New vRS tyres?

squeekymonkeynuts,  sorry to hear that.

Your car should be in on Monday, & a courtesy car provided until your car is properly fixed.

, just ask for their vRS Demonstrator, or the Octavia lll vRS,

(why should one of their sales people drive them while you get handed some vehicle less than you already own?)

Skoda UK are paying them well to do the Warranty work that will get done.

If the Dealership say they can not do it, call Skoda UK Customer Services, and get them to arrange a garage that can.

*Do not keep driving the car, and it can happen again any time, tell Skoda UK it is not safe as is,

then they have no excuse, it is their Corporate Responsibility, they know what the problems are.*

& your car should be ready Tuesday or Wednesday, New Plugs, Coils and ECU upgrade.

2 hours work max and ready to go.

If the Coil or coils are faulty, please make sure they are all replaced.

Then thats done and you do not have to go through this again in a few weeks.

**I replied yesterday to your first post on the forum.**

It is becoming important that vRS owners need to get their spark plugs checked earlier than the 40,000 miles Skoda/VAG Scheduled change.

(That is no use for Twincharger 180ps engines, ** but some are fine with it** Skoda /VAG should know that by now and change the 20,000 mile Service to include Spark Plugs.)

Earlier CAVE cars might need the ECU upgrade and some might not have had this done before 2 years old or even then,

No Upgrade and running 95 ron petrol might be causing problems with some engines.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/289749-first-time-fabia-owners-had-to-be-a-fabia-vrs

I took it to the dealers yesterday morning and im getting a hire car delivered on Monday morning. This was arranged by Skoda assist. The RAC guy said he tested the coils and said they were fine but just didn't know why the spark plug was covered in oil. I don't know if its had the ECU update or what fuel it has been running on. I filled it up with Tesco momentum 99. I'll wait and see what the dealer reports back.

• Like 2

Skoda doing the Spark Pugs is a pricey thing.

I would go to a good independent and get new plugs fitted,

By the time someone has looked, its as well to just get new plugs fitted. IMO.

If you are having a Skoda Dealership do a Minor Service at 3 years old, maybe ask them if they can do the Brake Fluid change for less than the Skoda National Pricing £45.

£39 sounds OK.

So £150 tops hopefully for Oil/filter Minor Service and the brake fluid change.

(less if you fill the Washer Bottle your self and tell them at the Service Desk not to fill or supply their over priced VW Screen Cleaner.)

Skoda's £39 MOT offer, is OK, but maybe not always done at the Dealership,

I assume that has already been done though.

george

Aye, got the MOT done 18th September (ten days before it was due) - £35 at a Skoda dealer (as I was sorting the warranty it was convenient just to get them to MOT it as well).

I was pleasantly surprised at £35 - expected to pay the standard fee.

• Like 1

If they are cheap like that, best stick with them for Plugs then.

See what they say for price, but best just change them, then you are set for another 3 years easily.

You will know the plugs are good & the correct ones are fitted.

Not something that every buyer of a new Skoda can be sure of.

It is nice that the vRS becomes cheap reliable motoring for the next 2 or 3 years once they get that Extended Warranty

& the MOT & Service done.

By 3 years old you know for sure if you have a good one.

george.

• Like 1

Skoda doing the Spark Pugs is a pricey thing.

I would go to a good independent and get new plugs fitted,

By the time someone has looked, its as well to just get new plugs fitted. IMO.

If you are having a Skoda Dealership do a Minor Service at 3 years old, maybe ask them if they can do the Brake Fluid change for less than the Skoda National Pricing £45.

£39 sounds OK.

So £150 tops hopefully for Oil/filter Minor Service and the brake fluid change.

(less if you fill the Washer Bottle your self and tell them at the Service Desk not to fill or supply their over priced VW Screen Cleaner.)

Skoda's £39 MOT offer, is OK, but maybe not always done at the Dealership,

I assume that has already been done though.

george

It's booked in for next Wednesday - £129 (less than I paid last year with 10% discount at the supplying dealer) plus £45 for brake fluid change (which is only advisory, but getting it done anyway).

Last year was what they call a 'Major Service'/Inspection/Oil & Filter Service.

@ 2 years/20,000 & sometimes about £177 Which was expensive enough. & Included a Pollen Filter,

3 years/30,000 mile is 'Minor Service'/Oil Change, around £110 is really expensive enough. but some do take £129.

(i am tight and would say, do not charge for or supply the bottle of Windscreen Fluid, its full,

& forget the Wash and Vacuum.)

The car should be clean before a 'Major Service' for the Body Work Inspection and report for the Paint and Corrosion warranty.

The 'Minor Service' did not include until recently the Diagnostics check, so thats good now, if they do it.

Ask for the Report!

& they Did not include a 'Road Test' at 'Minor Services'.  So again that is also good, If it gets done.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

*The pollen filter will not be getting replaced this time if done last time, '@ the Major Service.'

unless they check and it needs doing.*

george

• Like 1

Last year was what they call a 'Major Service'/Inspection/Oil & Filter Service.

@ 2 years/20,000 & sometimes about £177 Which was expensive enough. & Included a Pollen Filter,

3 years/30,000 mile is 'Minor Service'/Oil Change, around £110 is really expensive enough. but some do take £129.

(i am tight and would say, do not charge for or supply the bottle of Windscreen Fluid, its full,

& forget the Wash and Vacuum.)

The car should be clean before a 'Major Service' for the Body Work Inspection and report for the Paint and Corrosion warranty.

The 'Minor Service' did not include until recently the Diagnostics check, so thats good now, if they do it.

Ask for the Report!

& they Did not include a 'Road Test' at 'Minor Services'. So again that is also good, If it gets done.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

*The pollen filter will not be getting replaced this time if done last time, '@ the Major Service.'

unless they check and it needs doing.*

george

I've got a 10% discount card with the supplying dealer but as they wouldn't / couldn't (most irritating bit is they didn't have the courtesy to get back to me) help me arrange the extended warranty they lost my business. Not exactly convinced the 10% off actually exists in reality anyway - last year I just had their word for it - service was cheap though - £144 rings a bell.

Not had an update. They said on Saturday they might not get to look at it until today as they were booked up. I've been driving a 13 plate Octavia 1.6 diesel. Not a bad car, quite comfortable. The mpg has been impressive - 66 mpg on a run to and from the south coast. Only drove the vrs for a week but really missing it. I'll be on to the dealers tomorrow.

I've just spoken to the dealers who are in contact with Skoda regarding carrying out an oil consumption test and have been told the car will also need an "extensive road test" does anyone have any thoughts about whats happening with it or what they have already found?

They have changed how they do the Oil Consumption test now.

Drain the Oil, change filter, put in weighed oil, run 180 miles or what ever, 'Dynamic Test', drop & weigh the oil and multiply by 10 or whatever.

Nothing to do with your fault as of yet.

What was the reason for the Fouled Plug, and the problem, really?

Best tell them to get on and do what needs doing, if there is Bore or Ring Wear, Crankshaft Bearing Play or the likes,

do their Oil test and get the new engine ordered and no messing about.

They know the problem and if the Workshop does not, then Skoda UK does.

george

I spoke to the service manager today and he says they're half way through the consumption test. He also said (If I remember correctly) They put a probe down the bores and there was oil. It was bypassing the piston rings? He is "90% certain Skoda will tell them to change the block - it will be a new engine basically" I wonder how much it's costing to hire me Octavia. Am I right in thinking if they replace the engine and any other parts the warranty on them parts is automatically extended to 2 years?

Martin

They can replace a 'Short Engine' (Block & Internals)

or as some have been getting a New Engine , that is a 'Base Engine' New not Refurbished in the Factory,

that arrives with the Head on.

(what i would demand.

Just Ask Skoda UK Customer services, not the Dealership, why that is not what you should get.?)

No, the New Engine does not get the Warranty like a Official Replacement Part,

the car just gets the rest of its Warranty Period..

But,

Some Owners have had a Better Deal and an Extended Warranty.

You could buy your self a 2 Year Skoda Extended Warranty after the 3 Year one for £547.  Well worth it, for piece of mind IMO.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264592-new-14-tsi-engine-fittedbut

See post #12

george

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a call from the dealers on Wednesday saying I am having a whole new engine fitted as advised by Skoda. They reckon I should have it back by the end of next week. I happy to hear that but getting a bit annoyed it's taken so long. It has been 3 weeks today.

My new Avon tyres are still sitting in the local National auto centre waiting to be fitted.

Just bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's for my VRS, £436 fitted & balanced with the old tyres disposed of.

Came top in the Evo tyre test, pretty much the best tyre you can buy at the moment for day to day road use. Should be a huge step up from my borderline dangerous CS2's, even with 3mm tread left.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's for my VRS, £436 fitted & balanced with the old tyres disposed of.

Came top in the Evo tyre test, pretty much the best tyre you can buy at the moment for day to day road use. Should be a huge step up from my borderline dangerous CS2's, even with 3mm tread left.

Where did you get this done?  Looking for 4 Eagle's myself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just ordered 4 x Pilot Sport 3's for £297 on tyreleader for my replacement alloys which I had to buy after the originals were stolen. Absolute bargain, even adding on the tenner a corner at my local tyre fitters. Was looking at Conto SC5's but wear rates were regularly criticised, also Rainsport 3's but don't need a wet bias tyre as have winters for half the year>

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Continental tyres are reported to wear out rather fast but do they perform well?  I don't do a large mileage either in the vRs or on my bikes and I find that the rubber has "gone off" long before the treads are worn anywhere near their limits.  And it hurts me to throw away tyres that still appear good (and would certainly comfortably pass the MOT).