Driving mode selection

+1 no button no Mode Selection.

Its standard on all UK cars SE spec and above (apart from 1.2 TSI's that dont have it at all) but gather its optional in most other markets. In the vRS its called Performance Mode Selection....no different other than it varys the output from the soundaktor as well.

You're not missing alot really, doesnt do anything wonderful for throttle response, Sport steering weight is quite nice though.

You need the button, and some specific electronics in special the performance sound generator

No you don't.  Only the vRS comes with the sound generator and even that doesn't need it.

And even if you fit the button there is a whole host of other work needs doing, including new data being uploaded to the CAN Gateway amongst other things.

Some of the European users of other forums have spent months trying to figure it out. I think they will be disappointed with the final result given the amount of effort it has taken!

• Like 1

It's about as useful as the headlight washer jets or a chocolate teapot. Eco mode numbs throttle response and Sport mode cranks up the annoying sound generator. The only mode worth having is Normal, and you get that without the button. It's also a benefit not having the sound generator at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I just orderd a Skoda Octavia 3, 2.0 TDI DSG Elegance. 

In my country the Driving Mode Selection is not a standard feature. I am usualy a normal and casual driver, i do not drive sport style. I did not order my Driving Mode Selection when i configured my car because the car dealer told me that the differences between them were not big and the option does not worth buying. I also did not order sports suspension and seats. He told me that this option is worth buying when you have a sporty car.

Now as a read the forum i was wondering if i did a good think when i did not order driving mode selection. Does this option really worth? I feel kind of sorry that i did not buy this option, as i read this forum you can not activate it after.

P.S.: Sorry for my rusty english.

Edited by Eto

I like it for the 'sport' steering, which makes it a bit heavier, and with xenon lights, they move more in sport mode. I dont use eco or sport for throttle because I'm not really interested in 'granny driving' most of the time, and i find sport a little more tricky to hold at 30mph as its a little more sensitive. Also, theres A/C normal or eco mode. I hate the feeling of a 'stuffy' car so I usually want my AC on all the time.

So, although I prefer the heavier steering gained by having the button, if I didnt have the option, im sure i'd soon get used to the lighter steering, so wouldnt be too bothered really.

Nice when its free, but not worth paying for really

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I see that Driving Mode Selection is standard in England for Elegance line. In Romania is an optional. Also in Romania we cannot buy, not even as an option Lane Assist. When i asked why is that? The answer was that Skoda considers that this option will not work here because our roads are not marked very good.

Edited by Eto

Thank you very much. I see that Driving Mode Selection is standard in England for Elegance line. In Romania is an optional. Also in Romania we cannot buy, not even as an option Lane Assist. When i asked why is that? The answer was that Skoda considers that this option will not work here because our roads are not marked very good.

It's annoying that all available options aren't offered to all markets where there is no reasonable reason not to offer them. It can't cost Skoda any more money and some options surely they will make money from by offering it. Even if it is the case that some roads in Romania the lane assist wouldnt work they could easily put * This features operation is dependant on the quality of the road markings and still allowed you to use the feature on the roads where it would work and give you the comfort in knowing that safety feature is working.

It took me ages to find out about the sport styling kit they offer as there were no brochure or online images about how they look fitted to an actual car despite me being interested in them. I had to resort to the Latvian version of the Skoda brochure to find a picture and it's the same stock pictures Skoda provides to all their regions for brochures so why it couldn't be included on the website is beyond me. Skoda confuses me in their policies.

Edited by Astec123

It's annoying that all available options aren't offered to all markets where there is no reasonable reason not to offer them. It can't cost Skoda any more money and some options surely they will make money from by offering it.

I think that annoys a lot of people here.

I like it for the 'sport' steering, which makes it a bit heavier, and with xenon lights, they move more in sport mode. I dont use eco or sport for throttle because I'm not really interested in 'granny driving' most of the time, and i find sport a little more tricky to hold at 30mph as its a little more sensitive. Also, theres A/C normal or eco mode. I hate the feeling of a 'stuffy' car so I usually want my AC on all the time.

So, although I prefer the heavier steering gained by having the button, if I didnt have the option, im sure i'd soon get used to the lighter steering, so wouldnt be too bothered really.

Nice when its free, but not worth paying for really

Very true.

Sport steering is about the only good thing it offers.

I usually keep everything else it Eco, as it supposedly reduces fuel consumption when on motorways in cruise. Although it does sometimes make the car feel sluggish at other times. I know it isnt any more sluggish, but I sometimes get that impression.

So overall, not a lot of point, although I will probably swap throttle over between 'normal' and 'eco' quite a bit more now.

Edited by JungleJames

I like mode selector it makes perfect sense, sport makes car sharper, eco makes it consume less. But those two should have been enough. Normal and Individual are useless. In fact it would have been better it the button just switched on or off the sport mode. It would also have been nice if the sport mode automatically chaneged ESP setting to sport as well.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I am tryig to retrofit a Driving Mode selection to my Octavia.

It is a very difficult but i have some ideas how to do it, the only problem is i need a Vin of a car which allready has this option.

I would be very gratefull if some one whoo has this option could share a vin of a car with driving mode selection on a manual transmition with me.

Ideal is 1,8 manual transmition or 1,4 manual transmition.

Thank you.

I do like the Driving mode selection, and I do use the individual mode.

The steering is set to Sport, DSG to Eco.

My 6-speed DSG wants to shift between 5th and 6th "all the time" in Normal (at Norwegian speed limits)