New Octavia VRS TDI test drive report

Shifty

Having driven both, I really prefer the diesel. What a car! I don't care that it costs a fraction more or that the residuals will be much the same. I think the car is the muts nuts. Lets hope that people won't go by the reviews of others and actually test drive this car for themselves. I'm delighted that the petrol vRS owners think that theirs are the best.

That is their opinion.

My point about toys was that the thing comes with a lot less equipment than a PD140 elegance, and costs more. So by the time I have picked up the options I wanted to add things are getting well over the wrong side of 20k and straying into golf land.

I agree, having owned both the 140 tdi and now the 2.0tfsi, I really liked the 170 engine. I found it alot smoother and also loved the way it takes of in 3rd

I drive a 110TDI and before that a DTurbo 306 and a NA Diesel and a couple of petrol cars (also NA).

The VRS TDI has a totally brutal power delivery, very much like that of the DTurbo, only with a lot more grunt and you really do get shoved into the back of the seat.

My main complaint with most newer diesels and this IMHO includes the PD140 is that they drive too much like a petrol car. The PD170 drives like a true, old school turbo diesel, and will fall into the love it or hate it catagory.

I would advise people to drive it for themselves. No offence to Shifty, but I think he looks for something different in a car to most of the motoring world.

(Since the diesel was launched, we have sold a lot more TDis than TFSi vRS.)

i'm sure it might be better with a remap; 200 bhp then?

that's all the 888 essentially is, a tweaked map (not hybrid or anything like that, no sports exhaust, literally just a remap from a CDTi 120), springs/dampers and brakes.

having said that i still much prefer other cars...

Having driven both' date=' I really prefer the diesel. What a car! I don't care that it costs a fraction more or that the residuals will be much the same. I think the car is the muts nuts. Lets hope that people won't go by the reviews of others and actually test drive this car for themselves. I'm delighted that the petrol vRS owners think that theirs are the best. [/size']

That is their opinion.

I agree :) but it would cost me

No doubt I will give it a go, the scary thing is I might like it better than the TFsi, even more worrying is that swmbo might like it as well :eek:, and at the mo I really can't afford the 4-5k it would cost to change! Besides which We do really like the petrol, there is still plenty of torque (which is alot of what the deisal is about) and the handling is OK for the type of car it is, so why rock the boat.

Bearing in mind that the car shifty drove was also brand'spankin new.. so not really run in yet :rofl:

When i was in my yokel skud dealer on tues, in the hour i was sat there, no less than three suited and booted business type people came in and asked the salesman what the score on the diesel vRS is..

Most company car schemes are diesel only now, so i rekon it will outsell the tfsi quite rapidly..

:)

I don't see the point of the TDi VRS. The spec is clearly not as good as the 2.0 elegance model and a remap of the 2.0 will give 185 bhp and just in excess of 350Nm of torque (according to Jabba).

If you want a sports model, its petrol all the way IMO. I opted for the diesel purely for running costs and am quite happy for the petrol VRS to be quicker, although I kept up easily with Andy2407 (ok, he wasn't trying :P ).

If you want to spend a bit more, get the 2.0 TDI L&K, get it remapped and you'll be well satisfied.

It isn't just the speed, it's the handeling and stopping power that is nice :)

The sports suspension upgrade sorts the second bit out, and the third is done with some decent brake pads/discs.

The tdi vrs is nothing special, the 140 has proven to give out over 160 on a rr, so they are not too dissimilar.

They power delivery is different and VRS stu was saying the VRS has a stiffened body shell. Each to their own, just a shame the VRS comes from classic trim.

it's ambiente trim, and it's the first I've heard of a stiffened body shell. Yes the power delivery is different, thats why it's not rated, the 140 is a lot smoother than the 170 which apparently is very peaky.

I don't see the point of the TDi VRS. The spec is clearly not as good as the 2.0 elegance model and a remap of the 2.0 will give 185 bhp and just in excess of 350Nm of torque (according to Jabba).

But people with company cars generally can't get them remapped , and a remapped elegance will almost certainly be much harder and costly to insure than a standard VRS.

Plus , the pack with the climate , rear leccy windows and jumbo box is only a cheap option -

• 3 weeks later...
It's not really worth the wear on my keyboard to be honest. Duller than something that came first in a being dull competition. lumpy engine, huge power spike, and nose heavy. Like the Fabia vrs, only no where near as fun.

I took it on my private test area, and returned 20mpg. My own Octavia gets 17 mpg on the same run, only going much faster. 130 on a motorway type situation - thats it.

Waste 19k on something else imo.

'...nose heavy...'? You must have a very sensitive butt dyno! The TDI is only 30kg heavier than the FSI. That's less than half the weight of one passenger...

I'm off to look at the tractor powered VRS today, now I've found a dealer who actually has one in. Getting a test drive on a Sunday is like pulling teeth though. I'm keen to see how the 170 lump drives compared to the 130 in my Ibiza.

My head does suggest going for a one year old PD140 Elegence at £12.5k though I do keep peeking at a slightly older 330d I've seen...

What sort of figures does the petrol VRS return on longer runs? I regulary do the A55 into North Wales and at 70 to 80mph my Ibiza will easily return over 50mpg which is much easier on the wallet when you're doing 25,000 miles (or more) a year.

To update, I've driven the PD Octy 2 VRS on 24 hr demo, and LOVED IT.

I thought the engine was smooth, slick and refined... smooth power delivery and good power.

Only thing is, it doenst feel sporty, the engine is almost too smooth.

Handling I thought was great, responsive and agile for a car of its size...

:thumbup: from me.

I managed to sit in the VRS TDI in the showroom at Furrows (Shrewsbury) Skoda, but due to lack of time on my part, had to make do with making chug-chug, brum-brum noises.

Looked good in the race blue but I did feel Skoda have been a bit cheap not providing any steering wheels controls for audio etc. If the Leon FR can have them, why not the VRS? Heck, even the 1.2 Corsa we hired in Ireland for a couple of days had them.

'...nose heavy...'? You must have a very sensitive butt dyno! The TDI is only 30kg heavier than the FSI. That's less than half the weight of one passenger...

Well, I was just giving the feeling I got. I love diesel, so I was disappionted to be honest.