Fabia vRS BLT Engine Hesitation.

VRStu

I'm having an absolute nightmare with this at the moment. I managed, after something of a struggle, to get the bolts and old gasket off, but now I can't get the bottom bolt to go on properly.

It seems to keep going crooked and I'm now concerned that the bolt or the bit it goes into may have become damaged somehow.

Car is out of use pending repair at the mo!

Oh, and it's carrying a 'lost' 6mm hex key in the bottom of the engine bay somewhere.:o

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does sound a bit like you may have cross threaded it - Does the bolt/screw look damaged when you remove it?

I'm not sure. I'll have a look later on. How do you ' cross thread' it in the first place?

More to the point ... what if I have cross threaded it? Presumably I'll need a new bolt / the thing it goes through? What does go it go through?

So may questions!

Cheers Stu!

Cross threading is often caused when the fixing doesn't go into the thread at a straight angle.

You may be able to 'dress' the bolt with a correctly sized die or a needle file. If the other part is damaged then again it may be dressed with a correctly sized tap else you'll be saving up for a new one.

Right, all sorted thanks to a friendly local mechanic with some excellent tools.

No idea why the bottom bolt kept going in crooked, I guess it was something to do with the parts not lining up properly. However, the mechanic put something on it and it went in fine. I promised to drop some beers round for him tomorrow:thumbup:

The effects of the new gasket are unbelievable. As somebody who felt 'unaffected' by the stutter, the car feels much smoother now. Not just in the 'affected' rev range, but also when changing down gears and when cruising at low speeds (e.g. 10-15mph) in 1st / 2nd gear.

This 'fix' certainly cancels out any problems and everybody should be doing it IMO.

Many thanks to those responsible for gathering all the info on this in the first place.:)

The effects of the new gasket are unbelievable. As somebody who felt 'unaffected' by the stutter, the car feels much smoother now. Not just in the 'affected' rev range, but also when changing down gears and when cruising at low speeds (e.g. 10-15mph) in 1st / 2nd gear.

Looks like you beat me to it then Joe, hopefully get mine sorted over the weekend. But I've currently 'lost' my car :rolleyes::D

Looks like you beat me to it then Joe, hopefully get mine sorted over the weekend. But I've currently 'lost' my car :rolleyes::D

You won't be disappointed if you do it, but it is an incredibly fiddly job to do on your own IMO. I'm inexperienced when it comes to these things and only have 'bog standard' Allen / hex keys. If you're a bit more experienced and have some decent tools it might be easier.

You'll definitely notice the difference though!

Had my vrs se at the dealer yesterday for the 'stutter', and they did the 14.5mm fix. They weren't aware of this forum, so when i pointed it out, they agreed to do the 9mm fix in a couple of weeks time. However, after a long drive today, and trying to 'force' the stutter, i can't..there is no sign of it at all !!anybody else found the 14.5mm fix a success? i'll keep you informed over the next few days.

Hmm...

I had the 9mm gasket fitted, and have had 2 Engine Check Lights since...

cleared the 1st with VAG Com (EGR system regulation out of limit...or some such fault) and it's just come back in again.

Looks like I'll have to have the 14.5mm gasket fitted and give that a try.

Hmm...

I had the 9mm gasket fitted, and have had 2 Engine Check Lights since...

cleared the 1st with VAG Com (EGR system regulation out of limit...or some such fault) and it's just come back in again.

Looks like I'll have to have the 14.5mm gasket fitted and give that a try.

No idea why that's happening. Of course, it might not be related to the gasket at all.

No idea why that's happening. Of course, it might not be related to the gasket at all.

Hmm...

I was warned by the Tech that I may get a check light.

4 months of driving...no check light.

9mm gasket fitted...3 days of driving - check light.

Could be a coincidence...a EGR problem just after fitting the small gasket, but I doubt it.

Quick Question for all those who have fitted the 9mm gasket....

Have you experienced any significant effect on fuel consumption, either positive or negative?

Had my vrs se at the dealer yesterday for the 'stutter', and they did the 14.5mm fix. They weren't aware of this forum, so when i pointed it out, they agreed to do the 9mm fix in a couple of weeks time. However, after a long drive today, and trying to 'force' the stutter, i can't..there is no sign of it at all !!anybody else found the 14.5mm fix a success? i'll keep you informed over the next few days.

Well, an update..after a couple of days, the stutter came back..as bad as ever. So, today it's been back at the dealers, and THE DEALER has fitted the 9mm gasket. They were quite happy to do so, but advised me that if it failed its emission test come MOT time, i would be responsible for the cost. I'm fine with that, as the dealer has done 'the fix', so there's no warranty problems. I've since given it 'considerable welly', and it's just ssoooo smooth now. Thanks VRStu