Audible warning for icy conditions?

I have had my Octy for nearly a year now, and am generally very pleased with it, but one thing bugs me. We get an audible warning 'beep' for low petrol and various other things, but when the temperature drops below 4 degrees C you just get a rather insignificant snowflake on the display for a few seconds - then nothing! I do keep an eye on the temperature read-out, but a beep when it goes below freezing would be quite useful.

Is it possible to enable an audible warning if the temp drops below freezing? I am not due for a first service for 7,500 miles, but would like to know whether this is an option when I do contact the dealer.

Any information from you knowledgeable people would be much appreciated!

Eleanor

My Fabia also used to make a "something's seriously wrong" loud beep when the temperature dropped below 4 degrees which was a right pain if you were on a longish journey where the temperature was fluctuating between 6 deg C and 3 deg C :mad: Much prefer just having a light, although I'm not sure I really take much notice of it....

Chris

I get the beep when it drops to 4c or below, along with the temp flashing for a few seconds.

Failing that I tell the wife she must watch the radio display and when the temp drops to 4c or below she is to poke me with a big stick.....

I have had my Octy for nearly a year now, and am generally very pleased with it, but one thing bugs me. We get an audible warning 'beep' for low petrol and various other things, but when the temperature drops below 4 degrees C you just get a rather insignificant snowflake on the display for a few seconds - then nothing! I do keep an eye on the temperature read-out, but a beep when it goes below freezing would be quite useful.

Is it possible to enable an audible warning if the temp drops below freezing? I am not due for a first service for 7,500 miles, but would like to know whether this is an option when I do contact the dealer.

Any information from you knowledgeable people would be much appreciated!

Eleanor

Sounds like you have a missing 'bong'. :eek: Don't know how to get it back though.

Do you have a normal readout or Maxidot? May influence how to get you 'bong' back.

this cars just 'bongs' a bit toooo much for my liking.

I KNOW when I don't have the seat belt on.

I KNOW when the fuel gets low.

I KNOW when it is getting a chilly outside.

I DON'T NEED BIG BEN TO TELL ME THIS TOO !

Sorry - taken a chill pill now, I'm OK guys :cool:

I find the low washer fluid thing annoying on the maxidot - flashes the orange warning and you can just see it in your vision - be nice if you could acknowledge the warning and turn it off, at least until the next time you turn the engine on (if you haven't topped up by then).

I find the low washer fluid thing annoying on the maxidot - flashes the orange warning and you can just see it in your vision - be nice if you could acknowledge the warning and turn it off, at least until the next time you turn the engine on (if you haven't topped up by then).

This one I have to agree with! And another side effect of this is that you cant see the maxidot time display when this symbol is being displayed! Im amazed you cant cancel it - at least for a few drive cycles and then it could come back on I guess.

I also get a bong at 4deg C or below (As well as the snow flake icon).

Lee

There is one good and explainable reason for that "bong" at 4 C:

1) most of the tire manufacturers say that summer tires below 4-5 C become hard and normally they are loosing capability to keep the car on the road (also that's why winter tires are more gummy);

2) some road parts (usually bridges) may be icy even if your car says - it's 4 C.

p.s. bmw's go "bong" at 3 C :)

at least for a few drive cycles and then it could come back on I guess.

I don't have maxi-dot, but find the orange light an improvement on the Superb as after a long drive I used to have forgotten the screen wash thing had gone off. At least with the orange light it reminds you to fill up when you get home.

Mini is at 3C too

Talking of pings and bongs, anyone see 5th gear with the lexus last night. Now that would get annoying. Might just need to not buy one for that reason

you think the octy bongs too much??? try a vw touran - every f'ing thing bongs - no seatbelt,too cold, indicator stalk at an angle, set something on the frontseat a sensor causes a bong cos it thinks the passenger has no seatbelt etc

be thankful the octy doesn't bong more

There is one good and explainable reason for that "bong" at 4 C:

1) most of the tire manufacturers say that summer tires below 4-5 C become hard and normally they are loosing capability to keep the car on the road (also that's why winter tires are more gummy);

2) some road parts (usually bridges) may be icy even if your car says - it's 4 C.

But surely a light on the dash would do the job just as well without being so intrusive and annoying?

Imho....

1. It would still bong even if you had winter tyres on, although I can't say I've really had trouble keeping the car on the black stuff over the winter.... :D

2. Microclimates are present all the time, especially under sheltered areas. I'm not sure most people associate the bong with them - I suspect it just makes them feel a bit colder and turn the heater up.

Chris

At least VAG can be sure nobody will sue them for not telling there was an icy road :)p.s. For instance in my country (Latvia) there is a rule to use winter tires in december, january and february, 'cause some times temperatures can drop even till minus 30 C :(

I believe that the bong goes off at 4 degrees centigrade because ice crystals begin to form at that temperature.

Mine goes bong at 4 degrees and when the tyre pressure has dropped, my seat belts not on and for fuel. I haven't got maxidot.

Guest Fabia 12v

Bong on our octy, my fabia, my golf and my ibiza @ 4 deg.

All the VWs i drive at work bong for everything!

You would love the Phaeton:

- Bong for temp

- Bong for fuel

- Bong for headlamps left on

- Bong for parking lights set

- Bong for door open, engine on

- Bong for bonnet open

- Bong for boot open

- Bong for seatbelt

- Bong for coolent level

- Bong for oil level

- Bong for screenwash level