cuts the main battery cable they can't unlock the doors from the inside??

That doesn't sound right

This is why you get the 'CHECK SAFELOCK' warning on the dashboard when you get out the car.

Basically telling you when you lock the car people cant get out or in.

• Like 2

On 22/04/2024 at 12:59, Winston_Woof said:

That doesn't sound right

Deadlocks were introduced in the 90's along with immobilisers to combat rapidly increasing levels of car theft. Generally this was successful - well until KESSY introduced anyway.  You get a dash warning on turning off when about to leave the car - it is however usually possible on many VAG cars to lock doors without deadlocks by double pressing the lock button, this usually disables most of the alarm as  well.  

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ApertureS said:

This is why you get the 'CHECK SAFELOCK' warning on the dashboard when you get out the car.

Basically telling you when you lock the car people cant get out or in.

Its only telling people that are mind readers or champions of cryptic crossword clues.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Its only telling people that are mind readers or champions of cryptic crossword clues.

Good point - I myself thought I had a fault when I first got my Superb II and asked the dealer - doh! As far as I remember my 2001 Octavia and 2003 Superb didn't have such a message when they were deadlocked.