New Octavia - sports suspension - worth the extra?

Hi

I'm going to get a new Octavia with either the 1.6 FSI or 1.9 TDI. What I'm wondering is whether it would be worth the extra for the sports suspension (I'm really after the look of the 17" alloys as I understand the car handles well enough any way and neither of these engines is likely to stretch the abilities of the standard chassis). Obviously I'm going to have some test drives but wanted to know if anyone had any long-term first-hand experience.

Cheers - Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I agree the 17inch Pegasus wheels look a lot better, and I've got them on my 2.0TDI estate. The stiffer suspension package is good if you like taking the handling to the limits, but is quite firm and jittery on poor surfaces especially at low speed around town, and tyre noise will be higher.

Personally, I would prefer the nice wheels without the stiff suspension.

Nick

Father has it on his car and that is a TDI elegance.

I think it nicely set it all off, but it is a bit more jittery at the back over cr*p surfaces, however it also is nicer to push around the corners when you are making progress. It still isn't up to the level of a MKI Focus though.

I quite like it myself. I don't find it too firm, and it makes the car less wallowy around corners than the standard setup. I personally would not change it back.

i would agree with what everyone else has said. ok on the motorway and you do tend to notice the bumps on crap roads and slow speeds. I dont notice it that much now though and i wouldnt be without the look of the 17" alloys as i think they look great. I havent tried one without the sports suspension so coulnt comment on how that compares

I have it on mine and it makes the car much better over standard. Little roll in corners, very good grip and I don't think the tyre noise is intrusive, however I agree about the ride suffering. I am not personally bothered by such things, but some may be though! My Fabia Comfort was a lot smoother on almost all road surfaces by comparison . . . .

I have a 06 1.9 tdi elegance and opted for the ordinary alloys that came with it. I am pleased that i did so because i drive lots of country lanes and a roads. I have to say I am very happy with them and think they suit this type of roadsurface very well. I rarely drive on motorways and the main a road I drive on is a concrete one. So if this is the type of driving you do I wouldn't bother with the £500 alloys. Hope this is of help.

I have both sport suspention and 17' wheels, and as I almost don't drive on motorways, for me it's a bit too rough. I have to admit that ride is very safe but there is no enough confort for me. I'd be hapy to swap my 17' with 225 tyres for 16' with 205 tyres but just couldn't find anyone who got new car with 16' to do the swap. If I had sport suspention with 16' it would be smoother ride for me, just as I like it.

Also, important point is when the time comes to change my tyres, it will be 1000 euros for 4 tyres and these 17' tyres last less the 16'.

with the harder suspension, you will find that you develop more creaks and rattles than a softer sprung car. My car ibiza tdi sport has sports suspension and I find that with the state of the uk's roads, any slightlest imperfection within the road throws the car off course.

An 'after market' suggestion - keep your standard springs and fit Koni FSD shock absorbers. The FSDs are designed to give a comfortable ride but stiffen up when required for cornering/braking etc.

I would avoid the 30mm lowered springs as, from experience on a Fabia, they were tooooo firm; BUT you could get the firmish OE springs lowered by 15mm from the 'sport' Octavia or the slightly firmer than firmish OE springs lowered by 15mm from the vRS.

OK?

It obviously comes down to personal preference and whether you can afford it. I wanted the wheels and the firmer suspension for the looks and better driving experience plus I could afford it when I bought the car.

I know it is more jittery at lower speeds but I don't find excessively firm, it's a shame I don't get that much chance to enough the drive more now I've got the car than before.

while were on suspension if you have the sports option is the car lower than with the standard or just firmer?

The 'Sport' suspension is 15mm lower than standard, and naturally stiffer. The vRS is also only 15mm lower (than standard so same as sport) but stiffer than the sport.

OK?

The vRS is also only 15mm lower (than standard so same as sport) but stiffer than the sport.

OK?

That isn't what Skoda UK told me - they said that the Sports suspension and the vRS suspension are the same, with minor tweaks to accomodate additional weight (or lack of) according to engine choice.

That isn't what Skoda UK told me - they said that the Sports suspension and the vRS suspension are the same, with minor tweaks to accomodate additional weight (or lack of) according to engine choice.

Curious - I have an e-mail from my dealer that says;

"With regard to the lowering of the vRS compared with the Sport, there is a difference in the compression ratio's between them. The vRS and Sport have different shock absorbers."

I had asked a quetsion about this as, having tested the vRS and considering I have a long term 'back' problem, I am concerned that the vRS may be too firm for me and I wanted to know if I had a fallback position to, say, switch springs for those from the sport to make the vRS a degree softer.

If Skoda UK are too be believed, my fall back position will have to be to use standard springs.

I think you'd be best off test driving a sport and a vRS with 17" wheels, and make your choice from there. I personally wouldn't want the ride any firmer than the Sports's as it's already a tad too firm around town IMO.