Engines/transmissions as follows:

- 1.2 TSI 110PS M6 & A7

- 1.4TSI 125PS M6 & A7

- 2.0TDI 110PS M5

- 2.0TDI 150PS M6

- 1.4TSI 150PS 4x4 M6 & A7

- 2.0TDI 110PS 4x4 M6

- 2.0TDI 150PS 4x4 M6 & A6

Finally a powerful petrol Yeti with a DSG gearbox AND paddles. This should have been the spec from day one with the FL.

BUT I would want a 181hp 2,0 TDI DSG. Wonder if that will ever see the light of day since by all accounts 150hp barely replaced the 140 and is no real replacement for the 170. One can only but hope.

Finally a powerful petrol Yeti with a DSG gearbox AND paddles. This should have been the spec from day one with the FL.

BUT I would want a 181hp 2,0 TDI DSG. Wonder if that will ever see the light of day since by all accounts 150hp barely replaced the 140 and is no real replacement for the 170. One can only but hope.

Johann, have you had an opportunity to drive a 150ps unit? In the Octavia mk3 its every bit the measure of the 170 in the mk2 IMO. In the yeti I'd guess its not going to be quite as nippy due to the fact the octy lost some weight between the old and new version. Still, a good unit though. :)

Interesting also that hey are mating the 1.4tsi with awd finally. Do they allow that config in other vag/skoda models?

• Like 1

All the manufacturers are trying to bring down the average co2 emissions across the range, & with VAG owning a couple of supercar builders, then the likes of Skoda & VW will take the biggest hit.

Looks like they are all now standardising / reducing engine choices, as can be seen above, along with checking out the likes of Mitsubishi ASX, New Suzuki Vitara, and Mazda cx5 , which are similar to the Yeti.

So even the 2L tdi has dropped from 170BHP, down to 148BHP, where a long time ago the MK1 Octy had a choice of 90BHP, 110BHP or 130BHP, with VW golf having a  150BHP option, 

I wanted a 1.4TSi engine that was in the pre FL Yeti, but was not available on the FL, so took the 1.8, which was only available in the L&K, while i am far from disappointed in the car i have, it was not the one i REALLY wanted, and any eventual replacement looks like it will be down to price, running cost, dealer service and how it feels, as engine wise they will all be the same.

Looks like now if you want a real 1.8 or 2L engine you have to buy 2nd hand & have to go back further than 5 years ( unless you can afford a supercar with V8 even that is now strangled).

Johann, have you had an opportunity to drive a 150ps unit? In the Octavia mk3 its every bit the measure of the 170 in the mk2 IMO. In the yeti I'd guess its not going to be quite as nippy due to the fact the octy lost some weight between the old and new version. Still, a good unit though. :)

Interesting also that hey are mating the 1.4tsi with awd finally. Do they allow that config in other vag/skoda models?

Ok fair enough. Best I test drive a 150 DSG Yeti then. :-)

• Like 1

Ok fair enough. Best I test drive a 150 DSG Yeti then. :-)

try it, I think you'll like it. :) Nicer power properties and a more refined unit. Then again, I've never been one to advocate this whole downsizing thing. ;)

I suppose the 1.4tsi shouldn't be too far off the 1.8 in performance and hopefully a fair bit better on economy.

its perfectly adequate and very similar to the 1.8tsi when kept below 4,000rpm. Above that there is a noticeable benefit of the 1.8 unit IMO. Technically I far prefer the EA888 1.8tsi unit though. There was about a 10mpg benefit with the 1.4tsi when I drove them back to back (in a Leon SC and five door hatch)

For me this is very good news because the 1.4 at least on paper has the same torque (250NM between 1500-3000rpm) as the current 1.8 TSI (1500-4500rpm) but with better fuel economy, lower weight  and alleged lower price.

For me this is very good news because the 1.4 at least on paper has the same torque (250NM between 1500-3000rpm) as the current 1.8 TSI (1500-4500rpm) but with better fuel economy, lower weight  and alleged lower price.

Agreed. I've been looking for some time now to replace my 140 AWD with a petrol AWD but they are very rare. I've been actively considering the new Vitara or the Renegade but neither really fit the bill for me like the Yeti (apart from the diesel element). I'll definitely hang on now for the 1.4.

Anyone any idea when the new vehicles will be on the market?

Anyone any idea when the new vehicles will be on the market?

I suppose they will be orderable from early May as they won't be building any with the old engines from late May. Don't know when they would make it to this country though.

The 1.4TSi engines for the Q3 are currently on about 6 month delivery (week 49 build) - rumoured to be a shortage of this engine type. This is the 150PS 1.4TSi with COD (cylinder on demand, ie runs on two when it can), maybe the new Yeti one is the previous 1.4 without COD?? Or maybe Skoda have bagged themselves a big forward batch of 1.4 engines and left Audi short. But for anyone thinking of ordering this engine it might be prudent to check the likely build week.

C02 emissions and economy in l/100km here: http://www.skoda-auto.sk/SiteCollectionDocuments/cenniky/skoda_yeti_cennik.pdf

Tool for converting to MPG here: https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-mpgimperial.html

Edited by RapidRonnie

Yeti model year 2016 changes:

- Multifunction steering wheel with DSG paddles

Excellent news for existing Yeti owners who want to retrofit an OEM flappy paddle steering wheel. :)

Thanks for all the updates RapidRonnie.

I wonder if all those engine and transmission choices will make it over to the UK though?

Good question.. credit where credit is due though, SUK are bringing the whole range of engines and transmissions here for the Superb so i don't see why not for the Yeti.

• Like 1

So 9MPG better fuel economy but no price drop. It is actually 110EUR more expensive than the current 1.8TSI in the configurator. At least seems like the electronics options are gettin cheaper because the new SWING radio supports USB and SD cards and the BOLERO has built in bluetooth. I am not sure if the updated model in fact has some more standard options like the ligth assistant and rear power windows or they are present in the current Ambition trim.

So 9MPG better fuel economy but no price drop. It is actually 110EUR more expensive than the current 1.8TSI in the configurator. At least seems like the electronics options are gettin cheaper because the new SWING radio supports USB and SD cards and the BOLERO has built in bluetooth. I am not sure if the updated model in fact has some more standard options like the ligth assistant and rear power windows or they are present in the current Ambition trim.

Interesting on the options changes (so this makes the 2016 Yeti a Mk1b2 (Mk1 = original, Mk1b = Facelift, Mk1b2 = Facelift + engine etc revisions)...

9mpg in government figures - wonder what that will translate to in real life (30mpg for 1.8TSi to 35mpg?). Interesting to note the TDI 4WD DSG CO2 is not far off the 1.4 4WD DSG CO2, which if translates to mpg, means the 1.4 4WD DSG will be pretty competitive. I guess we'll see!

I like the idea of the 1.4 2WD DSG too, although my ideal would probably be the TDi 2WD DSG...

Interesting on the options changes (so this makes the 2016 Yeti a Mk1b2 (Mk1 = original, Mk1b = Facelift, Mk1b2 = Facelift + engine etc revisions)...

9mpg in government figures - wonder what that will translate to in real life (30mpg for 1.8TSi to 35mpg?). Interesting to note the TDI 4WD DSG CO2 is not far off the 1.4 4WD DSG CO2, which if translates to mpg, means the 1.4 4WD DSG will be pretty competitive. I guess we'll see!

I like the idea of the 1.4 2WD DSG too, although my ideal would probably be the TDi 2WD DSG...

The 1.8 tsi is going from the engine options.

The new 1.4 150ps should improve significantly on the 1.8 mpg figures though,high 30's?

You can't compare CO2 directly to mpg across petrol and diesel, there's more carbon (and energy) in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of petrol, that's why it costs more.