MySkoda (Essentials): No longer providing either data or control

As of yesterday evening, the MySkoda Essentials app (on an android phone) has become useless:

• The My Octavia screen contains nothing but an image of my car and, if I swipe on it, a "processing" icon that does nothing (other than, very occasionally, flashes a message in tiny text that's gone before I can read a word of it);
  • The Inspect screen asks (with no way for me to answer) "How is your Skoda?" (plus the useless processing icon);
  • The Navigate screen asks (with no way for me to answer) "Where are you heading?" (plus the useless processing icon);
  • The More screen asks (with no way for me to answer) "Looking for more?" (plus the useless processing icon) and a "settings" icon that does work but the settings it lists have nothing to do with what it displays (or not) to me.

Apparently, the MySkoda service is not down generally, but it is for me. Previously, it's worked fine.

I only really use the app to see the state of the main battery's charge (the car is a 2023 iV) and to switch the charging on and off (I use a conventional 13A plug to charge the car).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the app?

I thought this had been superseded by the MySkoda app a while back anyway. They've probably shut it down now.

47 minutes ago, DamageLimitation said:

As of yesterday evening, the MySkoda Essentials app (on an android phone) has become useless:

• The My Octavia screen contains nothing but an image of my car and, if I swipe on it, a "processing" icon that does nothing (other than, very occasionally, flashes a message in tiny text that's gone before I can read a word of it);
  • The Inspect screen asks (with no way for me to answer) "How is your Skoda?" (plus the useless processing icon);
  • The Navigate screen asks (with no way for me to answer) "Where are you heading?" (plus the useless processing icon);
  • The More screen asks (with no way for me to answer) "Looking for more?" (plus the useless processing icon) and a "settings" icon that does work but the settings it lists have nothing to do with what it displays (or not) to me.

Apparently, the MySkoda service is not down generally, but it is for me. Previously, it's worked fine.

I only really use the app to see the state of the main battery's charge (the car is a 2023 iV) and to switch the charging on and off (I use a conventional 13A plug to charge the car).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the app?

Just checked mine and all the screens are blank!

ms.jpg

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I thought this had been superseded by the MySkoda app a while back anyway. They've probably shut it down now.

I only bought the car in November 2023** and have been using the app since then without any problems, including getting updates, until last night.

** - It was not on order.  My Mk3 was in for its MOT in early November and I asked when imports of the iV might restart. I was told an iV had arrived that morning, but it wasn't clear whether it was a replacement demonstrator or one for sale. Whichever it was, I test drove the existing demo car a week later and had bought and drove away the new one less than a fortnight after that. 😀

Edited by DamageLimitation

I am running both My Skoda and My Skoda Essentials apps on my iPhone and both still receiving data from the servers.  Possibly it's a temporary glitch for Android users but I would recommend downloading the My Skoda App as well and trying that out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spcdust said:

but I would recommend downloading the My Skoda App as well and trying that out.

At first glance, that seems to be working. 😀

Many thanks. 😀

2 hours ago, ItalianJob said:

Just checked mine and all the screens are blank!

ms.jpg

Same here. Been like it for past 2 days.

My Karoq is the same, been like it for at least 2 days. Just a picture of the car with a status of Activated but nothing on any other screen. To be fair, I don't use it much, and I'm not sure if I've used it since the last update of the app on 19th March.

Same here on two Android phones, started two days ago, and not related to app update. I can login to skoda connect site and there seems to be all fine

I can only assume it’s Android specific, works fine on my iPhone.

Is the web portal ok for your car/account? If so, perhaps reset the app or reinstall it.

Skoda Essentials same as others have reported - Activated, image of a car, nowt else. "My Skoda" app however is all working fine and as expected.

Uninstalled essentials, seems it's been terminated!

I've just updated my "Essentails" app, and it's now working...

...but unless the function has been moved to a different screen, it doesn't currently provide a way of either seeing the charge in the battery (it does give me the current "cruising range" in miles, but so does the MySkoda app, with the charge) or a way of switching the charging on or off. (This may or may not be because I've been controlling that -- it's charging now -- using the MySkoda app.)

With regard to the MySkoda app, I can set the units used to 1) Metric, 2) Imperial (UK) and 3) imperial (US) and I've changed it from (1) to (2) but in the status for fuel consumption per distance, it only shows US gallons per mile. (Okay, I can work out what that means in miles per UK gallon in my head, but it seems odd to offer both imperial units as options while only displaying one of them.)

This afternoon, I was notified that my "Essentials" app had an update available. Now installed, it seems to be much like it was before it became mostly useless...

...so I can only assume that the earlier version(s) had a bug that may have been elusive and transient (i.e. no one knew what in the software was causing the problem, and as its appearances were not predictable, it was hard to pin down), and potentially serious. After all, why else withdraw the app/make it unusable for more than a week?