Fabia vRS BLT Engine Hesitation.

VRStu

Been running mine in cold weather fine but the large one was sooty when I took it out.

I wonder if the light comes on as it soots up a bit and the diameter decreases?

If I have trouble, I'll try a bottle brush first and let you all know the results.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 2007 vRS with the BLT engine. I also had the stutter and decided to go to the dealer (I'm from Bulgaria) and sort the things out.

I told them about it. They didn't knew much. Said nobody complaint about it before me. Which is strange according to me, because we got a lot of RS Fabias here. Anyway I showed them. They said they would contact Skoda in the Chech Republic. Two days after that they called me with a solution from Skoda. The interesting is that the solution was through the software, not hardware. They changed the value for the EGR valve. Actually made less gases come to the EGR for recirculation. Now I'm a dirty polluter of the nature. The new value is 33200. The old one was 32768. Now I am testing for a week and must say that the stutter is almost gone. I can feel it really rarely and it's very weak. If I didn't knew there was such a thing I would probably never pay attention to it. Now the engine is working smoothly and has the torque and power more evenly distributed over the whole RPM range.

I've read through this thread and am surprised that Skoda UK have tried using a restrictor plate to achieve the desired result, which is to reduce the amount of EGR so increase oxygen thus reducing the overfuelling problem.

The method used in this post would be the correct method of reducing EGR.

It's due to using the restrictor plate that the Check light is being brought on as the MAF monitors the volume of injested air at all times, including when the EGR valve is operational.

The MAF is seeing too much fresh air intake and not enough exhaust gas when the EGR is opened so is reporting the valve to be outside tollerance.

I'm sure a guarenteed fix for this would be to reduce the % of EGR via software.

Another route would be to disconnect and blank the EGR pipe near the exhaust manifold and to fit an air filter to the section connected to the valve.

Sure, there would be no recirculated gas so generation of more Nox but there would be less smoke and better performance.

The ECU wouldn't throw a code as the correct amount of gas would be injested at all times, just fresh air as opposed to exhaust gas.

I am not sure it would be just a case of putting an air filter on the egr pipe and then

good clean air is drawn into the egr valve. The EGR gas is under high pressure from the exhaust manifold, where it then enters the inlet manifold via the egr.

you are letting the exhaust gas into a system under pressure already and maybe under boost. The only way you will get clean air in is from a high pressure clean air supply and there is non supply available.

Well apart from the air box but its not good enough you would just loose boost through the air box I think.

It's the gasket that is changed, not the valve. I believe Skoda will fit the 14.5mm for you. This may not solve the problem. If it doesn't, the 9mm almost certainly will but you'll probably have to fit this yourself. This MAY cause your EGR light to come on but the majority of owners seem to be OK. Do have a look at this thread though if you want more info.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read through this thread and am surprised that Skoda UK have tried using a restrictor plate to achieve the desired result, which is to reduce the amount of EGR so increase oxygen thus reducing the overfuelling problem.

The method used in this post would be the correct method of reducing EGR.

I've been running this setup for ~4000 miles and 4 months now, most of it driven in the city. No more issues with the stutter, also no lights coming on.

In my previous post, I've said may have had an effect on the economy, but it doesn't. :rolleyes: The one thing that is better for sure, though is that now I have got a lot less smoke out of the exhaust.

Roughly 18k on the 9mm now.

Had the exhaust light on yesterday and part of today, its gone off half way today at some point.

I was on the M1 in the middle of a 160mile journey when it came on, just after leaving Donnington services but I hadn't filled up.

Today I've been commuting and town driving, probably not been over 40mph all day.

So the moral of this story is dont panic even if your light comes on cos it might just as easily go out :thumbup::D:)

If it's come on once, it'll come on again and will soon annoy you. try drilling out to about 11 or 12 mm.

After doing so many miles with it ok I'm not about to alter anything permanantly.

Last time I swapped the 25mm back in and drove for a bit and then back to 9mm for the last 6k miles so think I'll do that again.

Mine is booked with the dealer for next week, do we know if this is covered under warranty?

I dont mean to be rude or unhelpful but you really need to read this thread in detail cos al the info you need is in there :thumbup:

My advice is dont bother with the dealer get a 9mm gasket and DIY.

Have a read and it should all be a lot clearer :)

Last time I swapped the 25mm back in and drove for a bit and then back to 9mm for the last 6k miles so think I'll do that again.

Just reset it with VAG-COM, rather than mess about swapping them over again.

My light came on after a few hundred miles, reset it, and it was fine for 5- 6k / when I fitted the dragon box. Now it seems to come on every 2 - 300miles, it must be right on the limit of tolerances and I believe the tuning box pushes it just over the edge. Must get round to turning the EGR value down, and then hopefully all will be okay again, either that or get it remapped :D

Just reset it with VAG-COM, rather than mess about swapping them over again.

My light came on after a few hundred miles, reset it, and it was fine for 5- 6k / when I fitted the dragon box. Now it seems to come on every 2 - 300miles, it must be right on the limit of tolerances and I believe the tuning box pushes it just over the edge. Must get round to turning the EGR value down, and then hopefully all will be okay again, either that or get it remapped :D

I dont have vagcom myself but do have a resetter/reader and have used this before.

The light has gone out by itself but does it stay in the ECU unless its reset?

Light came on again yesterday again whilst on motorway, no silly xxx speeds just "getting by" gone off again today:confused:

Had 20k service last week wonder if thats owt to do wi'it?

There seems to be mixed results with turning it down on vagcom, I had this done by the helpful bryand but it seemed to please itself in the end.

Car is standard engine wise.

Had the 9mm out the other day to inspect.

Just a fine covering of soot, no sludge or crustiness at all.

Didnt fancy drilling the hole out as its so flimsy so opened it up a little with a round file, still no bigger than 10mm.

Reset fault code and light out ok, done a few miles since and no light but no motorway either.

Have to "nip" to Awesome tomoz so will be motorway.

Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Seems fine!

Car was in under warranty today for the gasket and its been done and seems ok (touch wood). More driving will tell over the coming days.

Had a new Fabia1 1.2 HVT courtesy car which was interesting. Not a bad little drive round town, but not that impressed with the quality and finish of the plastics inside. They had put flashy TSW alloys on it too!

Hello guys

I'm happy having found this thread and board :)

Since august 2005 I'm the owner of a Polo 9N3 with the same BLT engine and which has the same problem -> stutter :(

After reading this topic i'm planning to order the 9mm part and have it changed at the seat workshop where I do my services, car has to go in for an inspection next tuesday as the steeringwheel starts to vibrate since yesterday :(

as for the 9mm part and light for some of the people.

Wouldn't it be necessary to, after having mounted the 9mm gasket, disconnect the battery and reconnect it after half an hour.

I read on another board this was neccessary to 'reprogram' the ECU after the cupra D intake had been mounted, so the ECU starts from 0 again and knows more air is coming in?

Just fitted a green cotton filter...worth a ECU reset? - SEAT Cupra.net

dunno, could be totally wrong here :)

not sure about this. well worth a try but I would have thought the ecu would still think there is a egr malfunction as it will detect less pecentage exaust gas than it's pre programmed value should be.

Let us know what happens.

I've only had a quick flick through this thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before but.....

I have an 06 vRS and had the stutter problem but not very often and not enough for it to bother me or to have it back at the dealers, (I'd notice it at most maybe 3 or 4 times a month). Now i fitted a Dragon box on the car a few months ago and it dawned on me this week that i can't remember having an occurance of the stutter since it's been fitted.

Is this something that others have notices and also is it something that people who have had the car re-mapped have noticed????

Cheers

Dave.