Control system for exhaust gases warning light

cokey

hmmmm..... seems a common occurrence this. my light came on last week and went into Philip Wilks today. I was told 'it needed a part.' Looks like I am hanging about until the part arrives. Mind you it didn't go into limp mode and they had turned the warning light off. maybe it's just a faulty sensor.

We shall see.

BTW car is 55 reg 2.0 tDI PD with 24K on the clock and has already had a replacement radiator. Considering my previous two Mk1 Octavias never had so much as a light bulb in over 100k I am not impressed with the new model - apart from the performance which is much more than the 90bhp I was used in the old model.

There are some know problems with the TDi if it's fitted with a DPF and does short journey's.

Whats a short journey?

I have nine mile cross-country daily commute with 14 junctions - takes about 20-25 mins. Am I to expect problems with the DPF ?

I had this happen on my Golf and it was a faulty lamba probe.

was the same on my petrol vrs..came on a couple of times and went off

didnt come back on for a couple of months and when it has its service a few months ago I mentioned it and Benfield changed it and hasnt been seen since

Damn thing came back on today. Will be contacting garage (Philip Wilks) for further advice. Mind you my wife has been using the car a lot for slow, stop start journey into Gateshead every morning so maybe this is part of the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have just joined.

I have a bit of a problem with my car at the moment as follows.....!

1) Control system for exhaust gases warning light came on Good Friday

2) Car to dealer last Saturday and fault cleared after second attempt

3) Light came back on last Tuesday and Skoda Assist used to tow to dealer

4) Exhaust pressure sensor replaced Thursday, but light came back on afterwards!

5) Took car back in. Dealer said that the replaced sensor was faulty!

6) Due for repair next Tuesday............?

Anyone any similar problems with their vRS TDi's recently?

Can't wait to get may car back

just rang the dealer and they said an ECU update was needed for this a few weeks ago. But I said to them they only serviced the car a month ago.

Anyway its booked in tomorrowto check it. hopefully i won't be without it for long.

i'll keep you all posted.

My 2008 2.0L 140hp BKD engine service light also appeared prety soon I bought the car.

Its saying emission control.

Thats because I took the vacuum out from EGR so it does not work anymore and does not glog the intake track.

The same message can also appear if using "tuning box" which fools ecu to see higher diesel temperature.

That happends if diesel temperature shows 130Celsius degrees or more to ecu.

So it might not allways be the stucking EGR valve.

as I was saying she's booked in today to check this out.

Problem now is that the light was not on this morning. I going to the garage anyway but I bet it will come on again when I leave after the look at it..

I would get it looked at may be a faulty sensor.

A few months ago whilst having something done under warranty I was asked whether the emissions light had come on as there appeared to be a faulty sensor. A day later the sensor came on as I drove off. It took a month for the new sensor to come in to be fitted. A short while after fitting it the same light came on again so it went back to the garage for another order. Whilst there they did something which was meant to override the light whilst waiting for the part to come in - but the light still came back on but with no loss of power. The car is going back to the dealers next week to have the new sensor fitted. Hopefully this will sort it out though by now I'm not holding my breath on the reliability of these sensors.

I had exactly the same sequence of events on mine - except a further trip because the first replacement sensor fitted was faulty too... Be warned they won't fix it the first time you take it in - all they'll do is clear the fault code. If you can you should insist they change the sensor straight away. If i'd have done this it would have saved 4 trips to the garage...

Hi I have just joined.

I have a bit of a problem with my car at the moment as follows.....!

1) Control system for exhaust gases warning light came on Good Friday

2) Car to dealer last Saturday and fault cleared after second attempt

3) Light came back on last Tuesday and Skoda Assist used to tow to dealer

4) Exhaust pressure sensor replaced Thursday, but light came back on afterwards!

5) Took car back in. Dealer said that the replaced sensor was faulty!

6) Due for repair next Tuesday............?

Anyone any similar problems with their vRS TDi's recently?

Can't wait to get may car back

Sounds very familiar see my previous post.

Dealer called today to say my car was repaired. They fitted the second new sensor yesterday and gave it a good run last night and this morning. Picked up my car at lunchtime today, a day earlier than expected!

Light has not come back on and I am enjoying my car again very much. Feels quicker, but that may be because I have been driving a 1.4 Petrol Fabia?

Hopefully this was the reason all along and I don't get any more problems. Good luck all concerned and keep your fingers crossed.

Tha car is back and fixed this time.

Three exhaust temperature sensors (something to do with the Diesel particulate filter) have been replaced. All dash lights are now extinguished and all is well.

Are you sure they are not BS'ing you? I did not think any Furby vRS's came with DPF's

On Topic

I had the same on my TDI, Vag-Com showed an intermittent signal on the MAF, and low and behold the connector to the MAF had split so it was not making proper contact with the MAF connectors.

1 new MAF connector on Warranty and a cage mod later and no more prob's

they keep the car for 2 hours today flashed the ECU and returned it to me. they said there was a flash needed for this error appearing. weather to believe them or not now i don't know but if it happens again i'll wreck their heads.

• Like 1

Sorry my post may have been a bit confusing!

I have an Octavia vRS TDI 170, but my loan car from the dealer was a Fabia 1.4 Petrol.

Octavia is now fixed I hope with the second pressure sensor.

Car still running well tonight.

• 1 month later...

"Control System for Exhaust" light came on last thurs am on way to work. took it to the dealer later in the day halfway there I stopped and when I restarted the car the light stayed off. Took it to the dealer and they said there had been a fault but seemed to have cleared.

Last Fri night I went down to Reading anf the "Diesel particle filter" light came on, followed the instructions in the manual and it went off.

Yesterday I started the car only to find the "control system for exhaust" light was back on. So contacted my dealer as I am due to travel to stanstead early hours of Tues morn.

The dealer sorted me a car out until I return on Thursday next week, and I have left mine with him, so time will tell if this has been sorted.

What does this light actually mean???

"Control System for Exhaust" light came on last thurs am on way to work. took it to the dealer later in the day halfway there I stopped and when I restarted the car the light stayed off. Took it to the dealer and they said there had been a fault but seemed to have cleared.

Last Fri night I went down to Reading anf the "Diesel particle filter" light came on, followed the instructions in the manual and it went off.

Yesterday I started the car only to find the "control system for exhaust" light was back on. So contacted my dealer as I am due to travel to stanstead early hours of Tues morn.

The dealer sorted me a car out until I return on Thursday next week, and I have left mine with him, so time will tell if this has been sorted.

What does this light actually mean???

I presume you are referring to the warning light with an icon in the shape of an engine. This is IIRC known on the TDI Octys as the 'Exhaust Emissions' warning light.

My best suggestion, from experience of the same fault a month or so ago, is that the 'Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor' has gone faulty on you.

More details can be found in this thread here;- http://briskoda.net/forums/octavia-ii/engine-light-again/109149/

• 10 months later...

Hi Folks,

I have been experiencing similar problems with the Control system for exhaust gases warning light on my vrstdi 170.

The diagnostics according to the dealer give a warning on glow plug circuits 1 & 3.

So far, the dealer has had the car three times, once for a day and a half where they fitted a fuse that was missing. This seemed to cure the problem for about a week. Then they had the car for two days to replace the glowplug control circuit which fixed the problem for about a day.

This time round, they have now had the car for two weeks! They've replaced glow plugs on cylinders 1 & 3, checked out wiring but the car is still reporting a fault on circuit 1. They are now inclined to think thatthe ecu needs replacing.

The problem is the repsonse from Skoda Uk seems to be so slow. The garage reports what they have tried, and it takes a day for Skoda to get back to them.

I do predominently short journeys but have never had any dpf issues. Also, the car seems to drive fine, it's just the damn light is on all the time.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see my car again!

Silly question but have they actually checked the Glow plugs themselves as they are an electical componant on these cars and will show a fault in memory of ecu,also i have changed a couple of glow plug relays on these cars due to the same problem they are prone to water ingress into them,it is located in the E box which is under the fuse box in the engine compartment,sorry but you will have to take out the air box and intake pipe to locate it.

• 1 month later...

Just Registered to find out if I was the only one with this problem: My experience has been as follows:-

1st time (about 1 week after I bought the car -Octavia Vrs 2.0 Estate) Sensor replaced.

2nd time; 1 Week later and after light back on within 30 miles, new Glow Plug fitted. 3rd time, light on after another 30 miles, rest of the glow plugs replaced because "the new one had put them under pressure":eek: This time kept the car for 3 days and pronounced it as cured.

4th time; THE NEXT DAY! After the 30 mile trip home light on again. Central Skoda have now had the car for two weeks and have replaced the Alternator as it "was producing too much power":confused: Problem persists and no solution has been offerred.

I must say that Central Skoda have been very helpful in loaning me a car and giving it immediate attention but with all these people sufferring the same thing I'm surprised they don't know what to look for... Even with the Warning Light on the car has continued to run superbly, so I tend to think it's more of a physical defect than an equipment issue. Problem is it must exist for a reason and how would I know if there ever was a real problem in this area?

I'll post again tomorrow when I get an update...

Edited by Ezlif
Additional comment

Ezlif,

I had a problem with similar symptoms, i.e. control system for exhaust gasses warning light intermitently lit with no noticable effect on the perfomrance of the car.

To cut a long story short, after several visits to dealer to repalce glowplugs, glowplug module and ecu, this fault was traced to a poor earth connection on the alternator.

I'm not that technically minded, but I'd make sure that the dealer has tested all of the earth connections.

Hope that might help.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Mine has just come on today, but have used the car from 3pm with no loss of power, is there anything I can check without going to the dealers, but if I have to go there whats the cost of the repair as mine is well out of warranty