MFD2 is IN...............

Looks really good, is that what the Maxi dot display is? I was interested in a maxi dot but not too bothered about sat nav?
The additional display between the speedo and rev counter showing that there is a rear door open is the MaxiDot - the big screen in the center of the dash is the SatNav.

You can't order (from Skoda) the SatNav without MaxiDot, although you can retrofit the SatNav without it (although you lose some functionality). I don't think you can easily retrofit MaxiDot (if at all).

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The additional display between the speedo and rev counter showing that there is a rear door open is the MaxiDot - the big screen in the center of the dash is the SatNav.

You can't order (from Skoda) the SatNav without MaxiDot, although you can retrofit the SatNav without it (although you lose some functionality). I don't think you can easily retrofit MaxiDot (if at all).

I've retro fitted maxidot to a Mk1 Octavia, it's not that difficult. Not sure if the the Mk2 is more complicated regarding the immobiliser though as that's the main obstacle on the Mk1.

Hi Guys

Here is a couple of photos of the Silver trim around the MFD2 that I fitted in my Octy 2 4x4.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding features/function or fitting.

[ATTACH]11076[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11078[/ATTACH]

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thats the trim I have on order, the one that they got in for me was the standard surround :mad:

The Skoda sat nav may not look as fancy as the aftermarket stand alone ones but it wins hands down on performance, the rerouting is virtually instant, you can actually hear the voice commands. It is alot more precise and carries on if the sat lock is lost.

I used it propely today and it's vastly superior to my 'old' navman.

I had a factory fit sat nav in a car just over 4 years ago and quite a few aftermarket ones since then (Tomtom, Navman etc) and none of them compare to a genuine OEM jobbie.

Back to the MFD2 project- got prices for the proper roof mounted GPS receiver/aerial and lead and it comes to something around £150 so it'll have to wait.

One question: If the GALA lead was to be grounded for one reason or another would it affect the sat nav in any way?

Cheers

Having no GALA signal when using navigation means the unit doesn't know exactly where you are so instead updates every second or so using GPS. That's why it's best to fit a switch like the one included on some plug and play looms.

OEM sat nav uses a combination of GPS, vehichle speed and ABS sensors (for vehicle direction) to track exactly where you are. This is far more accurate than GPS alone that standalone aftermarket units use.

I have the magnetic aerial hidden behind the dash and haven't had any signal problems. I personally wouldn't bother with the expense and hassle of fitting a roof mounted aerial.

That's my problem though, I like the OEM look a little too much :rolleyes:

The idea of a switch went through my brain this morning on the way to work, that's when I think about stuff like GALA cables and the like :D

Like you say, that's the big difference with OEM sat nav, it doesn't just rely on a sat lock for location and direction of travel.

Methinks a switch is going to be fitted :thumbup:

Having no GALA signal when using navigation means the unit doesn't know exactly where you are so instead updates every second or so using GPS. That's why it's best to fit a switch like the one included on some plug and play looms.

GALA ? What do i need if i retrofit a system ?

OEM sat nav uses a combination of GPS, vehichle speed and ABS sensors (for vehicle direction) to track exactly where you are. This is far more accurate than GPS alone that standalone aftermarket units use.

Is this feature available with the retrofit system - i see it mentions ?

I have the magnetic aerial hidden behind the dash and haven't had any signal problems. I personally wouldn't bother with the expense and hassle of fitting a roof mounted aerial.

I suppose it real depends on the resale value of "doing it properly". Will anybody be that particular when viewing the car to buy

GALA is the system used to regulate the volume on the headunit dependant on speed, it is a pulse that is read by the Stream/MFD2.

You require no alterations as this is already fitted to the Stream unit :thumbup:

In addition to volume, the MFD2 uses this signal to calculate the vehicle speed and keep a more accurate location of the car, it also helps when the sat lock is lost under trees/tunnels etc.

Re the magnetic aerial - My MFD2 came with one of these but as mentioned I am going for the full OEM look with the proper roof aerial and might help if selling the car on in the future. After all it is now a £1400 option so it will have a good effect on the value of the car.

The magnetic one works well as thats what I have fitted at the moment. It's routed under the steering column and up the side behind the fuse box cover, the aerial itself is stuck to the metal air outlet grille under the plastic ticket holder, pics can be done if required :thumbup:

Yes please to piccies.:thumbup:

Pics as promised:

GPS1: Cable running above pedals behind plastic trim, note sloppy workmanship indicated by red arrow!

GPS2: Magnetic aerial sitting quite happily on the metal air outlet

GPS3: Cable running up the side of the fuse box between the fuse cover and rubber door seal. (Red arrows do not indicate sloppy workmanship in this pic! :rofl:)

Best of luck. :thumbup:

As long as you are careful where you get it from it is a piece of cake.

Any questions or other pics required, just PM me any time :)

Hopefully the silver trim will be in tomorrow :huep:

Gents,

I bought one of these very units off Ebay for my Occy II Elegance. Fitted it and it worked a treat, however I have the premium 12 speaker sound system which it will not work with!!! Trust me there seems no way round this. Before I put it on Ebay if anyone wants to offer me £400 for it, it is brand new with the GPS antenna and code card. I have pictures of it installed in my car working (Before I deinstalled it due to the speaker probs). I have had it tested at the Skoda dealers (for which I paid £200 for them to try and get it to work with my upgraded sound system to no avail). The unit works A1, it's my car that's not compatible with it. Any takers chaps this is risk free (I will even help you install it if you come to me), give me a pm. Mods, sorry if this is the wrong place for advertising, please remove if this is the case, I'm just trying to help each other out here.

PS - Guys you can locate the GPS antenna merely mag mounted on top of the radio itself. The oddment box (on top of the dash) is plastic and it seems to work ok in this position and tracks about 4-5 sats. This is far better in my opinion than on top of the dash etc. How much simper could it get?

Hopefully there will be some takers for it, thats a very reasonable price for a tried and tested unit.

However, like you say, this probably belongs in the classified section so I'm not sure if a moderator will jump on it.

Might be an idea to remove your mobile number and invite people to PM you re. enquiries. This forum is public after all. :)

Hi Guys

Here is a couple of photos of the Silver trim around the MFD2 that I fitted in my Octy 2 4x4.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding features/function or fitting.

[ATTACH]11076[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11078[/ATTACH]

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Do you have the original Skoda one with green lights or a VW one with red lights? I've been looking for Skoda one, but these seems very rare and if you allow red lights you can get a m/y 2007 DVD navigation. So if you have a "red" version can you tell does the red color disturb a lot or is it only a minor detail difference?

Fitted my MFD2 today, pix to come if anyone is interested. Couple of things to note, I don't have Dual Zone Climate on my car, just the standard climatic semi auto and there is no Silver replacement dash trim for it, only Black is available if you have Climatic. The good news is that the black replacement is £4, so I have ordered 2 as I am going to get my paint guy to colour match one and then I can fit it.

I popped the GPS antenna just left of centre on the metal air vent. There is a plastic blanking plug there if you don't have dual zone, I popped that out, filed a small groove into it for the cable then routed it down to the MFD2, install time was about 20 mins with Antenna placement.

The MFD2 works perfectly with my Phatbox MP3 player and my Parrot CK3100 so all in all, really happy over in this corner, will be "mondo" happy when I get the dash trim on Wednesday.

Last thing, I have the MFD2 manual on PDF if anyone needs a copy or if anyone wants to host it. I just need to work out now how to plug a DVD player into it for the kids

Cheers

Tony

I popped the GPS antenna just left of centre on the metal air vent. There is a plastic blanking plug there if you don't have dual zone, I popped that out, filed a small groove into it for the cable then routed it down to the MFD2, install time was about 20 mins with Antenna placement.

Is that inside the dash or on show? There's really no need to have the gps aerial on the dash where it can be seen like in the photo's further up the thread, they work fine hidden inside the dash.

Is that inside the dash or on show? There's really no need to have the gps aerial on the dash where it can be seen like in the photo's further up the thread, they work fine hidden inside the dash.

I am going to try it again, I placed it on top of the head unit at first but it would drop the signal every now and again.

Will have more time to play with it this week and get the dash trim sprayed up to match as well. Impressed with it though, used today to get to birmingham and it was deadly accurate. :thumbup: