MFD2 is IN...............

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm ordering a GPS/GSM/FM roof aerial come pay day.

That'll be fun............:rolleyes:

And the "brushed aluminium" trim is in as well but it's more like a "black-plastic-trim-attacked-with-a-can-of-silver-spray-paint" look :rofl:

In the Mk1 it works fine high up inside the dash either behind the glovebox or instrument cluster, attached to the metal frame that supports the dash.

Works absolutely perfectly under the dash in My Superb, just sticks to the top of the metal frame by the fuse box (right hand side of dash, same as Fabia/octavia i'm sure)

I'm ordering a GPS/GSM/FM roof aerial come pay day.

Rather you than me! full on headlining out job, massive pain in the a*se for no real gain other than the fact it advertises your navigation system to thieves!

I can't see a slightly different aerial making much difference as loads of cars have them these days for GPS and GSM services.

Besides, I like a challenge ;)

I can't see a slightly different aerial making much difference as loads of cars have them these days for GPS and GSM services.

Besides, I like a challenge ;)

Most of the MFD units you buy on E-bay particularly any that come from poland or countries like that will have been stolen by people who go round looking for cars with GPS roof antennas, thats how they identify the cars to break into without being too suspicious and physically looking in every car!!

Personally I dont think it's worth the hassle of the install and running all the cables, and i'm sure the theft rates are much lower here, but good luck anyway, it's a big job!

Is it 100% definate that this does not work with Audience and 12 speakers cos I've had enough of my Road Angel Navigator and am looking for alternatives

IIRC Neil Caldwell left his car with a dealer to try to get his MFD2 to run with the audience speaker amp setup and after a week they had to give up and said "sorry m8, it can't be done". So it would seem so.

I've got bigger things to worry about now, the price of the Furby vRS with all the trimmings that SWMBO wants in Feb. :eek:

Test drive on Saturday.

re the MFD2 unit, I am tempted to do a mod involving one of those laptop cable locks or something, has anyone thought of this as a security measure as they are in reality very easy to remove.

I know they will smash the window and try to rip it out but they wont get far if it's attached to something solid. :confused:

IIRC Neil Caldwell left his car with a dealer to try to get his MFD2 to run with the audience speaker amp setup and after a week they had to give up and said "sorry m8, it can't be done". So it would seem so.

Is there no way you could remove the factory fit amp and replace it with a traditional amp that looks for 12 volts to switch on?

Might be a bit pricey and a pain in the **** but it might be possible.

Is there no way you could remove the factory fit amp and replace it with a traditional amp that looks for 12 volts to switch on?

Might be a bit pricey and a pain in the **** but it might be possible.

Sounds a bit of a pain in the ar*e and as the car is on lease probably not a good idea.

Bit of a bugger cos I really fancied the MFD2 :(

I am tempted to do a mod involving one of those laptop cable locks or something, has anyone thought of this as a security measure as they are in reality very easy to remove.
Why not swap the standard T20 screws with ones that have security/tamper proof heads - Trox with a central pin, hex head with a central pin, square head, triangular head etc?

see Security Screws & Security Fastenings from UK based Insight Security [found by a quick google - no recommendation to buy from them or anything, but they show what I mean]

Why not swap the standard T20 screws with ones that have security/tamper proof heads - Trox with a central pin, hex head with a central pin, square head, triangular head etc?

see Security Screws & Security Fastenings from UK based Insight Security [found by a quick google - no recommendation to buy from them or anything, but they show what I mean]

Yeah I though of that too, a different one in every screw hole, that'll confuse the ch@v scummers.

I have had a look - they only sell them in boxes of 100's - that's useful as you only need 4 per car....

perhaps another group buy ? or even better sell 24 packs of 4 on eBay - except i bet they only give you one key per box !!!

Can't really complain

1. if the unit was not easy to remove then they would not be on eBay

2. the same goes for installing it into the car - replacing the Stream

??

Gents,

I bought one of these very units off Ebay for my Occy II Elegance. Fitted it and it worked a treat, however I have the premium 12 speaker sound system which it will not work with!!! Trust me there seems no way round this.

I've done a little research on this and whilst I can't commit to being correct without trying, I think this may be possible by recoding the controller with VAG-COM. You need to tell it you have the 'premium' system rather than the 'ordinary' system.

I've done a little research on this and whilst I can't commit to being correct without trying, I think this may be possible by recoding the controller with VAG-COM. You need to tell it you have the 'premium' system rather than the 'ordinary' system.

That could prove difficult, it's in my vRS now :D :D :D but your welcome to nip up and Vag-Com my Xenons Stu:thumbup: ;):D

That could prove difficult, it's in my vRS now :D :D :D

I wasn't meaning that unit in particular as I had guessed someone got it before me :P

but your welcome to nip up and Vag-Com my Xenons Stu:thumbup: ;):D

Surely someone local can do it for you, anyone in your area got a cable?

Is anyone running one of the DVD style ones in an Octy II?

The reason I ask is two fold, firstly I think the mapping may be more up to date(Whats the mapping like on the CD versions?) and secondly I think it can be software coded to output TV on the screen.

I wasn't meaning that unit in particular as I had guessed someone got it before me :P

Surely someone local can do it for you, anyone in your area got a cable?

I'm tempted to pick one up and the see how it goes in mine.... Haven't got the CAN-BUS cable for the VAG-COm though :(