Fabia vRS rear mudflaps 'How To'

HellFire

Thanks for the great pictures - only spotted the thread today.

Is there any way (beyond mudflaps) to try and prevent the boot from getting quite so covered with crud - the Furby is by far the worst car I've owned in this regard, the Rover has a similar shape at the back (virtually flat back as well) but it tended to only get the rear bumper really dirty.

I'm guessing the mudflaps will keep a reasonable amount away but I'm wondering if some kinda rubber strip could be fitted under the car? (just theorising out loud)?

Thanks for the great pictures - only spotted the thread today.

Is there any way (beyond mudflaps) to try and prevent the boot from getting quite so covered with crud - the Furby is by far the worst car I've owned in this regard' date=' the Rover has a similar shape at the back (virtually flat back as well) but it tended to only get the rear bumper really dirty.

I'm guessing the mudflaps will keep a reasonable amount away but I'm wondering if some kinda rubber strip could be fitted under the car? (just theorising out loud)?[/quote']

:eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

hi, good guide.

btw has anybody fitted, rally style mud flaps, not sure if they'd suit the vrs but they might cut down the amount of road gunk on the back of the car.:confused:

cheers matt.

ps did anyone else worry something serious was wrong for a few seconds the first time the low washer fluid buzzer/light came on. :)

Damn! First I fit the front ones and THEN think about having had them sprayed: Moderately OK for a few years as they are black on a black cars though.

Now I find a reason to buy and fit the rear ones. Original reason for getting the fronts was to cut down on all of the crud sluicing diagonally up the front doors.

I guess I'm off to the dealers tomorrow or Friday then :)

J.

That is certainly going to be a useful guide - the dealer sold me some standard rear mud flaps knowing full well I have a vRS. It just concerns me cutting the car, drilling the boot for the cargo nets nearly killed me, cutting the body work will probably finish me off!

I now have to decide if to return the mud flaps and go for a rally style look, or cut the car :(

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this info, it would have been useful as have had my fabia vrs for 18 months and we were told that rear mudflaps cannot be fitted. However am changing from VRS to new octy 1.9 elegance estate on March 1st due to increasing disability of my parents but if i wasn't i would have done this. As i drive country roads a fair bit felt the fabia vrs needed rear mudflaps to go with its front ones.

• 3 weeks later...
...drilling the boot for the cargo nets nearly killed me...

The drilling went OK for me, the dodgy bit was persuading the so-called collapsing nuts to collapse properly without pulling out of the hole I'd just drilled.

Back on topic - rear mudflaps.

In order to fit the captive nuts to the underside I had to enlarge the slot in both bumpers (inner and outer). Even so they were still troublesome to locate properly. WD40 and a degree of force worked in the end. Found I could get my fingers onto the top of the nut and push, ensuring the screw screwed in properly.

I tried to clean up any sharp edges with sandpaper after I trimmed the bumper, then cleaned the sanding and other residue off before drenching the area with WD40. Then I fitted the mudflaps, starting from the bottom.

Main issue I've got is the flaps don't seem to sit nicely on the bumper. If I loosen the bottom two of the three screws then they sit OK. I've tried a couple of washers as spacers and the passenger side is a little better but it's still not perfect. Maybe I'll locktite them in instead or use more washers... A PITA as the wheels got to come off to get reasonable access to do the job.

J.

• 1 month later...
hi' date=' good guide.

btw has anybody fitted, rally style mud flaps, not sure if they'd suit the vrs but they might cut down the amount of road gunk on the back of the car.:confused:

cheers matt.

ps did anyone else worry something serious was wrong for a few seconds the first time the low washer fluid buzzer/light came on. :)[/quote']

I was just thinking the same thing. Have some fitted to my scoob. Black on a black car lOOk great. The ones fitted here seem really small.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the mudflap guide, Hellfire. Well done. Did the job on Sunday in about 45 minutes, with the wheels on! The article meant that I knew what to look for. The speed nuts went on OK but I dabbed some copperslip on first. The pack shows a socket wrench for turning the torq screws but the scale is iffy. I have a very small ratchet from Draper and that did the trick very easily. Now for the fronts.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good info and I am keen to do this mod but is it possible to have the photos put back on or have them PM'ed to me so I can see what I am supposed to be cutting

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I can't find the pictures either. However, if you take the standard mudflap and check the back edge of the wheelarch you should see that the rather thick flange will not enter the slot in the flap. Take a large Stanley knife (or similar) and gently (don't hurry!) cut the flange away for the required length. I used a heat gun on my flaps to soften them a little so that they more easily went over the wheel arch edge.

There are a number of screws to take out, but everything will fit back when the flap is in place. If necessary, re-locate with a small spike or screwdriver in the holes to get things lined up. I have a small ratchet spanner and used it with pozidrive tips so that I was easily ably to do both sides with the rear wheels still on. Should be able to do the job in well under an hour. See this:

Draper 17 Piece Offset Ratchet Screw And Socket Driver Set, 30781 at Tool Shop Direct

Cheers

Clive

Good info and I am keen to do this mod but is it possible to have the photos put back on or have them PM'ed to me so I can see what I am supposed to be cutting

Cheers

Your PM folder is full. So that my PM on this subject can get through you'll need to clear some space.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...