Skoda MFD3 Trinax - My thoughts **Warning Lots of Pictures**

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Skoda branded RNS510 unit which is 1Z0 035 680 A and I have the Skoda branded Phone unit which is 1Z0 035 729.

Startup is Skoda and illumination is green, the pictures in the first post are of the exact unit.

It's a fantastic looking piece of kit and incredibly tempting for a self indulgant treat in the new year.....

Being a relative newbie here and seeing as it is dark and my car is locked away, does this unit "simply" slot into the space that would be vacated by my current bog standard stream MP3 in dash unit?

Am I being far too simplistic here and missing the fact that the MFD3 (and MFD2) require bigger spaces in the dash?

I suppose it is a long shot but we run apple macs at home and I am addicted to my IPOD.

Does the new Columbus (I guess the same as the MFD3) play MP4 tracks ? I have 100gig of music from my apple that I would dearly love to transfer to the Columbus via the SD card onto the HDD.

My car doesn't arrive till 7th but I'm too excited to wait :D:D

Does the new Columbus (I guess the same as the MFD3) play MP4 tracks ? I have 100gig of music from my apple that I would dearly love to transfer to the Columbus via the SD card onto the HDD.

Dodge

MP4 can easily be converted to MP3 for your audio. Obviously you can't convert video. There are lots of 'converters' available and I believe you might even be able to use iTunes to do this in one batch. It'll take a while, but you only need do it once and then you can set up iTunes to rip future tracks in MP3. Providing you use a reasonable bit-rate for MP3, I would challenge you to be able to tell any difference in quality.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Guys.

Anyone using the satnav part of this unit? That's why its £1500 instead of £300 for an mp3 and dvd player.

How accurate is the navigation? I think back to my Copilot 6 which used to think all A roads were 60mph. GOing to London CIty airport from the north, it took me along the old A1 through northern London. My friend's TomTOm took tehm M62/M11 and got them tehre an hour quicker. That was only the worst occasion.

DOes it do up to date accurate POI's? The POIs and safety cameras on my TomTOm can be updated from PocketGPSWorld (fantastic). I'd not like to lose that.

How new are the maps? THose on TomTom are more than a year old by the time they get out.

Anyone got any feedback?

I find the mapping very good, it uses the realtime TMC to give you the choice of three routes and if you wish you can have it monitor the traffic and update the route dynamically.

The maps seem pretty good to me, I've just installed an update which seems to be dated end of August 07 but I don't know what the changes were.

It has lots of POI's whaich can be searched by name, type, group and even phone number. No traffic POI's though and I doubt it is something you'll find on a factory unit.

Just letting you know that I installed the RNS510 in my GTI today, works perfectly with the latest Bluetooth module (1Z0 ...).

Thanks for the help and information here!

Good work - any pics? :)

Steve

Some of the voice commands make you laugh a little -

"stay on this road for a long time"

"Take the A27 towards Briiiiighton" She just can't quite say Brighton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...