POLL - Rapid VRs - (Hoping Skoda see this)

Rapid vRS   

220 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Rapid VRs if Skoda built ?

2. 2. What Fuel version would you prefer

I'm only going from what the master tech at my dealer has told me. He currently has a mk 2 fabia vrs and I believe it's on it's 3rd engine last 2 had the usual issues. Also he has saw quite a few come in with the same

• 2 weeks later...

did i hear rapid VRS ?

it should look like this

skoda_rapid_rs_by_marko0811-d5ju9nl.jpg

I really like that. Certainly much better looking than the Fabia vRS

Id consider changing to a Rapid vRS DSG. Even better if it comes with a 1.4TSI as ill swap all my mods straight over. Although a 2.0TSI would be immense.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the dash tappers - I only want the wheel to be comfortable, the dials to be readable, no (or very little) reflection onto the screen and the switches to have a decent feel to them - not a cheap 80's ghetto blaster.

If you want a soft touch dash, get it flocked...or see a therapist IMHO!

I like the bang-for-buck of the Skoda brand and the vRS versions deliver (for me) the right mix of practicality (4 doors) with performance (hot hatch or uber-saloon) without throwing one or the other away. I can take the 82 year old mother in law shopping in Tescos, happily commute through busy city centres, go camping for a week and go Audi-chasing on the Autobahn all in the same car. Its not perfect at any, but damned good at most.

Perhaps I should actually try an Octy vRS one of these days..

I would like one for sure preferably with a Diesel mill or the 2.0 TSI petrol engine. Only trouble is that as others have mentioned , the car is fairly pricey and Skoda's interior build has really taken a hammering in the last few years. I would expect any VRS version to be the thick end of £20K based on current pricing structure and you can Get a 250bhp Focus ST for that. Personally the 1.4 TSI with DSG would probably be sufficient for day to day use for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love the look of the Rapid. Bold, boxy, edgy and sleek (can they all go together ?) :blush: It's the best looking Skoda by far IMO.

If they produce a VRS version, would I buy one ? For sure.

That does look good in blue, The wheels look a touch too big though, it's almost scraping the wheel arches, is it a photoshop?

From some angles the rear end looks like a bmw 3 series and from the side the profile looks a little like a 5 door version of 1 series coupe.

• Like 1

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/rapid/59600/skoda-rapid-hatchback<br /><br />some pics of a new hatchback rapid which looks more like a conventional hatchback than the current 3 box design<br />Its certainly a pretty car in this form and a little reminiscent of the old seat Leon from the rear.The article also predicts a 1.4 tsi in 158bhp form so not quite vrs spec.<br /><br />If they could drop in the 2.0tsi from the polo R then I'd be seriously interested Edited by sp1ke

http://www.autoexpre...rapid-hatchback<br /><br />some pics of a new hatchback rapid which looks more like a conventional hatchback than the current 3 box design<br />Its certainly a pretty car in this form and a little reminiscent of the old seat Leon from the rear.The article also predicts a 1.4 tsi in 158bhp form so not quite vrs spec.<br /><br />If they could drop in the 2.0tsi from the polo R then I'd be seriously interested

The car in the pictures are of the VisionD concept. I like this car but it's far from clear whether this will make production in real life; it seems more likely now that there will be a sportback (basically estate) version of the Rapid.

• 4 weeks later...

A sensibly priced, manual gearbox vRS with 2.0TDI even in 140bhp guise would beat hands down Octy 3 offering as it would cost less, have longer range at motorway/autobahn speeds due to larger fuel tank (Rapid 55l, Octy 3 50l), and would have hassle free full sized spare wheel option that Octy 3 might not have. Currently vRS diesel Rapid is my only hope to remain faithful to Skoda after what they did to Octavia Mk3.

I would not mind a coupe, either, at some point there was talk about it.

One worrying development I noticed is that Skoda appears now to electronically limit speed, at least on the 1.6TDI CR 105bhp engine. We went abroad with Roomster and it was quite happy to cruise at max speed of 118mph-121mph, seemingly with some torque left. But it would not let us go above that speed, even on long downhill runs across Central Germany. And now I see same engine in a much more aerodynamic car of similar weight, suspension and wheel size, and it still does 118mph. Top gearing is long enough to get at least 10mph more at this power, especially in Rapid shape rather than Roomster.

Edited by dieselV6

A sensibly priced, manual gearbox vRS with 2.0TDI even in 140bhp guise would beat hands down Octy 3 offering as it would cost less, have longer range at motorway/autobahn speeds due to larger fuel tank (Rapid 55l, Octy 3 50l), and would have hassle free full sized spare wheel option that Octy 3 might not have. Currently vRS diesel Rapid is my only hope to remain faithful to Skoda after what they did to Octavia Mk3.

I would not mind a coupe, either, at some point there was talk about it.

One worrying development I noticed is that Skoda appears now to electronically limit speed, at least on the 1.6TDI CR 105bhp engine. We went abroad with Roomster and it was quite happy to cruise at max speed of 118mph-121mph, seemingly with some torque left. But it would not let us go above that speed, even on long downhill runs across Central Germany. And now I see same engine in a much more aerodynamic car of similar weight, suspension and wheel size, and it still does 118mph. Top gearing is long enough to get at least 10mph more at this power, especially in Rapid shape rather than Roomster.

I wondered this when I went aboad, on derestricted (clear/dry) autobahns (in the vRS) I hit 144mph... then it literally seemed to hit a "wall" it was accelerating progressively, it was in 6th at 5,000 revs, so 2000 revs left to go in 6th, and a whole 7th gear to go.... but it felt like hitting a rev limiter... it just "hit the wall" ..... don't think anyones tried to go quicker in a modified vRS yet, so don't know if it was just because I was full of people and luggage....and thats as quick as it would go, but it felt like a limiter...

I wondered this when I went aboad, on derestricted (clear/dry) autobahns (in the vRS) I hit 144mph... then it literally seemed to hit a "wall" it was accelerating progressively, it was in 6th at 5,000 revs, so 2000 revs left to go in 6th, and a whole 7th gear to go.... but it felt like hitting a rev limiter... it just "hit the wall" ..... don't think anyones tried to go quicker in a modified vRS yet, so don't know if it was just because I was full of people and luggage....and thats as quick as it would go, but it felt like a limiter...

Yeah, it was the wall of air. 200bhp wont push its way through the air at that speed, especially when it's front end resembles a brick :blush:

lol.. its not the most aerodynamic thing in the world.... we were on an airfield in czech and skud vRS was next to me (mark I octy vRS) we have very similar power to weight ratio's, and accelerate almost exactly the same .. UNTIL about 125 mph... then the octy slowly pulls away... a perfect demonstration in aerodynamics!

• Like 1